The Tokyo Olympic Games

NBC online coverage of some Olympic events is shambolic.

Example: The Men's Cycling Road Race coverage included the rolling start, a feeding station, some back markers picking up their bikes after a crash, and a long shot of the winner coming into the final stretch.  Clearly nothing else of any interest occurred in the six-plus hours of brutal climbs and descents.

Honestly, it continues to be as clueless as during the most recent Rugby World Cup web coverage: Lengthy player introductions, several post-try kicks, some shots of the crowd, random shot of players in a scrum, final whistle, more crowd shots, dumbest possible commentary, etc.

It gives the impression that NBC actively seeks to hire directors with no interest in sports for their sports coverage.  "Do you enjoy competitive sports?"  "No, I like funky angles of static athletes in awkward poses and long stretches of crowds looking dully at nothing!"  "You are hired."

14 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm most eager for the Track and Field events to get going.

Am curious how fast Shelley Ann Fraser Pryce can go and whether she can beat her personal best of 10.63 in the 100m, that would be epic.

With Richardson out she will probably be more relaxed so can run a fast time. In my opinion she is the world record holder already. 

Managed to record the street skateboarding last night and thought it was pretty good. But yeah the coverage from the BBC has been shambolic and it's pretty disgusting that some rando company can purchase the rights to broadcast for our country out from under us.

Using Hulu Live as my TV provider only compounds the NBC awfulness.  You would think that with a streaming service that you could choose to watch any of the previously broadcast content, or watch a current broadcast from the start rather than join it mid way through.  But no, this most basic functionality eludes Hulu still.  Even Comcast was better than this.  I’ll be canceling Hulu again as soon as the Olympics end.

@Iskaral Pust is Comcast your internet provider? If so you can get their version of a Roku box called Flex? I think and it comes with a Peacock subscription (both are currently free) and with that you get access to more Olympics stuff. And Premier League games as well.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/07/23/nbc-sports-premier-league-schedule-fixtures-nbc-sports-watch-live-stream-link-tv-info-peacock-video/

We have Hulu Live as well.

Man, always baffles me to see how bad some much richer countries have at Olympics. Not only here in Brazil I have 4 channels on cable, also accessible by streaming (and another one on cable that I don't subscribe), plus one on regular TV, but also at the streaming service there's essentially everything available, even stuff like badminton and archery, though without commenting or narration.

And that's considering the hours are terrible for anyone living here (AST+1), so there was less interest than normal (of course, the games being in Rio means it was even more than usual- the same cable channels transmitting the games had 16 alone, plus there were other cable and free options as well ).

Granted, it's not without it's problems, but it works pretty well.

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

@Iskaral Pust is Comcast your internet provider? If so you can get their version of a Roku box called Flex? I think and it comes with a Peacock subscription (both are currently free) and with that you get access to more Olympics stuff. And Premier League games as well.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/07/23/nbc-sports-premier-league-schedule-fixtures-nbc-sports-watch-live-stream-link-tv-info-peacock-video/

We have Hulu Live as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Kair.  I have Optimum Altice as my ISP now in CT.  Comcast was my longstanding crappy ISP in Chicago.

Perhaps I should just cancel Hulu Live and get Peacock instead.  But when I researched the Olympics streaming options, it said that Peacock would only carry a limited selection of Olympic events.

I wish I could watch the badminton, table tennis, fencing, discus, etc.  That’s what the Olympics are good for.  But NBC wants to show schmaltzy human interest footage on a handful of ordained athletes to support their transition to cereal boxes.

Good morning for team GB. Peaty inevitably won the men's 100 breaststroke, Daley finally won his gold (good for him, hasn't had the easiest time) and Pidcock about to win cross country MTB (he is insanely talented). 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure if there's enough juice for a Tennis sub-thread, but Osaka getting stunned while playing like shit was pretty shocking.

Probably not that shocking all things considered I’d say. I’d think there’s a decent chance she probably wasn’t actually ready to play but felt an obligation to with it being a home Olympics.

She probably shouldn't have been asked to light the flame in her current state of mind either.

Japan doing really well though so it might deflect a lot of a lot of attention away from her and that can only be a positive. 

9 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Both men’s cycling gold medals so far have been won by Ineos riders. I think that means Ganna is even more likely to win the TT

I wouldn't count out Dennis, though that wouldn't affect ineos current run of form. 

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

She probably shouldn't have been asked to light the flame in her current state of mind either.

"Her current state of mind" ?  Are you trying to sound as patronizing as possible or does it just come natural?

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

"Her current state of mind" ?  Are you trying to sound as patronizing as possible or does it just come natural?

No more natural than you being a sanctimonious prig.

Wtf you on about? She has self identified as having mh issues and finding intrusion into her life a problem. Putting extra stress of having the eyes of the whole world on top may not have been a good idea. 

Archived