The Tokyo Olympic Games

I'll start this thread for posters interested in commenting on any of the trials, games, events.

The big story in the U.S. currently is that we"'ve lost our fastest Woman's sprinter to a positive test for THC.

Sha'Carri Richardson suspended from US Olympic team after testing positive for marijuana

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/sport/shacarri-richardson-positive-test-olympics-spt-intl/index.html

Story is tragic and now the World is deprived of a ShaCarri Richardson vs Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce 100 meter showdown that held the possibility for the fastest times since FloJo herself was still racing.

ShaCarri apparently failed her drug test after self medicating (weed) over the loss of her biological mother. There's an outside chance her suspension of 1 month allows her to still be eligible for a relay event in the Tokyo games, however US track and Field has yet to announce whether she will be allowed to race.

Richardson won her 100 meter qualifying with the fastest U.S. time in years however her race and time were disqualified over the positive marajuana test results.

Such a waste to not have her gifted speed be representing our country.

I have zero sympathy for Richardson (missing the games, not losing her mother), how stupid can you be? 

The men's 400m hurdles is the race I'm most looking forward to. Warholm v Benjamin could be amazing. Both have run insane times this year. 

Just now, DMC said:

I think it's pretty ridiculous that cannabinoids are still included on any banned substances list for athletic competition.

Absolutely, but even more ridiculous that she knows they are and took them regardless. 

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Absolutely, but even more ridiculous that she knows they are and took them regardless. 

She was grieving. People in that state of mind are at a greater risk of having a lapse of judgement. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

She was grieving. People in that state of mind are at a greater risk of having a lapse of judgement. 

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, there's also the possibility she thought she could get away with it.

From what I've read weed always shows up. And athletes should know that, and that whatever they put in their body is their responsibility.

It sucks that if it happened a month earlier she would be OK for Tokyo as the weed punishment is only a month. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

From what I've read weed always shows up.

Not if it was a urine test.  I know nothing about how the Olympics test, but if it was, it's definitely not a ridiculous belief to think she could cheat it.  I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be "ridiculously stupid" for her to believe she could beat it.  It could even be something as simple as her thinking it would be out of her system by the time she was tested.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not if it was a urine test.  I know nothing about how the Olympics test, but if it was, it's definitely not a ridiculous belief to think she could cheat it.  I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be "ridiculously stupid" for her to believe she could beat it.  It could even be something as simple as her thinking it would be out of her system by the time she was tested.

It was ridiculously stupid to risk it. Her mother died a week earlier I understand. So thinking it would be out of her system was a huge risk. Its such a shame as the womens 100m was shaping up to be awesome. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It was ridiculously stupid to risk it.

I dunno, comes across as pretty judgy to me.  Especially when we're talking about breaking a stupid rule.

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno, comes across as pretty judgy to me.  Especially when we're talking about breaking a stupid rule.

Don't know how it can be considered judgy, she knows about the rule and has wasted the last 4 or 5 years of her life. The rule shouldn't exist, but it does and she fucked up. That's just facts. 

"Ridiculously stupid" sounds more like a judgement than just facts to me. :dunno:

The US team could let her participate and is choosing not to. I judge that as - ridiculously stupid.

Eta-

12 minutes ago, Week said:

"Ridiculously stupid" sounds more like a judgement than just facts to me. :dunno:

The US team could let her participate and is choosing not to. I judge that as - ridiculously stupid.

Eta-

How would you describe her actions? 

She could have just jucied up like all the others that just smashed the US trials. At least there is a) a reason and b) a chance of getting away with it. 

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Don't know how it can be considered judgy

As Week said, dunno how calling someone ridiculously stupid can't be considered judgy.  She broke a stupid rule, apparently out of grief, and, again, thinking you can beat a weed test is not necessarily as stupid as you're portraying.  Depends on the circumstances I suppose, but again I'm not familiar at all with how the testing process works.

26 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Don't know how it can be considered judgy, she knows about the rule and has wasted the last 4 or 5 years of her life. The rule shouldn't exist, but it does and she fucked up. That's just facts. 

That is a terrible take as well. Her life isn't over and she'll continue to run and train. Or maybe she won't. But missing one race doesn't invalidate everything she's done to this point.

4 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

That is a terrible take as well. Her life isn't over and she'll continue to run and train. Or maybe she won't. But missing one race doesn't invalidate everything she's done to this point.

I couldn't disagree with you more, and she also fucked over everyone who has been helping her. Everything she's done for the last 4 years has been leading to the Olympics, and she fucked up.   

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I couldn't disagree with you more, and she also fucked over everyone who has been helping her. Everything she's done for the last 4 years has been leading to the Olympics, and she fucked up.   

Is the air thin up on that high horse?

That was really week. Nearly as weak as most dopers excuses (though I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, there is some research that weed can help with training due to assisting with chronic pain, but it is so likely to show up in a test I can't imagine any athlete would use it instead of other stronger, less traceable substances). 

It's not comparable at all to doping. It's also worth noting that every article seems to use the terminology "her biological mother" which suggest their relationship was complicated in some way. My father recently died and we also had a bad relation. It hurt a lot more than my dog dying last week, whom I loved dearly. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That was really week. Nearly as weak as most dopers excuses (though I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, there is some research that weed can help with training due to assisting with chronic pain, but it is so likely to show up in a test I can't imagine any athlete would use it instead of other stronger, less traceable substances). 

Who fucking cares?  It's not any different than having a beer except that one is on the banned list.  She didn't waste the last 4 years of her life.  I'm sure there were some rewarding or positive things there beyond the Olympics.

Just another reason the Olympics are and have been for awhile, a big fucking clown show.  

Archived