UK Politics - Matt's Handcock

Werthead

48 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Estimates are that about 1500-2000 morons took seats they didn't have tickets for.

Roberto Mancini's son had to watch the first half sat on a staircase because some idiot threatened him with violence when he was asked to move.

Yeah lots definitely did. Mike Tindall had to break up a fight between two men who didn't have tickets in row in front of him.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe from now on all England matches should be played at 9 in the morning so yobs can’t spend the whole day drinking 

For a long time, Old Firm matches in Scotland had a police-mandated noon kickoff for this exact reason. Of course, the trouble didn't stop - it just meant drinking after the match - but it shifted from the stadium.

If I had shelled out 2 grand for a ticket then couldn't access my seat I'd be demanding a full refund from the FA. 

Not sure why everyone thinks this has anything to do with policing, we have fuck all with planning entry etc to the stadium. 

The chaos afterward I walked into yesterday due to people being arseholes around the stadium after is something we should have planned better for. People were still on duty at 0900 who started at 1400 the day before due to the number of crime scenes. 

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not sure why everyone thinks this has anything to do with policing, we have fuck all with planning entry etc to the stadium. 

Well, that may well be the case, but the police are responsible for maintaining public order. At every football match I've ever been to, coppers were everywhere. Haven't seen a single copper in any of the videos of these idiots.

There was an issue a while ago where we refused to basically provide free security for a multi billion pound industry for free, so you now see far more stewards, who obviously have less training and equipment.

I did like that one dude in the orange jacket who made it his life's aim to trip up every single person who came through the barriers with a hefty boot to the shin. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

There was an issue a while ago where we refused to basically provide free security for a multi billion pound industry for free, so you now see far more stewards, who obviously have less training and equipment.

I did like that one dude in the orange jacket who made it his life's aim to trip up every single person who came through the barriers with a hefty boot to the shin. 

I thought the clubs paid for policing. Has that stopped now? Or are the scenes on Sunday an FA/England situation?

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I thought the clubs paid for policing. Has that stopped now? Or are the scenes on Sunday an FA/England situation?

I'm not sure. It was a while ago so it may have been resolved (I'm not in that world anymore). They may contribute something, now but there use to be far far more police on duty at matches than there are now. 

Scottish government announcement on COVID measures:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57820417

The mask mandate remains, with hospitality to close at midnight and working from home to remain official advice until at least 9 August. Little bit of a dig here:

If government believes measures like this matter, and this government does, we should say so. We should do what is necessary to ensure compliance and we should be prepared to take any resulting flack from those who disagree. We shouldn't lift important restrictions to make our lives easier and then expect the public to take responsibility for doing the right thing anyway.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not sure. It was a while ago so it may have been resolved (I'm not in that world anymore). They may contribute something, now but there use to be far far more police on duty at matches than there are now. 

Thanks for that.

Shame about fewer coppers. When will we see the likes of Geordies punching horses again?

*wistful sigh*

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Scottish government announcement on COVID measures:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57820417

The mask mandate remains, with hospitality to close at midnight and working from home to remain official advice until at least 9 August. Little bit of a dig here:

I know she's not perfect. Nobody is. But, man, I fucking love Nicola Sturgeon. 

8 minutes ago, Leap said:

Why the fuck are we waiting until August, September and beyond to get our second jab when we're opening up now? For an extra 5-10% long term immunity?

I think there's a decent chance that it's because there isn't enough vaccine supply to bring it forward. They weren't expecting to need this much Pfizer so had to order more at the last minute. There's still theoretically about 7 million people who need first doses, even if it's unlikely many of them will come forward at this point, there needs to be a supply available to vaccinate them.

5 hours ago, Leap said:

We seriously need to switch to the original plan of waiting 2-3 weeks between jabs. Right now the most at-risk of transmission demographic is under 30s, most of whom are not eligible for their second jab yet. Why the fuck are we waiting until August, September and beyond to get our second jab when we're opening up now? For an extra 5-10% long term immunity? It's a much bigger disparity between first and second jabs surely, and yet we going through the third wave without that option. It's daft unless you're planning on there being a fourth, fifth and sixth wave.

When I originally booked my jabs the earliest date available for 2nd one was September but last week I cancelled it and rebooted for first week of August for anyone who's in a similar position.

This'll put the cat amongst the racists...

Tory MP says party must change attitude towards taking the knee

Conservatives urgently need to change their attitudes towards people taking the knee, an influential Tory MP has said amid an angry backlash against the government over the racist abuse of England footballers.

Steve Baker, the former minister and hard Brexit campaigner, broke cover on Tuesday to plead for his party to think again about dismissive attitudes towards the taking of the knee and calling for better understanding of the motives behind it.

Labour has been granted an urgent question in parliament on Wednesday on racism on social media after the abuse faced by players following the Euro 2020 final, and Baker said: “This may be a decisive moment for our party.”

“Much as we can’t be associated with calls to defund the police, we urgently need to challenge our own attitude to people taking a knee,” Baker wrote in a message to MPs on the Conservatives Against Racism, For Equality group. “I fear we are in danger of misrepresenting our own heart for those who suffer injustice.”

Also, we have this:

Concern is growing among some Conservative advisers and MPs that the strategy of pivoting towards the culture wars was backfiring.

One senior Tory called the situation “embarrassing” and highlighted the Conservative MP Lee Anderson who said he would not watch the team because they took the knee. “It was absolutely tragic, it’s a laughing stock,” they said.

“I think there needs to be a serious realisation soon in government that people simply don’t care about the culture war crap. They care about the cost of living, NHS and crime. They don’t want to see us starting fights with Marcus Rashford.”

All this, on top of that GB News guy taking the knee live on air, will have the gammons positively foaming.

Yup. Going hard on this stuff when people want to know what's going on with jobs, wage inequality, health and social care is a bizarre choice, though as usual the government's weakness has not really been exploited by Labour.

It sounds like the new Northern Research Group (NRG), formed by 50 northern Tory MPs and some allies, are also causing headaches by holding the rest of the party's feet to the fire over promises to level up the north and spread wealth nationally, which despite some good speeches, Boris hasn't actually done anything about yet, and those MPs are pointing out they might be gone at the next election if they don't make some headway.

'Ban online racists from football' is a lovely soundbite, but almost impossible to enforce (and where is the evidence that online wankers are going to football in the first place?) and why not go further. Ban anyone with a conviction for violence would be better for example (I'm guessing there would be a significant overlap).  

Archived