House of the Dragon Filming in Spain in October

Westeros

4 hours ago, Ran said:

There is no jungle in the stormlands, or indeed in Westeros as Dorne is too arid. It's a temperate rain forest, It's like the Pacific Northwest rain forest. The Pacific Northwest is also known to be subject to cyclones, which is just a different word for hurricanes. There have been cyclones that would be measured as equivalent to category 3 hurricanes if they took place in the Atlantic.

Re: Cornwall, I think it's fine for something that looks like it's just flashback material.

Not sure how familiar you are with where the planetary equator of Planetos is located. The Atlas of Ice and Fire (a source that seems to be pretty accurate when speculating about all this stuff) does indeed make  the Stormlands a tropical area. Imagine the Southern part of Westeros: the Stormlands (but rather it's southern part), Dorne and the southern part of the Reach located where the Caribbeans are. Or the Sahara. 

Either way, it's the winds that decide the climate. The direction they blow. And the mountains. These two are rather important in our case as well. That's why the Sahara is dry as hell, and the Caribbeans are a tropical region, even tho they are equally far away from the equator. 

Now, to understand how easily climate can be influenced by mountains, one may look at South America and the Andes. Now divide South Ametica into a northern and a southern part. See how on the northern part the wind blows from the South to the West, while on the southern side it's the opposite? Clouds can't pass mountain, especially taller ones. The mountains catch the clouds, but not the winds. The wind blows still, but the clouds remain on one side, making the other side super dry. That's why the region of the Amazonas is so green. The clouds do not pass the Andes, it is easy to see that, because the Western side of the  mountains are pretty much a wasteland (the dryest place on Earth is actually somewhere in the Andes).  Another significant thing is that wind never blows towards the equator, it is always where it comes from. So, wind brings clouds from the oceans, but clouds can't pass the mountains, so they all remain on one side, making the other one dry. And when winds blow from the land towards the ocean, deserts are created, as those lands can't receive water from clouds. That's how Sahara was created, and why the western side of the Andes is so dry. The winds from mainland bring no clouds. 

Now what significance does that bear in all this. We know that Dorne and mostly the Stormlands as well are separated from the Reach by the Red Mountains. But the two regions (Dorne and the Stormlands) have no mountains between each other, as it is the Sea if Dorne that separates the two (along with the Red Mountains, yes). And clouds can pass the sea. So what would actually make sense is that the same wind that brings the storms and clouds to the Stormlands from the South of the planet (in this case from a souteastern direction) should bring it to Dorne as well, as there isn't a natural barrier (aka mountains) that stops it. Logically Dorne should be the exact opposite of what George made it into. 

Now you were talking about the Pacific Northwest rainforests, but the two arent comparable. It is located in the temperate climatic zone (and is relatively up North inside that as well), whereas the Stormlands are supposedly on the northern side of the hot climatic zone. 

To me, it still doesn't matter. When I read about Dorne, I won't care that it isn't  supposed to be the way it is. George isn't a geographist (neither am I, but I really loved it in school), and it should not matter. But then the Stepstones are portrayed on maps as rather similar to Dorne, which should make them hardly anything like Cornwall. (It doesn't matter how they would look like in case it'd be on Earth). After all, island should never be like that when they are where the Stepstones are. 

I hope that wasn't hard to understand. 

But hey, I'm really open if I'm wrong at anything. Would like to hear your opinion about the Atlas of Ice and Fire. I tend to give it's soeculations a lot of credit. They seem rather convincing, to be honest. 

14 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lord Varys

That's why I said I think no one source got all the details right. My other point wasn't about the quarrel specifically but more about how the cast in general is too young across the board.

If we start to try to unify or combine conflicting sources then we enter very speculative territory. We do have an outlandish version of the Daemon-Rhaenyra-Criston story from Mushroom which we can easily dismiss as nonsense and we have a rather convincing and reasonable account from Eustace. The latter just makes sense, the other just doesn't.

A rather crucial point in context is that Criston Cole himself wouldn't have remained Rhaenyra's sworn shield after 111 AC if the slut had tried to seduce him. If just Daemon slept with her - as Eustace claims - then this actually adds another layer to Criston's loathing of Daemon. Not only did Daemon get what Criston craved, he also dishonored the king's daughter, a woman Criston may have hoped to marry while still a maiden.

If we assume the Mushroom account was true we should expect a clash between Daemon and Criston over Rhaenyra's spoiled honor, possibly a duel to the death.

New high-resolution spy photos in Daily Mail UK clearly show Daemon (Mat Smith) with unsheathed DARK SISTER

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10003953/House-Dragon-SPOILER-Matt-Smiths-Prince-Daemon-Targaryen-appears-DEAD-shore.html

(they made a stupid clickbait title "appears to be dead"; it's clear in context that he stabbed the sword into the sand, then laid down next to it on the beach (for some reason) so it only looks like that from a weird angle)

in blurry shots last week we thought we saw a four legged dragon but director Greg Yaitanes denied it on social media

possibly the tourney of 114 AC, when Criston Cole killed Joffrey Lonmouth at Rhaenyra and Laenor's wedding. We saw the confirmed Joffrey Lonmouth actor in Cornwall a few days ago.

