Sign in to follow this  
The WolfSpider

Sistermen and the biblical aquatic

I think about the Sistermen some time because I feel like there's something there.   I know about the Deep Ones and Shadow over Innsmouth associations but there's also biblical ones.  Mankind before the flood in legend had webbing between the fingers such as the Mark of House Borrell.  This got me thinking of the Belly of the Whale on Sweetsister and of course Jonah who it seems to reference.  All I can come up with though is this possibly GRRM's way of saying they are from.....before? 

But I don't know the Bible well and I'm wondering if anybody else has something to add to this or noticed anything further.

I didn't know the Bible mentions people with webbed fingers or toes. Can you give us some more details about that?

Regarding the "something more" part, we know that much of the ASOIAF world is made of fantasy versions of real-life Earth. Westeros is fantasy England, Valyria is fantasy Rome, etc. If The Martin read any of the sources you mentioned, that might have been the inspiration for him to give the Sistermen webbed fingers and toes. But that doesn't mean that the men, or their fingers, will figure prominently in the story.

Is there anyone else in this world with webbed fingers? I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Is there any connection between the Sistermen and the Ironborn, with their Drowned God and their legend of being descended from creatures of the sea?