Quarterfinal: Belgium vs Italy

Just now, Consigliere said:

Another class goal.

Belgium are fucked and Martinez is a fraud but this is all Mormont's fault.

I do have the kiss of death in this tournament.

Italy have been comfortably the better side but while it's close Belgium can still hope De Bruyne or Lukaku will pull something out of the bag for them. It does already feel like it'd be a bit of a travesty for Italy not to make the semifinal though.

Just now, Consigliere said:

Italy have played them off the park.

They have, but I'm not convinced they can keep up that kind of intensity for another 45 minutes. They've done brilliantly at cutting off Belgium's lines into midfield so the ball isn't going to Witsel and Tielemans at all, but they only need to lose an inch of pace for those blocks and tackles to turn into fouls and misses. We'll see.  

33 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Nah, that's stonewall. Not a bad foul, but an unquestionable one.  

Nah, that penalty was soft. I'd be fuming if a penalty like that was to be given against my team. But you can make that penalty, thus no clear and obvious error, thus no VAR intervention. VAR wouldn't have intervened if play had proceeded without the penalty call.

42 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

They have, but I'm not convinced they can keep up that kind of intensity for another 45 minutes. They've done brilliantly at cutting off Belgium's lines into midfield so the ball isn't going to Witsel and Tielemans at all, but they only need to lose an inch of pace for those blocks and tackles to turn into fouls and misses. We'll see.  

The problem Belgium have here is that Italy are having enough possession that they can rest for a bit between attacks and presses.

Archived