What if Walder Frey had died just before or just after red wedding?

Mrstrategy

Realistically what would had happened if Walder Frey had died just before or just after red wedding since there a lot of Freys who are interested in becoming the new lord of the twins due to the Walder Frey having a lot of kids and then his kids having kids and marrying into different noble families around westeros who would push for their Frey relatives to be the new lord Frey

Perhaps old Walder will die in one of the later books, and we'll get to see how it plays out.

The heir is chosen by Westerosi law: the firstborn son, or whoever is next in line. Wasn't there some dialogue about that in one of the earlier books, where Little Walder and Big Walder were discussing the succession, and Maester Luwin told them to the more respectful?

Of course, in a wealthy family, with a lot of "sons and grandsons, bastards and grandbastards," there are likely to be disputes, possibly leading to treachery and violence. I seem to recall a hint that Black Walder is planning to kill the men who stand between him and the lordship. From what we've read, it seems like the other Freys are not especially ambitious, or honorable, or smart.

If Lord Frey had died before the Red Wedding, it's possible that the new Lord would choose to withdraw from the conspiracy, and perhaps even throw in with the Starks.

Yes, I usually don't participate in "what if" threads that involve rewriting events that already happened in the story. But I found this one more interesting, because it has implications for the future. Lord Frey is very old, and we've read a lot about the family's internal dramas, and speculation about who will be the next Lord Frey.

But Yes, we need another book!

Archived