Rick and Morty Season NOW Season 7...Look Who's Talking...

Jaxom 1974

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And Episode 3 felt like it was all about set up. For what, I don't know. But it felt like it was setting something up...

Damn, I wish I'd used as few words as you did, because that's really what I meant to say.

I feel both episodes 1 and 3 set things up for later in the season.

I enjoyed the episode as a character piece. Morty breaking someone else's heart, and his grief at that, was actually touching. It wasn't the most amusing episode, to be sure, though Summer's misadventure with Rick was fun.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Planetina again. That was a fun spoof of Captain Planet.

9 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Damn, I wish I'd used as few words as you did, because that's really what I meant to say.

I feel both episodes 1 and 3 set things up for later in the season.

It might not even be this season.  A lot of this show is setting up big things down the line, like the Citadel of Rick episode from two seasons ago that still hasn't paid off.  If I recall, it took two seasons for Phoenix Person to return as well after he was killed and reanimated by the galactic government. 

I need to be more careful when using YouTube until I’m able too see these episodes. 

Spoiler titles keep popping up under what is recommended for me.

“Morty and Summer’s Incest Baby”  “Rick has a Horse Child”

What the hell is going on this season?

14 hours ago, Ran said:

I liked the episode, to a point, but it's not a particularly strong one for the series.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I liked it better than the third episode, which I thought was pretty weak, mainly due to the fact that the fourth episode had some good jokes in there.

All in all though, it felt quite lazy. You can even see it a bit in the writer's perspective segment after. They fell in love with a concept that could fill half-an-episode and then they haphazardly slapped the CHUD and Summer/Beth subplots on top of it.

EDIT: It has reminded me that I still need to see the original C.H.U.D. film, but I guess they are not really horse related?

Edited by Veltigar

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

For some reason ‘Horse-mmunity’ cracked me up, and seemed to sum up the type of humour they were aiming for here.

The president shouting "one hundred percent male marines" got me good.

"This is pretty out there, even for us."

I think that sums it up. Gross-out amusing in a LCD kind of way, but it did feel like something written on a dare. Amusing, but disposable.

It also feels like they've recognised the gift they have in the hands of the Obama-riffing Keith David President character, which I hope they won't now massively overuse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, Werthead said:

It also feels like they've recognised the gift they have in the hands of the Obama-riffing Keith David President character, which I hope they won't now massively overuse.

You kind of called this one…

I thought the episode was pretty great, though. I can’t believe I didn’t recognize Timothy Olyphant’s voice until I saw the credits. 

On 7/26/2021 at 2:04 PM, Nictarion said:

You kind of called this one…

I thought the episode was pretty great, though. I can’t believe I didn’t recognize Timothy Olyphant’s voice until I saw the credits. 

Yeah, that was a filler one if there ever was one. I mean, Keith David is great and getting more Keith David is something I'm generally in favour of, but I do feel the over-use is kicking in there.

Also rewatching the show at the moment, and the first two seasons (and elements of the third) are a lot stronger and more character-based than the last two. I'm worried they're hitting the traditional sitcom problem that at some point the characters have to stop growing or changing because the writers have literally run out of places to take them without them leaving the show or dying, and that point might be on them.

There's also been a softening of the show's edges, and I'm wondering from their other workload if Harmon and Roiland have effectively checked out at this point. First episode of this season was really good though.

Edited by Werthead

49 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, that was a filler one if there ever was one. I mean, Keith David is great and getting more Keith David is something I'm generally in favour of, but I do feel the over-use is kicking in there.

Also rewatching the show at the moment, and the first two seasons (and elements of the third) are a lot stronger and more character-based than the last two. I'm worried they're hitting the traditional sitcom problem that at some point the characters have to stop growing or changing because the writers have literally run out of places to take them without them leaving the show or dying, and that point might be on them.

There's also been a softening of the show's edges, and I'm wondering from their other workload if Harmon and Roiland have effectively checked out at this point. First episode of this season was really good though.

Every season of Rick and Morty is pretty much the same in my eyes.  They hit a couple of home runs, have a couple of good episodes, a few forgettable ones, and one or two bad ones.  

This season seems on pace for that.  I don't think there's been an outright bad episode yet this season, but the third one was pretty close. 

Edited by briantw