The Tokyo Olympic Games

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

No more natural than you being a sanctimonious prig.

Heh, thanks, I'll take that as a compliment.  And I'm "going on about" you demeaning certain athletes for no real apparent reason than to just be mean - like you did at the beginning of this thread.  It annoys me and I find it kinda gross, so I said so.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh, thanks, I'll take that as a compliment.  And I'm "going on about" you demeaning certain athletes for no real apparent reason than to just be mean - like you did at the beginning of this thread.  It annoys me and I find it kinda gross, so I said so.

When I manage staff and they return from a period of sickness I don't give them a massive important project. Medical proffesionals tell me not to.

Especially one like lighting the Olympic flame, with the eyes of the world on you, during covid, when over half your countryman didn't think the games should be going ahead. How is that mean? 

Especially one like lighting the Olympic flame, with the eyes of the world on you, during covid, when over half your countryman didn't think the games should be going ahead. How is that mean? 

What was Muhammed Ali's "current state of mind" when he lit the torch?  Did anyone care?  Should anyone care?  It just seems like unnecessarily piling on to me, as it did at the beginning of this thread.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

What was Muhammed Ali's "current state of mind" when he lit the torch?  Did anyone care?  Should anyone care?  It just seems like unnecessarily piling on to me, as it did at the beginning of this thread.

Should anyone care? Yes, we shouldn't be using vulnerable people for publicity. 

Why you still talking about the start of the thread? Do you not move on with your life?  

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

Should anyone care? Yes. 

Ah, so, I remember all those op-eds back in 96 talking about Ali's "current state of mind" since he decided to light the torch.  It's totally the same.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Why you still talking about the start of the thread? Do you not move on with your life?

Nope it take momentous effort to remember a whole three weeks ago and reference it.  I'm irreparably stuck at that point in my life.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Ah, so, I remember all those op-eds back in 96 talking about Ali's "current state of mind" since he decided to light the torch.  It's totally the same.

Nope it take momentous effort to remember a whole three weeks ago and reference it.  I'm irreparably stuck at that point in my life.

I don't even know what you are talking about with your first point? If nobody was discussing it does that mean it shouldn't have been discussed? 

I didn't ask could you remember the start of the thread, I asked why are you still banging on about it? 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I didn't ask could you remember the start of the thread, I asked why are you still banging on about it? 

....because your condescending attitude with Osaka reminded me of your condescending attitude at the beginning of this thread.

If nobody was discussing it does that mean it shouldn't have been discussed? 

Well, it means I didn't think it was worth discussing Ali's mental state in 96, yeah.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:07 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I'd be more interested in protesting to allow me to get wrecked without getting sacked. 

Come round mine. Smoke some home grown. I won't grass you up. 

Also, my stuff is miles better than anything I've ever got on the black market. Just dried and cured a pure sativa that is, quite possibly, the finest weed I have ever smoked. :hat:

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Come round mine. Smoke some home grown. I won't grass you up. 

Also, my stuff is miles better than anything I've ever got on the black market. Just dried and cured a pure sativa that is, quite possibly, the finest weed I have ever smoked. :hat:

I'm more interested in the freedom to choose than the act itself. My wife would kill for a smoke though. 

Biles has pulled out citing MH rather than injury. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm more interested in the freedom to choose than the act itself. My wife would kill for a smoke though. 

Would happily pop an eighth in the post, if it wasn't wildly inappropriate and a risk to your career. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Biles has pulled out citing MH rather than injury. 

Which is absolutely for the best if she's not mentally in it for any reason. She'd otherwise risk injury or even death, given the speed and complexity of her routines.

On a side note, today's athletes are under levels of 24/7 immediate access scrutiny their predecessors never faced. I can't even imagine the weight of it.

Biles is quite right to pull out if she feels she has to, mental health is no joke and she owes nothing to anyone outside the team and should protect herself, but given at least some of the pressure on her came from herself and her enthusiastic participation in portraying her as the GOAT, if any of her team-mates feel let down they have a right to.

And if she competes in the individuals they have a right to be furious, though honestly it seems a little unlikely that she would. 

Biles pulling out is yet another incident of an athelete claiming mental health for pulling out of competing. It’s something I’d never heard of before but now seems to be happening more and more. 

It’s very hard to understand how someone who has devoted their entire lives to doing one thing can just pull out at the last minute. Surely developing that mental strength is part of the reason for success in the first place 

16 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Biles pulling out is yet another incident of an athelete claiming mental health for pulling out of competing. It’s something I’d never heard of before but now seems to be happening more and more. 

It’s very hard to understand how someone who has devoted their entire lives to doing one thing can just pull out at the last minute. Surely developing that mental strength is part of the reason for success in the first place 

It's not that hard if you've been reading the American media on the subject. She won 4 gold medals at the previous Olympics, 19 golds at various World Championships and many other medals so clearly she can handle the usual stress of competition. However, this time around, the narrative of the US media is that she is the greatest of all time or something along those lines. If she saw any of that (and it's pretty hard to miss), I suspect the pressure is a bit higher this time around. Some people thrive in such pressure, some people simply ignore it and some can't take it after some point.

54 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

And if she competes in the individuals they have a right to be furious, though honestly it seems a little unlikely that she would. 

Have to disagree here. She’s been off and it’s possible she doesn’t want to risk screwing up and hurting the team. The individuals only affect her.

Do you think, just like us commoners, that the past 18 months has taken some mental toll on these athletes? I mean, I'm not an elite athlete but I cry for no specific reason more than I did pre-pandemic. I rage more and my concentration and ability to abide stress is absolute shit. 

These young men and women are not robots. The delay of the Olympics, the lack of routine in training and competition cycles, and you know, the ongoing pandemic that's particularly bad in the part of the world where they currently are all adds up. I don't care who you are, it's going to get to you at some point. 

It's also not like Biles ever needs to compete again. She is the greatest and her body of work speaks for itself. Even the greatest needs a mental health day. That she, a sexual abuse survivor, chose to remain on with Team USA and US Gymnastics to be the face of change rather than retire into the sunset is huge. I think some of you have forgotten that aspect of her story when discussing mental fortitude and pressure.

Given how many pro athletes (and amateur no doubt) have substance abuse problems, drinking problems, gambling problems, and general impulse control, do you think that's really any better in dealing with anxiety or depression or the pressure of always having to be on? Knowing when to be done is the healthiest thing of all.

Archived