Climate: Il fait VRAIMENT CHAUD (fka un petit)

Week

Higher temperatures and the 'ability' for air to hold more water vapor/moisture also means hurricanes can increase in intensity (as in more rainfall). The actual relationship is more complex of course, but you can see the trend easily from this - even !C is sufficient to see a measurable difference.

24 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

@Rippounet

Just a casual question - does this thread title translate into something obscene in slang? I’m always worried when “froid” and “chaud” are used.  :smoking:  :lmao:

eta: “un peu chaud” means a little warm, doesn’t it? 

Very possible - my high school French has not improved in the decade and a half since. :dunce:

Edit: is it a little hot one? As opposed to a little hot.

2 hours ago, Week said:

Very possible - my high school French has not improved in the decade and a half since. :dunce:

Edit: is it a little hot one? As opposed to a little hot.

I was thinking of the fact that when you say you’re cold, you actually say J’ai froid, because je suis froid (I am cold) means I’m frigid. Iirc, that is! :lol:

If anyone wants to determine the wet bulb temperature in their area, you can refer to a psychometric chart. Weather reports often give the relative humidity percent in addition to the temperature. Psychometric charts have curved lines indicating % relative humidity. Find your temperature and relative humidity, and from that point follow a straight line at 45 degrees to the point of 100% relative humidity. The temperature there is your wet bulb temperature.

The same can be achieved using dew point. When given the dew point temperature, follow a horizontal line from the 100% relative humidity point to the relative humidity that crosses your dry bulb temperature, then follow a 45 degree line to 100 percent relative humidity. The temperature there is your wet bulb temperature.

Or plug those numbers into an app, I suppose, if you really insist on doing things the easy way.

14 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

The west coast of Canada set Canadian heat records, 46.6 C, yesterday, not what you expect in BC.  

Located an hour and some distance from where I grew up, Kamloops is expected to hit FORTY NINE today. Absolute insanity. Had to call my Dad and convince him to put his penchant for yard puttering aside for a few days.

The heat dome is just moving on from the Island [only expected to hit 33 this afternoon] but it was a bitter near-week that honestly felt like persecution. It just followed you everywhere. Had to take my pup Tulip out to the truck to soak up some AC three or four times a day, cold baths for her, cold showers for me. Pavement temperature way to hot for paws.

My electric heat pump install can't come soon enough [just got my first round of quotes and whew, them prices]   

Well, we just had a summer thunder-boomer, the kind where the skies open up and pour the water down for a short bit, and then the sun comes out. Temperature dropped from 33 to 27, but I expect it to go back up again. We had one of those in the night as well.

3 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

Well, we just had a summer thunder-boomer, the kind where the skies open up and pour the water down for a short bit, and then the sun comes out. Temperature dropped from 33 to 27, but I expect it to go back up again. We had one of those in the night as well.

Got some rumblings just north of you but no rain yet. 

5 hours ago, L'oiseau français said:

@Rippounet

Just a casual question - does this thread title translate into something obscene in slang? I’m always worried when “froid” and “chaud” are used.  :smoking:  :lmao:

eta: “un peu chaud” means a little warm, doesn’t it? 

Short answer is no.
"Il fait" is really about the weather. "C'est" would have been far more ambiguous.
In fact "c'est chaud" has dozens of different meanings depending on the context.

As you said, there's a real difference between BE and HAVE when it comes to heat in French, with HAVE being about actual heat (j'ai chaud) and BE being about readiness (je suis chaud(e)) (general readiness, though of course "ready to have/pursue sex" is a very common meaning).

jeeeesssuuuuuzzzz

Edit: now up to 233 heat related deaths in the lower mainland

Edit II: news feed I saw that on are walking that back already, 233 deaths so far, but not all related to the heat

18 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

jeeeesssuuuuuzzzz

Edit: now up to 233 heat related deaths in the lower mainland

Edit II: news feed I saw that on are walking that back already, 233 deaths so far, but not all related to the heat

I had to look that up as well. On a normal weekend there are 130 deaths reported, so 233 over 4 days means a lot of extra deaths, but the causes have not been determined yet.

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I saw the premier’s press conference and various interviews with people about the fires, and what stood out to me was the comment that two fires are involved here, the wildfire and a fire in the town itself. They had no information about how the fire in the town got started, they only said there was a lot of “speculation and rumour” going around.

Please, please don’t tell me there was a Catholic Church in the town and some idiot decided to burn it down in the middle of the worst heat wave in Canadian history.

Archived