I don’t really mind if they tweak the sigils a little.  They’re inevitably going to change some things, so I’m more concerned with how well-developed the characters are and that the show has consistent internal logic (which we all know GOT did not). I think if we fixate too much on small details, we’re only setting ourselves up for disappointment.

16 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Now that I think about it, there is something a bit strange about Alicent’s line, “Ser Criston protects the princess from her enemies, but who protects the princess from Ser Criston?” I never quite understood it, and I haven’t seen it discussed much. 

I guess there are two ways to interpret this:

1. Alicent realized that Criston Cole was one of Rhaenyra's staunchest followers and she was trying to drive a wedge between them by implying that something fishy was going on. Such comments were likely directed at Viserys I who should start to doubt Criston's intentions.

2. She had already realized that Criston Cole was in love/infatuated with Rhaenyra and she wanted to put the idea that this could lead to a scandal into the mind of the king and his court.

In any case, this line definitely implies that Criston's interests with Rhaenyra weren't entirely innocent ... at least in the eyes of Alicent Hightower. Which isn't worth all that much considering how she would have viewed her stepdaughter at that time.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:02 PM, Lord Varys said:

even more so in light of the fact that their mother most definitely wouldn't have told them all day long that 'Aemond must never allowed to mount Vhagar'. Nobody would have thought that the boy might do this and his royal father would have never allowed it, apparently.

I think it's a matter of "Bad Aemond's trying to mount Aunt Laena's dragon and we have to stop him" rather than what you say. It makes more sense for the situation. Would you agree? 

On 9/18/2021 at 9:42 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don’t really mind if they tweak the sigils a little.  They’re inevitably going to change some things, so I’m more concerned with how well-developed the characters are and that the show has consistent internal logic (which we all know GOT did not). I think if we fixate too much on small details, we’re only setting ourselves up for disappointment.

It really depends on how much debt they will give to the children of Rhaenyra, Daemon, Alicent and Laenor's supposed bastard sons, Alyn and Addam. That being said, I don't think the children of Aegon II need much more screentime than required. This kind of applies to Aegon the Younger and Prince Viserys as well. And still, the surviving three (Aegon, Jaehaera, Viserys) younger children might receive more screentime in case the show will move into the time of Aegon III's regency. I'd like to think the show will end with Aegon III's coronation, the marriage between Aegon and Jaehaera, and Viserys' return. They very well could make all this happening in a short timespan of a few days. 

The somewhat older characters like Baela, Rhaena, Joffrey, Daeron, and even Luke and Jace to some extent, however, they really need 'subplots' to fill the space around them, otherwise we might not get the true weight of the conflict. On the other hand these will likely be portrayed as young adults, so I guess Sara Snow definitely will be included, or they make Jace have a crush on Helaena. I suppose the show will include love interests to these people (maybe not to Joffrey). 

I believe they are in a lack of characters, so I'm kind of confident they won't cut out anything, especially because they might end up having no content to show in later seasons beside what the book mentions. 

7 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I think it's a matter of "Bad Aemond's trying to mount Aunt Laena's dragon and we have to stop him" rather than what you say. It makes more sense for the situation. Would you agree? 

I don't think it makes much sense, to be sure. For one, as I said, Rhaenyra's boys and Aemond wouldn't have interacted all that much - especially not young Joffrey who was barely three years old and had grown up exclusively on Dragonstone with the family only visiting court occasionally for feasts and the like. But even if Joff had been raised in the same castle as Aemond - at the age of three he wouldn't have had any inclination about the family feud and even less inclination about said feud involving dragons.

The entire idea that Rhaenyra's sons would have problems with a boy of Alicent's claiming Vhagar is kind of weird - nobody expected Laena to die and, to our knowledge, nobody expected that any of the Velaryon descendants were to claim Vhagar after Laena's sudden death.

This kind of tantrum only makes sense if Joffrey and Aemond were 'sworn enemies' or if he had overheard that his mother had specific plans for Vhagar now that she was riderless. But none of Rhaenyra's family were dragonless at that time, and Daemon and his daughters (who may have been lacking eggs/hatchlings at the time) weren't yet part of their family/faction. But the idea that any of the twin girls would have been allowed to mount Vhagar in 120 AC would have been far-fetched indeed.

11 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The real question is how this little kid managed to sneak outside without anyone noticing (and how he managed it again during the Storming of the Dragonpit). Worst guards ever.

