The Tokyo Olympic Games

Seems like there may have been more comedy officiating at the games, this time in the new mixed 4x100 relay heats- US DQ'd for lining up at the wrong exchange line on the 2nd leg, but they say she was told to stand there. It's a bit weird that she didn't notice she was several yards away from everyone else, but suggestions that in another heat the same happened but those athletes did notice and ran back, so she may have a case and be re-instated. 

Either way, madness. 

It was incredibly obvious watching live - she was stood half way around the corner, despite being lane 3, she was a good 15m ahead of the athletes in lanes 6,7,8, whilst knowing that she should be slightly behind them. The head-on camera angle had 6 of the 2nd leg athletes all in shot; lane 3 obviously empty.

Unpopular opinion - I don't have any sympathy for a professional athlete who knows so little about their sport that they don't know where to stand; despite everyone else standing in the right place.
Yes, I've seen that a similar problem happened in a different round; but the grown-arse adults knew how to adult, and retreated to their mark.
All the pundits seem to disagree with me though.

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

Unpopular opinion - I don't have any sympathy for a professional athlete who knows so little about their sport that they don't know where to stand; despite everyone else standing in the right place.

It's always been incredibly obvious that the US don't really practice for relays, which is why they get DQ'd so often - that seems to be the case here too, since as you say she really should have known where she should be. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It's always been incredibly obvious that the US don't really practice for relays, which is why they get DQ'd so often - that seems to be the case here too, since as you say she really should have known where she should be. 

This link should work for the head-on camera angle: https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/olympic-games-update.46443/page-11#post-1051253
The lady in Lane 3, really shold be stood somewhere between the lady in Lane 2 and the lady in Lane 4. As is, she's out of shot around the corner.

Biles withdrawing from an event at a time isn't really fair on her teammates prep. I'm fully supportive of her not competing, but she should remove herself entirely at this point, the media circus can't be helping anyone, her most of all. 

Also, first big drug failure, one of the favourites for the women's 100m, Okagbare is out. 

I suspect that's a misunderstanding of how the twisties work; by what's been said here, and by the likes of Beth Tweddle on the BBC; they can affect a single move, a single apparatus, or everything; they can last an hour, or last forever. Simone herself says that hers usually last a couple of weeks, but can be a day or two - so giving herself an extra day or two makes absolute sense to me.

Equally, it's the solo events isn't it? so not a team event, so team-mates feelings aren't particularly relevant, as they don't exist.

Also in the news this morning is another white male withdrawing from a team sport for mental health reasons - roundly met with... support and understanding, with a general message of how brave he is for being open about his demons and having his priorities right.

13 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Equally, it's the solo events isn't it? so not a team event, so team-mates feelings aren't particularly relevant, as they don't exist.

I think BFC means that when Biles withdraws, a reserve team-mate takes her spot, but if that is the case, they'd be prepping anyway, so it shouldn't make that big a difference- physically at least.

Also that US mixed relay team got reinstated. 

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think BFC means that when Biles withdraws, a reserve team-mate takes her spot, but if that is the case, they'd be prepping anyway, so it shouldn't make that big a difference- physically at least.

Physically no difference, however at top level it's at least as much as mind as body. 

Preparing not knowing if you are going to compete or not isn't ideal. 

41 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Physically no difference, however at top level it's at least as much as mind as body. 

Preparing not knowing if you are going to compete or not isn't ideal. 

As I understand it, the person who comes in will already know they are first reserve, and won’t necessarily be a team mate of Biles - it will be whoever was next best in qualifying regardless of country.

7 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

As I understand it, the person who comes in will already know they are first reserve, and won’t necessarily be a team mate of Biles - it will be whoever was next best in qualifying regardless of country.

Didn't know that. Assumed it would be a US reserve. In that case she doesnt owe other countries anything. 

28 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Yep, one of the British gymnasts was talking about being first reserve, and training as if she was going to compete.
In one of Simone's events (Vault?) the first reserve is another American, who would have qualified by rights, but for the "2 per country" rule; but she's still "just" first reserve, but she'd be one of 2 "first equal" reserves.

4 Sportspeople withdraw from their events for reasons of mental health (I'm sure there are more, but these ones stand out in my mind).

2 of them are met with the utmost support, and are lauded for their stance. 2 of them are heavily criticised, and met with disbelief and accusations of cowardice.

I look at the pictures of the 4, and I just wonder, is there something about these 4 that could possibly account for the different reactions they received?
https://www.facebook.com/aidan.barry.967/posts/971521610088206

12 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

4 Sportspeople withdraw from their events for reasons of mental health during 2021 (I'm sure there are more).

2 of them are met with the utmost support, and are lauded for their stance. 2 of them are heavily criticised, and met with disbelief and accusations of cowardice.

I look at the pictures of the 4, and I just wonder, is there something about these 4 that could possibly account for the different reactions they received?
https://www.facebook.com/aidan.barry.967/posts/971521610088206

I think you are projecting a bit. There has been no difference at all with how they have been viewed. Other than a few right wing, reactionary talking heads, and troglodytes on twitter, who are not representative of the population. 

I've seen a fair bit of 'put your big boy pants on' about the rugby and cricket players. Facebook is not a news source. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Facebook is not a news source. 

As before when quoting "some random chiropractor from Tewkesbury" - I'm aware of this; but it's the only way of getting my pictures on this forum (and even then it's 50:50 at best).
FTR though, you're referencing Twitter in the same post as criticising my use of FB...

So I'm reading some chat that Biles may not have been allowed to take her ADHD meds to Olympics, that doesn't sound like something that would be conducive to performance. 

Though reports are not clear as to whether this has actually happened or not. 

44 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

As before when quoting "some random chiropractor from Tewkesbury" - I'm aware of this; but it's the only way of getting my pictures on this forum (and even then it's 50:50 at best).
FTR though, you're referencing Twitter in the same post as criticising my use of FB...

Yes, to say that its not reputable or representative, and that's the only place I've been made aware of this occurring. 

The mixed medley relay in the swimming is fun to watch, since each team gets to choose which legs are done by the men and which by the women and they're not all the same, so it's impossible to tell who is actually doing well and who just looks it because they had the men on the early legs.

30 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

The mixed medley relay in the swimming is fun to watch, since each team gets to choose which legs are done by the men and which by the women and they're not all the same, so it's impossible to tell who is actually doing well and who just looks it because they had the men on the early legs.

It was insane how much dressel pulled back and still wasn't enough. 

Archived