UK Politics - Matt's Handcock

Werthead

That was easily the most awkward and self-contradictory briefing for some considerable time. It's very clear that the scientific advisors were on a different page to Boris and trying very hard to sound like they were on the same one, without much success.

Boris also managed to make a fairly nonsensical point by making his new "gotcher!" statement, "Well, if not now, when should we open up?" to which quite a few responses seemed to be, "well, when the vaccination programme is completed, obviously, which you just said would be in September or just a few weeks past the the July 19th date," which of course he ignored, aside from suggesting that summer would act as a firebreak to the spread of the virus, as it rather noticeably failed to be last year and in warmer temperatures are rather failing to be in other parts of the world.

I think the weakening of the link between the virus spread and the number of hospitalisations and deaths was very strongly demonstrated during the briefing, though (25,000 new cases versus 15 deaths and less than 2,000 hospitalisations), and there's certainly very good reason for optimism there, but the PM failed to make a compelling case for a "grand reopening" on July 19th as opposed to mid-September and certainly failed to make a case for removing mask use on public transport and in shops.

But there is also always a lag from case numbers rising to hospitalisations rising to deaths rising. If hospitalisations don't start rising at the beginning of August I think you can then be hopeful that hospitalisation and death will remain low despite infection rate rising.

Patel trying to criminalise refugees by giving them four-year prison sentences, which sounds like it violates Britain's international agreements and commitments on accepting refugees.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But there is also always a lag from case numbers rising to hospitalisations rising to deaths rising. If hospitalisations don't start rising at the beginning of August I think you can then be hopeful that hospitalisation and death will remain low despite infection rate rising.

Certainly for hospitalisations I think we're past that point now, the lag is 3-4 weeks, not more than that, and we've seen cases rising for a bit longer than that with a much, much more limited rise in hospitalisations and only a tiny rise in the number of deaths (from single figures a day to between 10 and 20). So clearly the vaccinations have already had a positive impact.

Just met David Burrowes whilst out walking the dog. I asked my former Tory MP what he thinks of the incumbent government. He said that while things have been challenging, he can understand people's frustrations re sleaze and incompetence. He said that he's glad he retired (he actually got beaten. Twice.). Seemed like a nice enough bloke.

51 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Technically they didn't just do that. Other people did it and they just reported it, which I think is perfectly fair to do. I think not reporting that people are making the comparison is more worthy of a raised eyebrow.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:
WTF. Beware the #deepwoke.

I'm sure some will bristle at this, perhaps post a confused emoji, because they know, deep down, that to be anti-woke basically makes you the polar opposite of decent. These people know, just like my mum who hides her politics from all of her friends knows, that their views are fucking abhorrent, and not usually tolerated by decent human beings. 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm sure some will bristle at this, perhaps post a confused emoji, because they know, deep down, that to be anti-woke basically makes you the polar opposite of decent. These people know, just like my mum who hides her politics from all of her friends knows, that their views are fucking abhorrent, and not usually tolerated by decent human beings. 

I’ll give you a little confused emoji for that, don’t worry. 

22 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7927578/

A link from the Covid thread discussing Long Covid in children.

This is my big fear for my children.  At this point I don't care what happens to all our anti-vaxxers, but I'm worried about kids who aren't allowed to have the vaccine yet.

4 minutes ago, argonak said:

This is my big fear for my children.  At this point I don't care what happens to all our anti-vaxxers, but I'm worried about kids who aren't allowed to have the vaccine yet.

Then you are better than me, I actively wish them harm. Anti vaxxers, anti maskers, anti lockdown. Fuck them all. 

https://unherd.com/2021/06/does-long-covid-really-exist/

The guy who debunks Covid deniers on Covidfaq wrote an interesting piece on long Covid. Essentially we still don’t know enough about it to make any solid claims about it, how common it is, whether people are actually getting it or whether it’s something else. 

At the moment I agree that it is being used as a political stick by a lot of people. ‘ what about long Covid’ is usually the response once it becomes clear that Covid deaths are falling. Personally I’m less concerned about it from everything I’ve read on the subject.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

https://unherd.com/2021/06/does-long-covid-really-exist/

The guy who debunks Covid deniers on Covidfaq wrote an interesting piece on long Covid. Essentially we still don’t know enough about it to make any solid claims about it, how common it is, whether people are actually getting it or whether it’s something else. 

At the moment I agree that it is being used as a political stick by a lot of people. ‘ what about long Covid’ is usually the response once it becomes clear that Covid deaths are falling. Personally I’m less concerned about it from everything I’ve read on the subject.

Pretty sure Wert has postes previously about a friend who was stricken by Long Covid last year. 

Long Covid was always a weird term, it’s really ‘Long Post-Covid Recovery’; Long Covid sounds more like this guy’s experience, who actually had Covid for 10 months:

*phone refuses to paste link so imagine a link here to a guy who had positive tests for 10 months*

Archived