The Tokyo Olympic Games

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And why is that? Do you not have an activist bone in your body, and can you not ride for a cause that's not your own if you do?

Personally I would love to see the US's three most dominate teams, the men's and women's basketball teams and the women's soccer team say they won't play if Richardson, possibly the best sprinter in the field, can't run. Stick it to those corporate dollars.

Because, more importantly, why the fuck are we doing any of this when Japan is in the mist of a giant outbreak during a global pandemic. What are we doing?!?!?

I'm personally not going to spend time trying to get millionaire athletes the rights to get baked. There's about a billion more worthy causes.  I'd be more interested in protesting to allow me to get wrecked without getting sacked. 

Are you high right now by any chance? 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm personally not going to spend time trying to get millionaire athletes the rights to get baked. There's about a billion more worthy causes.  I'd be more interested in protesting to allow me to get wrecked without getting sacked. 

Funny how you've gotten so much wrong in such a short statement. She's a 21 year old emerging track star, not some super rich athlete, though that should even matter when considering she's a grieving human being. And you admitted you used to drink an absurd amount of beers per day/week, which is a lot worse for you then getting "baked." The former, BTW, is a lot worse cooping mechanism, but would you be fine if she went on a week long bender to deal with her issues, since that wouldn't have violated any of the arbitrary rules? 

Nope. Just a shot to start the Denmark match and cracked open a beer I've barely touched. May smoke a bowl in a bit, but it won't actually get me "baked" by any means. For a fairly high level police officer you seem to be somewhat ignorant as to how marihuana affects people.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Funny how you've gotten so much wrong in such a short statement. She's a 21 year old emerging track star, not some super rich athlete, though that should even matter when considering she's a grieving human being. And you admitted you used to drink an absurd amount of beers per day/week, which is a lot worse for you then getting "baked." The former, BTW, is a lot worse cooping mechanism, but would you be fine if she went on a week long bender to deal with her issues, since that wouldn't have violated any of the arbitrary rules? 

Nope. Just a shot to start the Denmark match and cracked open a beer I've barely touched. May smoke a bowl in a bit, but it won't actually get me "baked" by any means. For a fairly high level police officer you seem to be somewhat ignorant as to how marihuana affects people.

She has endorsements coming out her ass (or probably did).

I don't even know what you are on now. You keep moving the goalposts but act like others are, did you fall on your head? 

My drinking has nothing to do with you and nothing to do with this conversation so you can fuck right off with throwing that in my face.  So let me reinforce that mesage a) who the fuck are you to bring that up? and b) It's not relevant to what we are discussing.

Drinking doesn't get you banned from the Olympics. My position is if you do something that gets you banned and you know it will get you banned and you do it and get caught, tough shit. 

I understand perfectly well the effects of weed, but again the effects of weed are not remotely related to this topic. 

Would love to see any rational defense of the "high natural testosterone levels" being grounds for ineligibility (hint, I don't believe there is one).  They say they won't let transwomen compete because they'd have an edge over cis women, but then also that some cis woman have a natural advantage over other cis women so they can't compete either?  Difficult not to read some racism into that one.*

*and transphobia, but that's glaringly obvious

27 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

She has endorsements coming out her ass (or probably did).

So you don't know, right? 

I don't even know what you are on now. You keep moving the goalposts but act like others are, did you fall on your head? 

My drinking has nothing to do with you and nothing to do with this conversation so you can fuck right off with throwing that in my face.  So let me reinforce that mesage a) who the fuck are you to bring that up? and b) It's not relevant to what we are discussing.

Drinking doesn't get you banned from the Olympics. My position is if you do something that gets you banned and you know it will get you banned and you do it and get caught, tough shit. 

Oh no, I can throw it in your face because I've also spoken at length here about my alcoholism and fighting to get past it. You're using the exact same language to describe people who consume marijuana, even without knowing how much they've really used it. And that's why the goalposts haven't been moved. We're talking about a major double standard here, one which in the US has been used to target African Americans. 

I understand perfectly well the effects of weed, but again the effects of weed are not remotely related to this topic. 

I don't think you do, because I just smoked a bowl and am far from baked. And the effects of weed are directly related to this topic because the whole point is how do they impact your performance. If it's a legal product to buy and use and it has no performance enhancing affects*, why is it banned? Shouldn't we question the people who made the shitty rule more than the person who broke it?

*As a varsity American football player, I can tell you more than half the starters either smoked a little weed or had a drink or two before the game to take the edge off.  How it enhanced our performances is up for debate, but that's not what happened here.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh no, I can throw it in your face because I've also spoken at length here about my alcoholism and fighting to get past it. You're using the exact same language to describe people who consume marijuana, even without knowing how much they've really used it. And that's why the goalposts haven't been moved. We're talking about a major double standard here, one which in the US has been used to target African Americans. 

I don't think you do, because I just smoked a bowl and am far from baked. And the effects of weed are directly related to this topic because the whole point is how do they impact your performance. If it's a legal product to buy and use and it has no performance enhancing affects*, why is it banned? Shouldn't we question the people who made the shitty rule more than the person who broke it?

*As a varsity American football player, I can tell you more than half the starters either smoked a little weed or had a drink or two before the game to take the edge off.  How it enhanced our performances is up for debate, but that's not what happened here.

No probably as in 'might have lost them all now for fucking up, as many endorsement contracts would be cancelled if you bring the brand into disrepute'.

