House of the Dragon Filming in Spain in October

Westeros

19 hours ago, RyanWidjaja1995 said:

By the way, I'm glad that David Benioff and D. B. Weiss (D&D) are not involved in this show. Hopefully, Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik could do a much better thing this time.

Indeed. Anything without D&D will most likely be better than the dogshit quality of S7 and S8. 

Welcome to the forum!

9 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Indeed. Anything without D&D will most likely be better than the dogshit quality of S7 and S8. 

Welcome to the forum!

I should also add that House of the Dragon would have a good amount of canon material backing it. Game of Thrones, on the other hand, overtook the novels around the middle of the show. D&D had simplified the book canon a bit during the beginning (like eliminating King Jaehaerys II; the show simply made King Aerys II the son of Aegon V). As the show overtook the novels, it diverged more from the book canon.

I hope that we could also see another show (either animated or live action) about Aegon's Conquest in the future. Game of Thrones did have a segment called Histories & Lore, but this was basically just a collection of short episodes in which the characters of GOT narrated several historical events in the Known World, such as the Dance of the Dragons or the Rhoynar Migration. I really hope that these mini episodes could be expanded into a series of full-length episodes with actors and actresses acting out/voicing (instead of just narrating) some of the well-known historical figures (King Aegon I, Princess Nymeria, King Bran the Builder, etc.).

Ugh, I made a video about this, but then the Portuguese language (Brazilian) news sites reported it as fact so I had to stress I was making an educated guess about the premiere date:

It's not just me, this is a raging debate on the HotD subreddit, but no one really knows. The major points are this:

• HotD "wrapped" filming in Spain and Portugal this week...but Matt Smith said he's filming through "January". 
  • Game of Thrones usually wrapped filming in mid-November and was able to finish post-production in time for an April (ish) premiere. Thus post-production CGI work would take about four to five months, minimum four months.
  • If HotD is indeed "filming" at Leavesden Studios through January, that means they won't finish CGI until mid-May. (month 1 plus four equals month 5, May). Or view this as finishing "two months later" (January instead of November) thus it needs to premiere two months later (month 4 plus two equals month 6, June). 
  • The issue is that they'll want to meet the Emmy award eligibility deadline: at least half of their 10 episode season needs to air before May 31st, thus the last possible Sunday they can premiere the first episode but meet that eligibility cutoff is May 1st. ---- Which is increasingly unlikely, if they wrap in mid-January and only start post-production after that, which will last at least four months.
  • It's possible that they started CGI post-production work CONCURRENTLY with filming on Season 1, different from how Game of Thrones would wait until AFTER live-action filming finished. We simply don't know. 
  • If they can't meet the May 1st deadline, they'll be in no rush to get it out sooner instead of later - why rush to air the show opposite sports championships or other major TV premieres? That's why they don't run shows in January to early February, to to NFL playoffs and the superbowl.
  • If - big "if" - they can't make the May 1st premiere date cutoff, they won't bother to premiere in June, opposite the NBA basketball finals, which in 2022 will rune from June 2 through June 19. 
  • They probably don't want to premiere the show in Fall, opposite Amazon's mega-blockbuster Lord of the Rings Second Age prequel series, which premieres on September 2nd.
  • The way the calendar happens to line up, there is EXACTLY one weekend they can premiere the first episode to avoid basketball finals, but avoid overlap with LOTR:  June 26. Week after basketball finals end. Which means episode 10 would air the weekend BEFORE Amazon's LOTR prequel premieres, weekend of September 2nd.

Thus we're left with two big questions:

• Do Matt Smith's comments about "filming through January" actually reflect the "wrap of full filming" or does that just include minor pickup scenes? Because they wrapped EXTERIOR filming in Spain & Portugal.
  • WHEN will they start post-production CGI work? Game of Thrones only started that when filming completely wrapped. Did they already start weeks ago, concurrent with Spain filming? Or at least, will they start it right now in November? Only overlapping with a few interior scenes filmed at Leavesden in December-January that don't really have dragon CGI in them?

Thus my conclusion is that "IF they miss the May 1st cutoff date, they won't bother to premiere until June 26th".  And if they wait until January to start CGI work, they'll miss the May 1st Emmy cutoff date. But all depends on when CGI work actually started.

Hey, here's a little clip I threw together of Ryan Condal talking with GRRM himself about how he was hired, in Condal's podcast back in the last week of September. It's one 16 minute chunk at the end where they talk about House of the Dragon (I didn't need to splice different sections together it was all in one chunk). I did add some info slides to it (about the Sixth Gun pilot, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Clarification: I'm talking about "Child Ned Stark", Sebastian Croft. A different actor was "Young Ned Stark" for Robert's Rebellion (Early 20s Ned Stark).

If I remember correctly, ToJ Ned’s actor is one of the leads in the Lord of the Rings show.

Some people are wondering if this "Targaryen Thursdays" thing is leading up to the full trailer dropping, but I don't think we'll be getting the full trailer for a while, since it looks like HOTD won't premiere until well into 2022. My dream would be for it to lead to announcement for FaB pt. 2, but I know better than to hope for it.

This family tree must be at least a few years old, since Rogar is still Robar, but if the illustrations were based on George's notes, then there are a few notable things: Shaera had dark hair, Rhae was chubby, and Daella had hair like Daeron's, cut short. Since Daella is probably the sister who had an affair with Dunk, I hope she isn't written as a #notlikeothergirsl Cool Girl type. Thankfully, George is usually pretty good at avoiding tropes like that (although Lyanna might be an exception).

Archived