How dangerous would wildling be armed with castle steel weapons

Mrstrategy

A fine victory,” Ser Kevan said when he saw Tyrion. “Your wild men fought well.”

His father’s eyes were on him, pale green flecked with gold, so cool they gave Tyrion a chill. “Did that surprise you, Father?” he asked. “Did it upset your plans? We were supposed to be butchered, were we not?

Lord Tywin drained his cup, his face expressionless. “I put the least disciplined men on the left, yes. I anticipated that they would break.

Not very. Think of the new recruits at the wall. Those that haven't had formal training are basically useless. It takes a lot if discipline to be effective in war. Being good at killing is important but not breaking and running when attacked is crucial. Men who don't follow orders die and get others killed. That being said yes they are brave,but bravery can't outflank the enemy. They remind me of dothraki. Very brave warriors but against the discipline of the Unsullied they could not win. I don't recall the exact number of Unsullied that stood up to thousands more dothraki in Essos. Just look at what Stannis did with his meager army against all the might of the wildlings. Yes Stannis had better weapons but the sheer number of wildlings mammoths and giants should have ensured victory but the wildlings army were completely undisciplined and broke the minute Stannis fell upon them.

It really depends on the role you want the wildlings to play. Clearly they have some knowledge of strategy and tactics from a warfare perspective. Mance deploys a multi prong strategy to cross the wall, tells Jon he can basically force passings at multiple other places, and sends multiple parties to draw their strength away from CB. He also has clearly been training them in formations, since he references making three lines of spears and drums being sounded to form squares during the battle at the wall.

Give them chainmail hauberks, iron helms, and actual polearms and they might have turned Stannis' forces

The Lannisters gave the hill tribes steel weapons and it wasn't long before the Vale started complaining about how much more dangerous they had become. Of course, the hill tribes didn't change the basics of what they were doing. They didn't try to suddenly become knights or ranked soldiers. Giving the Free Folk steel weapons would make them more dangerous. It just wouldn't turn them into soldiers.

Archived