I haven't used any negative language about weed use, I've used negative language about people fucking up their careers (in my opinion) not the same thing at all.

only you are having that conversation. Nobody is saying she should be banned because of a benefit she is getting, nobody thinks its a PED, its a stupid rule, but it's it's rule that everyone knows about and is easily followed, just don't get stoned. 

But she knew the rules and broke them and now she can't go to the Olympics. Its just nobody feels the need to give a shit about how hard done to she is. For some reason you think this is a great injustice. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ok, Judge Dredd. :rolleyes: Your ability to express disdain and lack of sympathy for a black woman here is well noted - feel free to seek out one of those other causes that you feel so strongly about.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Still doesn't give you the right to call someone else out on that [on a personal level.]

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

No probably as in 'might have lost them all now for fucking up, as many endorsement contracts would be cancelled if you bring the brand into disrepute'

I think she's going to make bank over this, and if they let her run in the 4x100m and she wins gold, she's a superstar a level should wouldn't have been if this story never occurred. . 

But only you are having that conversation. Nobody is saying she should be banned because of a benefit she is getting, nobody thinks its a PED, its a stupid rule, but it's it's rule that everyone knows about and is easily followed, just don't get stoned. 

*turns on 1940's voice*

See here copper, what do you do when your job is to enforce a law you know is immoral? Shouldn't you try and change a bad law rather than say someone should follow it?

But she knew the rules and broke them and now she can't go to the Olympics. Its just nobody feels the need to give a shit about how hard done to she is. For some reason you think this is a great injustice. 

She can't run in the 100m, and basically every top American athlete is saying should should be allowed to run. I'd love to see those that can afford to boycott the games over it because the Olympics would absolutely cave.

10 minutes ago, Week said:

Ok, Judge Dredd. :rolleyes: Your ability to express disdain and lack of sympathy for a black woman here is well noted - feel free to seek out one of those other causes that you feel so strongly about.

What's her colour got to do with it? 

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Still doesn't give you the right to call someone else out on that [on a personal level.]

In the context of shaming others for their drug use and abuse, yeah, the hypocrisy needs to be pointed out. And note the past tense of my phrasing. I have discussed with BFC in other threads the subject of alcoholism and trying to beat it, and praised him for his accomplishments in largely curtailing it. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

In the context of shaming others for their drug use and abuse, yeah, the hypocrisy needs to be pointed out. And note the past tense of my phrasing. I have discussed with BFC in other threads the subject of alcoholism and trying to beat it, and praised him for his accomplishments in largely curtailing it. 

Fir the last fucking time this isn't about drug use. It could just as eaily be about an illegal shoe. She knew the rules and broke them.

I don't give a shit about weed, I've literally never arrested anyone for weed possession. My wife used to smoke it in our flat. I couldn't give a fuck. My issue is re someone getting sympathy for being an idiot (in my opinion).

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think you specifically are basing your opinion on race, but a lot of black Olympians are getting some bad treatment as of late.

And I think Semanya being treated the way she has (most obviously high profile) is one of the greatest injustices in the history of sports. My question is how does my position on Richardson give Week the right to accuse me of racism? 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

And I think Semanya being treated the way she has (most obviously high profile) is one of the greatest injustices in the history of sports. My question is how does my position on Richardson give Week the right to accuse me of racism? 

You just make sure you let everyone know what an idiot you think she is and how important your opinion here is. You're doing great, hon. So proud of you.

2 minutes ago, Week said:

You just make sure you let everyone know what an idiot she is. You're doing great, hon. So proud of you.

OK, but what has that got to do with her colour? Is there a comparable situation with a white US athlete I'm not aware of? 

Calling someone racist without any evidence is a right cunty move. 

27 minutes ago, Week said:

I give 50 quid a month to a food bank for example, I think we can all agree that's a bit more deserving than getting bothered about an athlete not being allowed to run because she broke a rule?  

28 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fir the last fucking time this isn't about drug use. It could just as eaily be about an illegal shoe. She knew the rules and broke them.

I don't give a shit about weed, I've literally never arrested anyone for weed possession. My wife used to smoke it in our flat. I couldn't give a fuck. My issue is re someone getting sympathy for being an idiot (in my opinion).

But they're being "an idiot" in this context by not considering a rule while consuming something completely legal. It's not about weed, the same rule could have been in place over chocolate. It's a bad rule and that should be the main focus here, not that she violated it. 

27 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Context. Just look at the ruling on swimming caps meant for primarily black women. 

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I give 50 quid a month to a food bank for example, I think we can all agree that's a bit more deserving than getting bothered about an athlete not being allowed to run because she broke a rule?  

You're just too fixated on the rule existing and thus needs to be enforced rather than questioning the logic of the rule altogether, law man. :P 

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

OK, but what has that got to do with her colour? . 

Mostly that weed's historically been used to criminalize being black, and that there are thousands of people incarcerated for just using it. 

FWIW it's pretty clear to me that your argument has absolutely nothing to do with her race, but I am very skeptical that the IOC or whoever the fuck is in charge of this shit is anything other than very racist in practice.

I disagree with you but I'm not questioning your motives.  Bad rules should be broken especially when normal people suffer much more sever consequences for the same behavior.  I agree that a world class athlete getting banned for weed use isn't, on its own some great injustice- but it's absolutely representative of a lot of other people truly suffering.

Archived