Rick and Morty Season NOW Season 7...Look Who's Talking...

Jaxom 1974

6 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

It was - I did not remotely see it coming and it was funny as hell.

I thought it was clever that they mentioned that episode earlier in the episode too, which made it feel less likely that they'd revisit it in the end.  

A strong Spaced vibe in them getting permission to use Star Wars assets and sound effects and then going absolutely fucking crazy ripping into it with a fiery passion. Very nice.

Bit low-hanging fruit, though, and as much as I love Keith David, they are running the risk of overusing him. It is a perennial problem with all franchises in which Keith David appears (Saints Row going as far as using Keith David as another character and then introducing Keith David playing a character literally called "The Actor Keith David") but R&M is usually a bit more restrained than that. This has been the callback season, though (they even brought back the "Oh My God" microrobot!), so maybe that ties in with it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roiland voiced the main characters and a bunch of supporting ones on Rick & Morty plus was the main writer, and responsible for keeping the show on track in spite of Harmon's infamous procrastinations and inability to meet a deadline.

I think it'd probably have been better to have cancelled it outright. Ironically, this will probably end up like Community Season 4. Although the show has had a bit of a return to form in the most recent season, it's still past its best and I was doubtful they could keep it going for another 4-5 seasons to meet their contract with Adult Swim in the first place.

Roiland hasn't had a writing credit on an episode season since 3, and stated he took a significant step back with season 4 -- presumably to focus on other projects like Solar Opposites and running Squanch Games (which I see he resigned from, per news). Fans discussing this have noted that Zooms featuring the writer's room always have Harmon there, but Roiland hasn't been in them for at least the past two seasons, if not longer. 

So, the voice is the thing he contributes at this point, and I guess they could easily find one or more people who can do his voices. Roiland even reviewed fan impersonations at one point. There's one fellow in particular whom Roiland has actually spoken with about it -- his Morty is eerily close, and he just needs to work on his Rick -- and there's another whose Rick and Morty he said are basically spot on (Mr. Meeseeks needs work, though):

To be fair, it's not "just" the voice, I guess. As I understand it, Roiland would improv a lot, so to what degree that's still a thing in the later seasons when he stepped back, I don't know, and that may be harder to capture from someone who's not got a knack for it.

Edited by Ran

Probably off-topic, but I'm not sure what to make of the fact that these very serious accusations date back to 2020 but that Roiland was only dropped by everyone when formally charged. I guess the surprising thing is that it took over two years to charge someone with a felony (?) and that the person walked free in the meantime (?).

I guess it was time for Rick & Morty to find a conclusion...

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Roiland hasn't had a writing credit on an episode season since 3, and stated he took a significant step back with season 4 -- presumably to focus on other projects like Solar Opposites and running Squanch Games (which I see he resigned from, per news). Fans discussing this have noted that Zooms featuring the writer's room always have Harmon there, but Roiland hasn't been in them for at least the past two seasons, if not longer. 

So, the voice is the thing he contributes at this point, and I guess they could easily find one or more people who can do his voices. Roiland even reviewed fan impersonations at one point. There's one fellow in particular whom Roiland has actually spoken with about it -- his Morty is eerily close, and he just needs to work on his Rick -- and there's another whose Rick and Morty he said are basically spot on (Mr. Meeseeks needs work, though):

To be fair, it's not "just" the voice, I guess. As I understand it, Roiland would improv a lot, so to what degree that's still a thing in the later seasons when he stepped back, I don't know, and that may be harder to capture from someone who's not got a knack for it.

"Aw, jeez, Rick, why do we sound a little different?"
"You know why."