House of the Dragon Filming in Spain in October

Westeros

As I've said, yes, I think they should spend Season 2 on the decade of the 120s, expanding on the characters, with the broad outline that "Otto is stacking the Small Council"....but use Season 2 to round out the Stark and Lannister characters, a general audience will want that. Stuff with Cregan Stark, Johanna Lannister in Casterly Rock, Tyland Lannister on the Small Council. Then season 3 as the Dance.

8 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

As I've said, yes, I think they should spend Season 2 on the decade of the 120s, expanding on the characters, with the broad outline that "Otto is stacking the Small Council"....but use Season 2 to round out the Stark and Lannister characters, a general audience will want that. Stuff with Cregan Stark, Johanna Lannister in Casterly Rock, Tyland Lannister on the Small Council. Then season 3 as the Dance.

I think that time could also used to really develop the characters and issues of the younger generation. At this point it doesn't seem likely that Aegon II and Aemond and Helaena are getting much screentime in season 1, and neither are Rhaenyra's son, most likely.

How the feelings of the mothers are passed on to their children is something we really have to see, and there is a lot of potential for depth there if, say, Jace and Daeron were originally friends but were slowly poisoned against each other by their respective families, or if Jace and Helaena were actually in love with each other but their families are determined to prevent a marriage, etc.

Also, as I said, they cannot make it crystal clear from the starts that Alicent and Rhaenyra are the ones trying to kill each other eventually. They have to keep up the suspense and make things unpredictable. Will the Velaryons and Daemon stage a coup? What about the Strongs? Is Rhaenyra eventually going to marry her half-brother Aegon? The Dance setting we know is only clear in the 120s when it is clear that both the Velaryons and Daemon are firmly in Rhaenyra's camp and are no longer a faction of their own.

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Alrighty.

(pause)

What about describing it?

Given that HBO would rather footage did not exist on the internet, I suspect the content they're protecting is what was actually being filmed in any detail. So a very general "A scene featuring these characters at this location that looked like this kind of event" is okay, a detailed breakdown of the scene's action is probably not what HBO wants. Despite our past criticisms of Game of Thrones, we have been and remain dedicated to being scrupulous about respecting their right to protect their production's secrecy. When they want us to see the scene, we'll see it their way, not through a spy's lens.

It's why we don't report on 99% of stuff being leaked during production.

Good to have this guideline spelled out, yes. We want the new producers to like us.

(pause, thinking) Let me try to do this in broad strokes:

In a spy video, Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen appears to be at a Velaryon war camp in the Stepstones. They built an extensive army camp set. While around a map table holding a war council, Targaryen infantry arrive and hand him a letter. After he finishes reading, Daemon goes into a fury and beats the messenger into the ground, until the other war council members rush to pull him off. 

Relevance & Analysis:

Checking Fire & Blood, it says that after King Viserys remarried to Alicent Hightower in 106 AC, not a year after his first wife died, "IN THE VALE, Prince Daemon reportedly whipped the serving man who brought the news to him within an inch of his life. Nor was the Sea Snake pleased."

Yet here, we see him beating a messenger in the Stepstones. Indeed, the news that Viserys remarried - pushing Daemon down line of succession should she produce a male heir, and snubbing Laena Velaryon - is what pushed Daemon and Corlys to START the War for the Stepstones, in the first place. 

I think one of two things is happening:

• 1 - They moved this around a bit so that Daemon gets the news AFTER he's already in the Stepstones.
  • 2 - They changed the details, so instead of beating a messenger for news of Viserys's remarriage, it's a year later in 107 AC...when Alicent gave birth to Viserys's first male heir, Aegon II....and Daemon & Corlys were already in the Stepstones. Thus Daemon is furious that he's just been pushed back in line of succession behind his brother's son.
    • It's possible....that they're going to make a running gag of Daemon beating messengers who bring him bad news. So that he will "whip" a messenger in the Vale who brings him news of the remarriage, AS WELL AS later beating (with a helmet) the messenger who brings him news of Aegon II's birth.

We're seeing a lot of scenes from in or around 106-107 AC. Earlier this week there were spy photos of the "Crabfeeder" scene thanks to Craghas Drahar, which should be early in the Stepstones conflict. Yet Matt Smith is apparently playing Daemon as far back as 106 AC....even though there were also prominent spy photos in Daily Mail UK of Young Laenor and Young Rhaenyra, apparently around 112-113 AC or so. There ARE rumors that a young Daemon has been cast, Fionn O'Shea...perhaps for the Great Council at Harrenhal?

Los Siete Reinos reports that House of the Dragon will actually start filming in Spain during the FIRST week of October, before the Caceres shoot... at La Calahorra castle in Granada:

https://lossietereinos.com/house-of-the-dragon-se-rodara-en-el-castillo-de-la-calahorra-granada-a-partir-del-1-de-octubre/

Dare we hope this is Sunspear?

That Dorne will be involved in the War for the Stepstones?  Or perhaps is it Tyrosh, etc.?  Or is it a stand-in for parts of Oldtown/King's Landing? I lean towards Sunspear or Free Cities.

They’re using a new location for King’s Landing, right? That’ll be exciting to see. 

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have a good map outlining the Red Keep? I have a hard time envisioning the layout (Maegor’s Holdfast, the Maidenvault, etc.) so I’m trying to see if anyone has mapped it out online. 

They did relocate from Northern Ireland to England....but they always had a separate "warm weather location" country in the Mediterranean. Malta in Season 1, then shifted to Croatia in Season 2.  By Season 5 Croatia was getting crowded so they started shifting to Spain, and were nearly all Spain not Croatia in Seasons 7 and 8. 

I explain this in a detailed half-hour video I made back in July, which includes extensive maps with the returning Spain locations marked: 

Also this local news article from Caceres (in Spanish) talking about the RETURN to the city, and a lot of people who were extras in crowd scenes from Season 7 are looking forward to being extras again:

https://www.canalextremadura.es/index.php/noticias/caceres/caceres-se-frota-las-manos-con-la-vuelta-de-juego-de-trono

But I've never been to Spain. Elio & Linda have done book tours there they'd know more about local fandom.

3 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

We think we may have spotted House Staunton heraldry at the beach battle scene in the Stepstones they just filmed in Cornwall. Or some sort of altered, live-action variant of it:

What is the sigil of House Staunton? I don't remember it being said anywhere. 

7 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

New spy photo from Derbyshire on September 4th, up in the Peak District; are these....Dornish characters? For fighting in the Stepstones? In which case, why would they be filming in the mountains of northern England?

Could be Dornish or maybe its Rhea Royce? The bronze coloring on the armor is giving me pause. 

17 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

What is the sigil of House Staunton? I don't remember it being said anywhere. 

According to semi-canon information, and thus subject to some change I guess, it's two black wings on a white fess (crossbar)....on a background of checkered black and grey. They may have made it checkered black and white to make it easier to see. 

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Staunton

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

According to semi-canon information, and thus subject to some change I guess, it's two black wings on a white fess (crossbar)....on a background of checkered black and grey. They may have made it checkered black and white to make it easier to see. 

Thanks. 

On 9/28/2021 at 5:14 PM, Sotan said:

Could be Dornish or maybe its Rhea Royce? The bronze coloring on the armor is giving me pause. 

They don't look Dornish.....Rhea Royce isn't stated to be wearing armor, and that doesn't seem like it would affect canon, does it? And for the love of the gods, they really need to learn how to make proper almain rivet, or at least a competent reproduction. Plus, highborn fighters don't wear mass produced, munitions grade armor. That's for the common pikeman, or maybe the men at arms fighting on foot. 

Archived