The latter makes some sense considering the madness of the night ... the former was apparently due to a three-year-old being, traditionally, an early riser who could sneak out of his bedroom in a castle he wasn't living in and which must have been a completely foreign place for him.

It doesn't really make much sense. They should have woken up a virtual army of servants on their way outside.

46 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I suppose Joffrey as a 3 year-old didn't really get too much about the Green-Black conflict, and might have seem Aemond as a person he can hang up on, follow, etc.. That thingy kids might do. His notion that Aemond should not ride Vhagar (or any other dragon) might be the result of his young age and that he himself wasn't allowed to approach dragons…? Maybe. Kids think that way sometimes. 

Basically the kid didn't see Aemond as an enemy, started following him, and Aemond hit him when he became triggered enough. 

36 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The real question is how this little kid managed to sneak outside without anyone noticing (and how he managed it again during the Storming of the Dragonpit). Worst guards ever.

I can imagine guards not being bothered by him going anywhere while he accompanied/followed Aemond. Tho not sure then why wouldn't Aemond tell them to bring him back to his mother. As of how he got out of his bedchamber/room, well, I can imagine different scenarios how that might've happened, but I don't necesarilly want to bore you with my headcanon. 

It's night time Monday in England now, no spy photos have been loaded - yet - from the new tournament set in Surrey.

We did, however, come across an intriguing, unconfirmed leak of which episodes each of the four directors is doing. It came with the casting sheet for Laenor: https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1439989786241011716/1439989779798634500/-CP7PeIE.jpg:large

• Miguel Sapochnik: episodes 1, 6, & 7
  • Greg Yaitanes: episodes 2, 3, & 10
  • Clare Kilner: episodes 4, 5, & 9
  • Geeta Patel: episodes 8

We managed to see the "Clapper" in a spy photo from a scene with Young Laenor in it, which pretty clearly said "episode 105" on it. We also think we spotted Clare Kilner filming it. That does line up with this. Moreover, we prominently saw Miguel Sapochnik walking around during the big beach battle scene filmed this week. Other rumors suggest Laenor may die around episode 7 (someone listed as "Corey's comrade" appears in episode 7...as in Qarl Correy). 

We have no idea what the time scale for Season 1 will be: is the Dance going to start at the beginning of Season 2...or Season 3?

Because there's a decade worth of time between the spy photos of Laena & Laenor's double funeral, and the outbreak of the war. Not too much happens in the Rogue Prince in that time period but it's a decade of story time; they may want to use a second season to round out the secondary characters more....i.e. actually devote time to introducing Stark, Lannister, and Greyjoy characters (like a "rise of Tyland Lannister on the small council" subplot). Also the sheer amount of time they're devoting to the War for the Stepstones...might it extend into Season 2?

That's the question.  Unfortunately we didn't really spot directors during the funeral scene back in May.

The issue is...if this schedule is even remotely accurate...they might be padding out the War for the Stepstones to such an extent that the season one FINALE is just some big invented battle in the Stepstones. We do know Greg Yaitanes is filming a big battle there.  Would we see such a battle in episode 3 ?  That's very early...and we've seen adult Matt Smith in it. Leaning more towards episode 10.

Uncertain. IF this director list is accurate, Clare Kilner would be handling episode 9, but Yaitanes - who seems to be handling most action scenes - would handle episode 10?

Well...I actually think the War for the Stepstones will take place mid-season, around episodes 6 to 7 and be covered by Sapochnik. While episode 9 or so....might not be a huge action scene, but something like Ned Stark's execution; a major death, but due to intrigue. 

I don't know. The story structure of the Rogue Prince just doesn't fit that well.

18 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

We have no idea what the time scale for Season 1 will be: is the Dance going to start at the beginning of Season 2...or Season 3?

I've no idea about their plans, but as I've said since the beginning I don't really think they should rush to the Dance. To make the war something the audience cares about they have to make the viewers like the people and understand their motivations.

And that needs depth. Depth that cannot really be created after the war has already started because, if things are adapted more or less faithfully, most characters will rarely meet and interact with each other. Aegon and Rhaenyra only meet when Aegon kills Rhaenyra, Daemon and Rhaenyra are mostly apart, Criston Cole and Rhaenyra never meet during the Dance, etc.

In light of all that I certainly could see them coming up with their own stories for the 120s and/or moving events around so they do not have to jump to the Dance immediately.

For instance, they could really show how things between the families deteriorate after 120 AC or how Daemon and Rhaenyra really start to loathe Otto Hightower after he is Hand of the King again.

And, as you suggest, they should also play up some of the secondary players during the Dance. Cregan Stark, Tyland Lannister, Larys Strong, etc.

One also imagines that, since the Velaryons are all involved in the Stepstones war, we will also see the Triarchy prominently during the Dance. Which is really a good decision on their part since that really adds new elements to the show, things we didn't really see in GoT.

Archived