Rick and Morty Season NOW Season 7...Look Who's Talking...

Jaxom 1974

That episode was crap. I get what they were trying to do, but it really didn't work. 

During my rewatch I just passed the Season 3 episode where Rick and Morty's toxic selves are removed and there's a 5-second Voltron gag with drones which is one and done. This episode was the same joke dragged out and laboriously exploited past the point any sane writer would have killed it.

Episode 2 was my personal favorite. It even had rewatch value.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:13 PM, Werthead said:

Also rewatching the show at the moment, and the first two seasons (and elements of the third) are a lot stronger and more character-based than the last two. I'm worried they're hitting the traditional sitcom problem that at some point the characters have to stop growing or changing because the writers have literally run out of places to take them without them leaving the show or dying, and that point might be on them.

Yeah, I'm afraid of that too. I was really hoping that since several seasons have been ordered they would develop a larger story, or at least multi-episode stories.
They did connect two episodes, but that was a bit disappointing.
I'd say the fact that they have so many seasons planned means they're in no hurry to take  risks at this point, and it's understandable to start with self-contained episodes to adapt to the new rhythm.
I do hope that once their team is comfortable they can start more ambitious things like a full-season arc. Unfortunately, I understand Dan Harmon may not be in favor, and Justin Roiland is already kinda exploring that in Solar Opposites. With so many episodes to write, there's bound to be entire seasons that aren't really satisfying.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:37 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Like it. Hate it. Criticize.  All legit.  But Morty's yellow ferret slinking out of a parking garage was actually kinda funny..

true, that and boob world were the saving graces.

I liked quite a few jokes in this one, personally. The parking garage, yes, especially when we see that he has to pay the toll. Summer's voice over invasion was terrific, as was the reveal that they were aliens inside their ear canals. I did not expect the return of the giant incest space baby but it was fun, especially with Summer's reveal. Lampooning anime characters with the "original" Go-tron team was cute. The tag at the end was brutal but funny.

The various Ricks were not the most inspired, though, and it felt like there was an unusual amount of "dead air" -- not that there wasn't dialogue, but that the dialogue that was there was padding things out.

On 8/5/2021 at 7:04 AM, Ran said:

I liked quite a few jokes in this one, personally. The parking garage, yes, especially when we see that he has to pay the toll. Summer's voice over invasion was terrific, as was the reveal that they were aliens inside their ear canals. I did not expect the return of the giant incest space baby but it was fun, especially with Summer's reveal. Lampooning anime characters with the "original" Go-tron team was cute. The tag at the end was brutal but funny.

The various Ricks were not the most inspired, though, and it felt like there was an unusual amount of "dead air" -- not that there wasn't dialogue, but that the dialogue that was there was padding things out.

Yeah, I'm torn on episodes of this show sometimes.  Last week's episode was really nothing special from a storytelling perspective, but the jokes landed for me.  I laughed out loud a lot during it, and given that Rick & Morty is a comedy, that matters.

This week's episode was certainly more inspired from an artistic and narrative standpoint, but I'm not sure I laughed a single time.

So now I don't know what to think.

Yeah, this week's episode was very good, maybe the second-best of the season, even if it wasn't the funniest. It felt a lot more back to Season 2 quality, and a strong emphasis on using continuity (lots of little shout-outs to S1 and S2 episodes that you could miss if you weren't mid-rewatch) to tell a good story. Roiland and Harmon have such a weird attitude to continuity, suggesting they don't give a shit and deliberately subverting the idea of story arcs, but then they'll do a continuity-heavy episode and it'll usually be pretty good.

6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, this week's episode was very good, maybe the second-best of the season, even if it wasn't the funniest. It felt a lot more back to Season 2 quality, and a strong emphasis on using continuity (lots of little shout-outs to S1 and S2 episodes that you could miss if you weren't mid-rewatch) to tell a good story. Roiland and Harmon have such a weird attitude to continuity, suggesting they don't give a shit and deliberately subverting the idea of story arcs, but then they'll do a continuity-heavy episode and it'll usually be pretty good.

I think it's more that they don't care about violating continuity accidentally or being perfect about all those shitty details, but they're absolutely happy to lean into big points and reference earlier things, especially if it results in something awesome. Community was pretty similar in that vein too - there were plenty of callbacks to previous episodes, details that were set up across multiple seasons, etc - but they also broke some of these things as the show went on, and Harmon didn't care that much. 

Agree with others about this episode being not particularly funny, as a whole, but being very good in terms of developing characters and having some real feeling behind it rather than just going through the motions to setup jokes.

Yeah, and a distinct sense that Birderperson was actually a pretty great character and killing him off on just his second appearance was a big mistake. At least they waited three seasons before bringing him back, they didn't do it too easily.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, and a distinct sense that Birderperson was actually a pretty great character and killing him off on just his second appearance was a big mistake. At least they waited three seasons before bringing him back, they didn't do it too easily.

Well, they kind of brought him back last season, no?

Just now, Kaligator said:

Well, they kind of brought him back last season, no?

As Phoenixperson? Not quite the same thing, until the end (I vaguely recall; I'm not quite there in the rewatch, just did the train metanarrative episode).

19 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Didn't much care for the latest episode. I'm here for the jokes primarily, so if that doesn't work I'm not on board. I'd put this in the average bucket.

I appreciate when the show tries to add depth to the characters and/or provide some long-term storytelling and set-up, but most of the episodes like that in the past were a lot funnier than last week's showing like the Citadel of Rick anthology or the one where Rick escapes from space prison.