Quarterfinal: Ukraine vs England

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

Football is at a train station, ready to purchase a ticket to its final destination. On the destination board, there are four options:

1) Italy

2) Spain

3) Denmark

4) Home

Sounds like a one-way ticket to a bad bad situation

25 minutes ago, Leap said:

Gotta say some credit to the England squad. We chat a lot of shit but the results of the last WC and this Euros aren't nothing. At least compared to the decades before.

Consecutive semi finals would be a barely believable fantasy. 

20 minutes ago, Raja said:

The unfortunate part of this is southgate will probably be able to stay for as long as he wants.

That would be devastating, since he might continue England's best continuous run in international football for (checks notes) ever.

Obviously the 1966 win dominates, but apart from that we have a fourth place (World Cup 90, 18) and third place (Euro 68, 96). Compared to the current run of fourth place in the 2018 World Cup, third place in the UEFA Nations in 2018-19 and now a minimum of fourth place in Euro 20 and potentially higher. Not a bad score sheet.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I enjoy criticising Southgate and will no doubt continue to be annoyed by his conservatism in future but it's hard to argue with making the semis without conceding a goal, especially now the attack is starting to come together.

The last team who went five games without conceding a goal was Italy in the 1990 World Cup, who went on to, er, come third. But still, a nice run.

33 minutes ago, Raja said:

The unfortunate part of this is southgate will probably be able to stay for as long as he wants.

Never liked having Southgate as manager, always felt like the sort of booby prize manager Spurs would end up with.

But can’t argue with almost any of the decisions he’s made during this competition. He’s been tactically astute, flexible, he’s used the squad in a really intelligent way. He’s often cautious, but then you see during this Ukraine game that he is able to set the team up in a more aggressive attacking manner.  

I feel very comfortable with him as manager going forward. I’d be scared we’d dump him and end up with a string of Capello type mangers 

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

third place in the UEFA Nations in 2018-19

To be fair this means nothing, it's glorified qualifying mixed with glorified friendlies, but yeah, Southgate's done well. We can't deny he's been lucky with the draw- in both major tournaments the only team they've beaten that England wouldn't be expecting to beat most times is Germany- but they've started actually putting attacking plans into play on top of the defensive solidity.

I was just complaining the other day that England have the best collection of dribblers possibly of any team in the world right now and aren't using them, but these two games have started to see exactly the tactics I wanted come to effect, even if I do still think Grealish should have started ahead of Mount for even more effect (to whit, have the dribblers make extended runs at angles across the opponent's lines of defence to draw players then plan runs into the gaps that leaves). 

43 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not a bad score sheet.

Sure. I just don't really enjoy the football his teams play, especially given the talent available. Same with Martinez. Of course, this is subjective and people might not care if it takes you far in tournaments, and that's totally fine, but it's not an opinion I share.

59 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

We can't deny he's been lucky with the draw- in both major tournaments the only team they've beaten that England wouldn't be expecting to beat most times is Germany

The necessary note to this is that England historically have not got a great record of beating the teams they would be expecting to beat.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

The necessary note to this is that England historically have not got a great record of beating the teams they would be expecting to beat.

Sure, and in fairness, this was true at the world cup too. They should have been able to beat Croatia.

But this group is better than that group. 

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Never liked having Southgate as manager, always felt like the sort of booby prize manager Spurs would end up with.

And to be fair, that's kind of how he got the England job after the FA's first choice of Big Sam had to resign after getting caught being massively corrupt.

Archived