Age Nepotism I

TheLastWolf

On 7/3/2021 at 1:57 PM, DMC said:

I've never really thought about the latchkey thing before but I guess I kinda had it.  My mom didn't go back to work til I was around 12-13, but she often was busy.  And I definitely needed to go next door to get the spare key after school at a pretty young.  I guess the key thing is in terms of idyllic suburban child rearing, especially during summer but really most of the time, the parents expected the kids to take care of or at least entertain themselves.  You'd be off playing outside with the neighborhood kids making up games or doing some Stand By Me shit.  I think, but don't know, that kinda got killed with the emergence of the internet, etc.  So I suppose in that way more "geriatric" millennials have more in common with Gen Xers.

ETA:  I will say I never had the thing where my parents were gone before I woke up.  But maybe that's cuz school started early where I was?  Usually had to be up by 6-630, and most non-farmers aren't gone by then.

There is a whole concept of Xennials to describe the folks between 1977 and 1983 or so (a little micro generation).  It actually fits pretty well. I will say my (old boomer/young silent generation) parents sort of hovered (wait for the pun) between helicopter parenting and benign neglect.  

15 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I will say my (old boomer/young silent generation) parents sort of hovered (wait for the pun) between helicopter parenting and benign neglect.  

Minus that, I think I'll probably say the same 2 decades from now. If I'm alive. 

They've best intentions at heart, but that's what the road to hell is paved with 

Spoiler

Who am I paraphrasing-quoting by the way? 

Regards 

2 hours ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

Minus that, I think I'll probably say the same 2 decades from now. If I'm alive. 

They've best intentions at heart, but that's what the road to hell is paved with 

Hide contents

Who am I paraphrasing-quoting by the way? 

Regards 

Mark Twain

Archived