The Tokyo Olympic Games

Hakuhou showed up to watch the Judo, and the Kyokai is losing its collective mind over this "terrible indiscretion."

"This is a huge problem," said Shibatayama Oyakata.

Although he is a naturalized Japanese citizen, Hakuhou is also the Mongolian Olympic Ambassador.  He was present at the signing of the partnership between the Olympic committees of the two countries back in September of 2015.

If you ever wanted to see institutionalized racism at work, just review the way the Kyokai and the YDC has treated Hakuhou over the last decade.

I see the You Tube ptb has already made the Tokyo 2021 Elaine Thompson 100m videos ineligible for upload in the U.S.

Anywho they are available for viewing at their site if anyone hasn't already seen her amazing race.

As BFC mentions, the 200m will also likely be an amazing sight as well.

9 hours ago, ithanos said:

And Sifan Hassan (NED) has won the women's 5000m, with ease. Had the same 300m finishing kick she practiced earlier on in the afternoon.

Yes.  After that fall, amazing stuff.  She is going for a unique triple (1500, 5000 and 10000m).

And yes, Elaine Thompson looks very very strong.

Ireland never do particularly well at the Olympics.   So it was great when one of our boxers won a bronze a few days ago.  But he injured his ankle when celebrating.  So he had to pull out of his silver medal fight.  Congrats I suppose!

On 8/1/2021 at 1:27 PM, BigFatCoward said:

The men's 400m hurdles is going to go off. Warholm and Benjamin are both sub 47 runners, and the 2nd semi saw people running world class times 47.31 and 47.47.

Well I wasn't expecting that. Jesus christ.

Imagine being told you were going to run 46.72 and then finishing 3rd. Or as Rai Benjamin put it "If you would've told me that I was going to run 46.1 and lose, I would probably beat you up and tell you to get out of my room," 

Men's finn class sailing race has had me on the edge of my seat, I love these sports I'd never watch otherwise. This is what the Olympics is for.  

How utterly American to count total medals for the medals table rather than Gold > Silver > Bronze. You aren't fooling anyone you gobshites. 

Wasn't expecting that Danish/Britain heat in the men's team pursuit either, given the UK was clearly losing the heat and NZ were so close to the new WR set in the other heat it feels like the gold medal should be a repeat of that heat.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How utterly American to count total medals for the medals table rather than Gold > Silver > Bronze. You aren't fooling anyone you gobshites.

While I do see the reasoning for going gold > silver > bronze, I still think that medals total gives a better overview of country's success. I mean, silver and bronze are awarded for a reason.

Just for the record, not an American. ;) 

43 minutes ago, baxus said:

While I do see the reasoning for going gold > silver > bronze, I still think that medals total gives a better overview of country's success. I mean, silver and bronze are awarded for a reason.

Just for the record, not an American. ;) 

The best system (IMO) is 4 points for gold, 2 for silver and 1 for bronze.
Ultimately though, sport is about winning; and Silver is "first loser" - which is why the official tables use silvers to split draws in the gold rankings

Yeah, I understand all that. Still I think that if one country wins 2 gold medals and another wins 4 silver medals and five bronze medals, it's not that clear-cut as to who is better. We seem to have agreed to having gold>silver>bronze as measurement of who's the best and that's fine. It's just that medals total is also a pretty good indicator of country's success.

If every country could have only one chance at the medal per event, then gold > silver > bronze would obviously be better, but if Jamaica wins all three medals in 100m sprint then that kind of skews the logic.

46 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

The best system (IMO) is 4 points for gold, 2 for silver and 1 for bronze.
Ultimately though, sport is about winning; and Silver is "first loser" - which is why the official tables use silvers to split draws in the gold rankings

That's the shittest phrase in all of sport. The other way to look at silver is that you are the second best person in the world out of over 7bn people at the thing, which is extremely impressive and only a tiny bit less impressive than being the best in the world. Excellence in sports should be acknowledged much more than Gold or bust. That's such a narrow view. Personally I think anyone who goes to the Olympics and achieves a PB should be more acknowledged than they are at the moment. I do like how at this Olympics the results screen always shows a PB when it's an even where PB is a thing. If you do a PB at the Olympics it means you have really extended yourself and shown up for the big event. That in itself is an achievement when so many people get to the Olympics and underperform because the big occasion knocks them off their edge.

Also, if I believed in Hell I would want a special place reserved for all the Simone Biles haters. All those armchair gymnasts who haven't got a clue and who's greatest achievement in sport is to sit and criticise the athletes who actually get out there and do it. A specially spiked seat for Piers Morgan.

Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi, the two Namibian 18yr old women athletes who were withdrawn from competing in the Women's 400m when it was discovered they were not eligible for female classification, have both made the Women's 200m Final coming up tonight.

Elaine Thompson-Herah just looked in supreme form in the semis and has to be a strong favourite for the gold, ahead of Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Gabielle Thomas. But I would throw Mboma into the mix as a dark horse to challenge for the bronze. She set an under 20 World Record in her semi, coming in with her strong finish, so if she somehow manages a better start in the final she could be in with a chance.  

4 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi, the two Namibian 18yr old women athletes who were withdrawn from competing in the Women's 400m when it was discovered they were not eligible for female classification, have both made the Women's 200m Final coming up tonight.

Elaine Thompson-Herah just looked in supreme form in the semis and has to be a strong favourite for the gold, ahead of Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Gabielle Thomas. But I would throw Mboma into the mix as a dark horse to challenge for the bronze. She set an under 20 World Record in her semi, coming in with her strong finish, so if she somehow manages a better start in the final she could be in with a chance.  

She doesn't look like she should be able to get anywhere near the medals, her running style is all over the place but she does finish very well. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The 17 year old American looks pretty special, shame he comes across as an absolute dick. 

Doesn't come across as a dick to me. My stream footage is following him resting on the sidelines engaging with one of the officals - seems a good kid. And that's the thing - he's only 17! Wont turn 18 until next January. He'd almost be expected to be a dick with the hopes of maybe maturing out of the phase.

On that race though, now that's how you showboat a casual finish - from the front. Shericka Jackson should've taken notes.

Just seen the 2nd semi heat. Fahnbulleh and his slow starts, damn if he gets that sorted!

9 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Doesn't come across as a dick to me. My stream footage is following him resting on the sidelines engaging with one of the officals - seems a good kid. And that's the thing - he's only 17! Wont turn 18 until next January. He'd almost be expected to be a dick with the hopes of maybe maturing out of the phase.

On that race though, now that's how you showboat a casual finish - from the front. Shericka Jackson should've taken notes.

Just seen the 2nd semi heat. Fahnbulleh and his slow starts, damn if he gets that sorted!

For me that makes him a dick.

Lyles nearly saw what happens when you fuck about, very lucky. 

If Mu is leading coming to the bell, she'll be hard to overtake.

well done Mu, another young kid, just 19yrs old. The only time she has been beaten this year was in an indoor meet final where (and I do the other athlete a disservice not remembering her name) stayed in front of Mu suppressing her ability to stretch out.

The 19 year old British girl has smashed the British record winning the unexpected silver and so far I've seen her say 'what the fuck?' About 7 times on camera :rofl:the interviewer had to pre warn her that 'you are live on television'. 

Still shit that Semanya wasn't there. 

18 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Soo many PBs this meet. Athletes seem to agree this is a very fast track.

Soon find out. I would love to see the bullshit WR beaten.

update- 2nd fastest ever.

I don't know how Mboma runs so fast with that style, it doesn't seem possible. She needs to sort out her bend running. 

Archived