Round of 16: Belgium vs Portugal

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sure, but you slide in from the side and not from the back. If you need to play the tactical foul in midfield, there are better ways. This was really not about winning the ball, this was just commit the foul to stop the counter.

I was always taught there's no foul if you get all ball, and since I was almost always the fastest player on the pitch it was my job to hunt guys down once they crossed the midline and similar tackles were celebrated if you made no contact with the other player, which is what I believed happened.  

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was always taught there's no foul if you get all ball, and since I was almost always the fastest player on the pitch it was my job to hunt guys down once they crossed the midline and similar tackles were celebrated if you made no contact with the other player, which is what I believed happened.  

If you avoid contact with the other player fine. But there was quite a bit of contact. Looked more like he clipped KDB's leg. Like I said, that wasn't a great tackle. It was a tactical foul, and the way he executed it, it was certain yellow. Red would've been a bit too harsh. But that it wasn't a great tackling is not really debatable.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was always taught there's no foul if you get all ball

Not technically true back then but depending how long ago that was possibly true enough for a rule of thumb. Definitely not true now.

Coaches do tend to teach these notions as if they were the actual laws and not an interpretation. ‘Last man’ is the most famous example, ‘can’t raise your hands to another player’ is another. These things don’t appear anywhere in the Laws. Neither does ‘no foul if you get all ball’.

Anyway, my FF prescience is amazing. Brought in Perisic, he got COVID. Brought in de Ligt, well…

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If you avoid contact with the other player fine. But there was quite a bit of contact. Looked more like he clipped KDB's leg. Like I said, that wasn't a great tackle. It was a tactical foul, and the way he executed it, it was certain yellow. Red would've been a bit too harsh. But that it wasn't a great tackling is not really debatable.

The contact to me looked like it was after the ball was dislodged. Like how you can make some contact after you block a shot cleanly in basketball.

This game is turning into a mess though.

4 minutes ago, mormonte said:

Not technically true back then but depending how long ago that was possibly true enough for a rule of thumb. Definitely not true now.

Coaches do tend to teach these notions as if they were the actual laws and not an interpretation. ‘Last man’ is the most famous example, ‘can’t raise your hands to another player’ is another. These things don’t appear anywhere in the Laws. Neither does ‘no foul if you get all ball’.

My first season of American football started in the fall of '00, so I would say maybe from '94 until then. Every coach planted me in the center of the field and basically told me to do just that, although it was more ideal if I could get parallel or ahead beforehand. I loved striking the ball at the same time as the other player and making them flip over as I retained position and brought the ball back up in an attacking fashion.

Too bad I was absolutely terrible at scoring goals.

Archived