2. Hoster

3. Wyman

4. Walder

5. Viserys II

6. Roose

7. Aerys II

8. Robert

9. Twyin

Good list, except that Hoster was a pretty shit father to Lysa, so I’d put him either at Walder Frey’s level or even below him.

Ned and maybe Wyman are the only not-shit ones in the list, but tbh there isn't many fathers we are sure are good, more like, unsure if they are shit, like Jeor Mormont, we know little about his relationship with Jorah, so he's better than most people in the original list, Oberyn is beloved by his many daughters, yet he might have used them as tools, but again, better than Tywin,  Roose, Robert and the such. Pentrose was apparently a good dad to Edric, Brianne seems to think fondly of her dad, we know little of Tyrel's relationship to his children, so again, probably better than most, and of course Davos, like @Springwatch said.

49 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Good list, except that Hoster was a pretty shit father to Lysa, so I’d put him either at Walder Frey’s level or even below him.

I characterise Ned and Wyman as good fathers. The other are average. And Twyin, Robert and Aerys are bad for me

On 6/30/2021 at 10:08 AM, CamiloRP said:

Ned and maybe Wyman are the only not-shit ones in the list, but tbh there isn't many fathers we are sure are good, more like, unsure if they are shit, like Jeor Mormont, we know little about his relationship with Jorah, so he's better than most people in the original list, Oberyn is beloved by his many daughters, yet he might have used them as tools, but again, better than Tywin,  Roose, Robert and the such. Pentrose was apparently a good dad to Edric, Brianne seems to think fondly of her dad, we know little of Tyrel's relationship to his children, so again, probably better than most, and of course Davos, like @Springwatch said.

I think Robert is a fair sight better than Tywin or Roose... how are they even comparable >.>

15 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I think Robert is a fair sight better than Tywin or Roose... how are they even comparable >.>

It doesn't take much to be better than Tywin and Roose, or even worse, Balon and Randyll, but still Robert was by no measure a good father, he beat his kids and was completely neglectful.

2 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

It doesn't take much to be better than Tywin and Roose, or even worse, Balon and Randyll, but still Robert was by no measure a good father, he beat his kids and was completely neglectful.

I mean no duh but Tywin and Roose are quite literally murderous lol; Tywin had his son's wife raped under orders and made him watch. Nothing Robert did could be compared with that.

Not to mention Robert hit Joffrey because he was butchering kittens like an insane person; we never hear about any abuse towards Tommen or Myrcella.

6 minutes ago, Nami said:

Ned by far was the best father. The worst I believe it's Tywin.

I think Tywin is tied with Aerys. At least Tywin wasn't going to disinherit the rightful he-

oh wait.

3 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I mean no duh but Tywin and Roose are quite literally murderous lol; Tywin had his son's wife raped under orders and made him watch. Nothing Robert did could be compared with that.

Not to mention Robert hit Joffrey because he was butchering kittens like an insane person; we never hear about any abuse towards Tommen or Myrcella.

I'm not saying he's as bas a them, he definitely isn't, but he's far from being a good dad.

2 hours ago, Nami said:

Ned by far was the best father. The worst I believe it's Tywin.

For me the worst one is Randyll, tho Tywin is a close second.

Mace Tyrell seems to be a better than average father. His children all seem to be loved, well adjusted and prepared for the world they live in. Yes, he undoubtedly had some help from Oleanna in raising them but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get any credit. 

Also he seems to be accepting of Loras's sexuality which is a big thing in medieval society. 

Ned, what a dumb question 

On 6/30/2021 at 5:00 PM, Prince Rhaego Targaryen said:

I meant to post this on father’s day but never got the time. Pick the best father. Rank them if you wish.

1. Tywin
  2. Walder
  3. Roose
  4. Hoster
  5. Ned
  6. Wyman
  7. Aerys II
  8. Robert
  9. Viserys II

Meh 

9 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I think Tywin is tied with Aerys. At least Tywin wasn't going to disinherit the rightful he-

oh wait.

Disinheriting a rightful but poorly suited heir is not mecessarily a bad thing. Randyll had a duty to his people to give them a capable lord. 

1 hour ago, Prince Rhaego Targaryen said:

Disinheriting a rightful but poorly suited heir is not mecessarily a bad thing. Randyll had a duty to his people to give them a capable lord. 

Yes, but forcing your son to join the Night's Watch, by threatening to gut him like a pig makes him a crap father. He could have easily made Sam a maester or join the faith. I honestly think Randyll wanted Sam to join The Watch, because it would get his son far away and would be the most likely way of getting him killed, without using his own hands.

14 minutes ago, sifth said:

Oberyn seems like a pretty good dad. All of his daughters seem to really love him and he certainly made sure to take care of them all.

Agree, Oberyn definitely seems better than most dads. His children are loved, well taken care of and prepared for the world they live in. 

My only criticism of him is how he seems to have taken Obara away from her mother in such a brutal and complete fashion that it left her mother in tears. There is also no sign that Tyene, Nymeria or Sarella have had any contact with their mothers. 

He doesn't seemed to have cracked that being a good single parent doesn't mean that you forcibly cut the other parent out of your child's life. 

16 minutes ago, Lady_Qohor said:

Agree, Oberyn definitely seems better than most dads. His children are loved, well taken care of and prepared for the world they live in. 

My only criticism of him is how he seems to have taken Obara away from her mother in such a brutal and complete fashion that it left her mother in tears. There is also no sign that Tyene, Nymeria or Sarella have had any contact with their mothers. 

He doesn't seemed to have cracked that being a good single parent doesn't mean that you forcibly cut the other parent out of your child's life. 

They were allowed to visit their mothers. I think Arrianne mentions that they were visiting one of the Sand Snakes mothers, in a flash back, during her first chapter in AFFC.

Archived