Best Father

Darth Sidious

On 6/30/2021 at 7:30 AM, Prince Rhaego Targaryen said:

I meant to post this on father’s day but never got the time. Pick the best father. Rank them if you wish.

1. Tywin
  2. Walder
  3. Roose
  4. Hoster
  5. Ned
  6. Wyman
  7. Aerys II
  8. Robert
  9. Viserys II

The definition of a good father is a man who is a reliable provider and protector.  A good father is by necessity a good disciplinarian.  A head of household defends the family's honor.  A good father is not a soft man.  He should definitely not allow another clan to walk all over his and get away with it.  Walder Frey is such a man.  

9 hours ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

For those who ranked Roose as poor, I assume that because you believe he should have recognized Ramsey prior to Domeric's death?  I think that partially applies modern 'norms' to the Westeros universe that don't apply, as it wasn't necessarily common to recognize bastards, especially to common mothers.   By all accounts, Roose seemed to be a good father to Domeric.  

I, for one, explained why I think Roose is a bad father - I even mentioned that he may have been a decent father to Domeric, but we can only go by what we see, and, yes, we only see him as a father to Ramsay. Not acknowledging his bastard was one of my points but not the only one. I agree that we shouldn't apply modern norms to these fathers, but in the case of this ranking, we can actually compare Roose to in-world fathers who did acknowledge their bastards.  

Likewise, Aerys went mad.  He is difficult to judge, as we really don't know much about him/how he raised Rhaegar or Viserys.  Viserys was also mad, making it difficult to judge what impact Aerys had; but, by most accounts Rhaegar was OK (depending on your thoughts on if he raped Lyanna or not).

A madman cannot be faulted for being a bad father, but it still does not make him a good one.

I'd put Hoster much lower than others have him.  Edmure strikes me as somewhat spoiled, and yet, acts as if Hoster never really gave him love/respect, and what he did to Lysa is a major negative/showed lack of empathy.  

I also wonder that we don't know what the relationship between Hoster and Edmure was. Cat probably loves Edmure as her little brother but she still often treats him as ... well, as a little brother. :P It is possible that Hoster also treated Edmure with little respect (and truth be told Edmure still seems to be in the phase of growing up, mentally, when we first see him).

Regarding Lysa, well, yes, but here I would caution against applying modern-day norms to Hoster. It was horrible what he did to Lysa, but he may not have realized it at first, and he may have done it with the best of intentions (as a "lesser evil" kind of thing), and he probably regretted it later. 

9 minutes ago, Bowen Marsh said:

The definition of a good father is a man who is a reliable provider and protector.  A good father is by necessity a good disciplinarian.  A head of household defends the family's honor.  A good father is not a soft man.  He should definitely not allow another clan to walk all over his and get away with it.  Walder Frey is such a man.  

Mods....MODS!!!

Are you watching this...reading? 

Pro Patriarchy. Toxic masculinity. Chauvinism. Misogynistic undertones.

And no excuses like 'likening to medieval context'... oh no no nooo. This is how you think in this century too 

Red handed. 

16 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Lord Walder

Lord Walder what? Is a slimy peice of traitorous shit? If so, then yes, yes he is.

Best dads in my opinion would be in this ranking;

1: Lord Tarth, Brienne's dad who let his daughter be who she is instead of trying to force her to become someone she isn't.

2: Oberyn Martell, who taught his daughters to stick up for themselves and take shit from absolutely nobody.

3:Ned Stark, who raised his kids with kindness and imparted his values on them as best he could.

4: Mace Tyrell: Did his best to advance his children's interests, and so far none of them are dead. Yet.

5. Rheagar Targaryen: Was not especially present in his children's short lives as far as we know, but didn't mistreat them either. A nonentity as far as fatherhood.

6. Hoster Tully: A great dad for Catelyn, treated Edmure with benign neglect, and was aweful in treatment of Lysa. 2 out of three are marks against him. Bad dad.

7. Robert Baratheon: Physically abused Joffrey on one occaision, otherwise ignored his supposedly "legitimate" children, and largely left his bastard children to fend for themselves. Bad dad.

8. Walder Frey: Allows all his children to live in his house. But then insults them, uses them as pawns, treats their lives with callous indifference, and consigns most of them to aweful fates because of the Red Wedding. Like I said, peice of shit.

9. Tywin Lannister: Emotionally abusive towards Tyrion, including the horrific incident with Tysha. Failed to even notice two of his kids were having sex with each other. Bad, bad dad.

10. Randyl Fuckface Tarly: He chained his son to a wall just to teach a lesson. Among other truly sadistic things. Then treatened to murder said son. The guy can die in a fire. And will.

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

Lord Walder what? Is a slimy peice of traitorous shit? If so, then yes, yes he is.

Best dads in my opinion would be in this ranking;

1: Lord Tarth, Brienne's dad who let his daughter be who she is instead of trying to force her to become someone she isn't.

I think Brienne was very awkward around her suitors and, besides, she was trashed by the likes of Ronnet Connington. So, in the end, Selwyn Tarth more like gave in trying to bethroth (gah, however you spell it) and assigned to her that master-at-arms so maybe at least she won't be mocked around. But it's not like Selwyn didn't try to marry his daughter to some decent match.

A different case is Oberyn Martell, since he actually encouraged his daughters from the start to carve their way into the world as they desired, and valued strenght over some random match for the Sand Snakes.

Kind of hard to find decent fatherly figures for westerosi women. I'd say, well, he's not her real father but acts as one, Rodrik Harlaw to Asha Greyjoy.

14 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Horrible father. Never acknowledges his daughter and lets her bum around the free cities for years and then get SOLD to a Dothraki. Yeah go pray for yourself there, Baelor Butthole. A lot of this is your fault.

He has a son, not a daughter.  And he could not acknowledge his son for obvious reasons.  As for Dany, he does not know she is his granddaughter because he does not know she is his son's daughter.

Archived