Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DireWolfSpirit

The Tokyo Olympic Games

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Dina Asher-Smith is out of the 100m. 

There is a Brit in the final though, Daryll Neita.

She has always been better at 200, but that performance doesn't fill me with confidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

She has always been better at 200, but that performance doesn't fill me with confidence. 

She just announced she's pulling out of that. Ain't going right for her. Been running on a torn hamstring, which makes that 10.97 less a disappointment and more an unreal piece of work. 

Edited by polishgenius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

She just announced she's pulling out of that. Ain't going right for her. Been running on a torn hamstring, which makes that 10.97 less a disappointment and more an unreal piece of work. 

That's a real shame. Some people only get 1 Olympics at their 'peak' age. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Very surprised Djokovic lost, and glad. Never warmed to him. 

Well, he’s in good company. Neither Federer nor Sampras ever won Olympic gold either.

Anyway, he took it too lightly, playing mixed doubles as well against the advice of his coaching team.
Onwards to the US Open, and calendar Grand Slam.

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Elaine Thompson-Herah takes out the Women's 100m in a new Olympic record of 10.61s, with Shelley-Anne Fraser-Pryce second, 10.74s, and Shericka Jackson third, 10.76s! Full podium for Jamaica!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ithanos said:

Wow Elaine Thompson-Herah takes out the Women's 100m in a new Olympic record of 10.61s, with Shelley-Anne Fraser-Pryce second, 10.74s, and Shericka Jackson third, 10.76s! Full podium for Jamaica!

Yep. She powered away in last 30m. Fastest realistic time ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even being a casual sprint watcher you could see the difference in technique there. Just so smooth all the way through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maltaran said:

The mixed medley relay in the swimming is fun to watch, since each team gets to choose which legs are done by the men and which by the women and they're not all the same, so it's impossible to tell who is actually doing well and who just looks it because they had the men on the early legs.

The mixed 4x400m in the athletics technically works the same way, but everyone in the final went for the same lineup with the men starting and finishing and the women in the middle, so it wasn't as fun as the swimming.

The mixed triathlon relay is fixed as woman-man-woman-man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yep. She powered away in last 30m. Fastest realistic time ever. 

I saw it was equal to Flo-Jo’s second fastest time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well, he’s in good company. Neither Federer nor Sampras ever won Olympic gold either.

Rafa did. GOAT! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rafa did. GOAT! 

Was it on clay by any chance?

Murray did it twice. Shame he was up against such an insane triumvirate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Was it on clay by any chance?

Murray did it twice. Shame he was up against such an insane triumvirate. 

 

Hardcourt! 

And I've always joked, in some alternate universe Feds, Rafa and Joker fell in love with golf and Murray has 30 slam victories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen that the women's 100m was into a 0.6 headwind. Makes that time even more impessive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

It was insane how much dressel pulled back and still wasn't enough. 

He and the whole team were screwed over by the idiotic strategy of their coaches. Putting a woman to swim the breaststroke in this event is just stupid even if she is the Olympic champion, especially for a nation like the US which had a swimmer who was 4th in the 100 m breaststroke here. The gap between men and women's times in breaststroke is much bigger than in any other style. Every other team put a man for the breaststroke leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Selig said:

He and the whole team were screwed over by the idiotic strategy of their coaches. Putting a woman to swim the breaststroke in this event is just stupid even if she is the Olympic champion, especially for a nation like the US which had a swimmer who was 4th in the 100 m breaststroke here. The gap between men and women's times in breaststroke is much bigger than in any other style. Every other team put a man for the breaststroke leg.

I feel I (and anyone else with 20 mins to spare) could work out the best formula on a spreadsheet very easily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Denvek said:

The mixed 4x400m in the athletics technically works the same way, but everyone in the final went for the same lineup with the men starting and finishing and the women in the middle, so it wasn't as fun as the swimming.

The mixed triathlon relay is fixed as woman-man-woman-man.

In some nordic sports mixed relay I think they have started rotating between MFMF and FMFM I assume to not make it seem like its most important to have the final leg being M.

The closing of the golf (not an Olympic sport but whatever) is insanely tight. There could be about 9 people in the playoff for different medals. 

Is this the least interesting men's 100m in history?  

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drama in the men's 100m semis with one of the favourites, Trayvon Bromell, failing to make the final. He was in the 2nd semi which ran a relatively slow heat and he was just pipped (equal 10.00s) for the second position needed to automatically qualify. There was a chance of him qualifying as one of the two fastest outside each heats top two, but the 3rd semi was a blinder, with the top four running under 9.91s - with China's Bingtian Su and USA's Ronnie Baker both running 9.83!! Gut wrenching for Bromell who had made a successful comeback from injury to compete again at the top level.  

Men;s 100m Final List

Lane                                                   PB       Season Best
2   RSA   SIMBINE Akani                     9.84     9.84     
3   ITA   JACOBS Lamont Marcell        9.84     9.84     
4   GBR   HUGHES Zharnel                 9.91     9.98     
5   USA   KERLEY Fred                        9.86     9.86     
6   CHN   SU Bingtian                        9.83     9.83
7   USA   BAKER Ronnie                     9.83     9.83     
8   NGR   ADEGOKE Enoch                9.98     9.98
9   CAN   de GRASSE Andre               9.90     9.91

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Drama in the men's 100m semis with one of the favourites, Trayvon Bromell, failing to make the final. He was in the 2nd semi which ran a relatively slow heat and he was just pipped (equal 10.00s) for the second position needed to automatically qualify. There was a chance of him qualifying as one of the two fastest outside each heats top two, but the 3rd semi was a blinder, with the top four running under 9.91s - with China's Bingtian Su and USA's Ronnie Baker both running 9.83!! Gut wrenching for Bromell who had made a successful comeback from injury to compete again at the top level.  

Men;s 100m Final List

Lane                                                   PB       Season Best
2   RSA   SIMBINE Akani                     9.84     9.84     
3   ITA   JACOBS Lamont Marcell        9.84     9.84     
4   GBR   HUGHES Zharnel                 9.91     9.98     
5   USA   KERLEY Fred                        9.86     9.86     
6   CHN   SU Bingtian                        9.83     9.83
7   USA   BAKER Ronnie                     9.83     9.83     
8   NGR   ADEGOKE Enoch                9.98     9.98
9   CAN   de GRASSE Andre               9.90     9.91

 

 

I suppose its interesting in that any of them could medal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...