U.S. Politics Independance Day edition

DireWolfSpirit

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Even more specifically, it's always baffled me that the same people who are quick to label liberals as social justice warriors are also the same types that love to tell you how much they love Jesus and how that makes them better than you.

During my deconversion, I still remember attending some bible study or another where we were discussing Luke 6-30.  Which basically says:

If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them.  Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you. - Luke 6, 29 - 30

And it was jaw dropping to watch the other attendees, every one of them college educated with good jobs, tapdance around this because it make them uncomfortable.  Seemed like a pretty clear and straight forward verse to me.  But no. . . it had "deeper meaning."

22 minutes ago, argonak said:

I'm curious what percentage of NFL's target market (the people they think they can get to watch football) are actually red hats.  Football has always been a widely popular sport across a diverse spectrum.  Catering too much to a small minority of loud angry bitter people probably just turned off a lot of other people from the NFL.  

Football is inherently a conservative game with its military connections and it has stronger ties to religion than any of the other major North American sports. And with the NFL, we only need to look at two examples: Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. The former is literally one of the worst QBs I've ever seen play, but despite that, he was celebrated like crazy for one season and it was completely tied to his strong faith that he wore on his sleeve. OTOH we have Kaep, an actually good QB who made it to the Superb Owl, but was run out of the league because he knelt to protest police brutality and racial discrimination in the judicial system. The league strong embraced Tebow during his run while distancing itself from Kaep. 

15 minutes ago, argonak said:

During my deconversion, I still remember attending some bible study or another where we were discussing Luke 6-30.  Which basically says:

And it was jaw dropping to watch the other attendees, every one of them college educated with good jobs, tapdance around this because it make them uncomfortable.  Seemed like a pretty clear and straight forward verse to me.  But no. . . it had "deeper meaning."

The Bible has around 100 references discussing how you should treat strangers and those in need. Hasn't stopped a lot of strong Christians from supporting what's going at our Southern border.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Football is inherently a conservative game with its military connections and it has stronger ties to religion than any of the other major North American sports. And with the NFL, we only need to look at two examples: Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. The former is literally one of the worst QBs I've ever seen play, but despite that, he was celebrated like crazy for one season and it was completely tied to his strong faith that he wore on his sleeve. OTOH we have Kaep, an actually good QB who made it to the Superb Owl, but was run out of the league because he knelt to protest police brutality and racial discrimination in the judicial system. The league strong embraced Tebow during his run while distancing itself from Kaep. 

Turns out that the NFL is like most sports in general, and also is not the most Republican - that'd be the NHL. 

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/10/sports-fan-base-demographic-data/

The MLB - probably because it skews more old - is worse as well. 

33 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Turns out that the NFL is like most sports in general, and also is not the most Republican - that'd be the NHL. 

https://morningconsult.com/2020/09/10/sports-fan-base-demographic-data/

The MLB - probably because it skews more old - is worse as well. 

Interesting, but to be fair the differences between the three are a marginal and the fanbase of the NFL is a lot bigger. I think the key is the NFL seems to think its fans skew to the right based on how they behave.

I’d be really interested to see what the numbers are for NCAAF.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Tom Brady has apparently decided it no longer makes financial sense to be pro-Trump...

See, that's one of the many reasons I'd make a horrible president. I am not sure I could'Ve resisted the urge to ask where he'd left his maggot cap.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting, but to be fair the differences between the three are a marginal and the fanbase of the NFL is a lot bigger. I think the key is the NFL seems to think its fans skew to the right based on how they behave.

I think they think that their fans don't care that much about politics. 

3 of the QOP committee picks voted against certifying the election. One of them, Jim Banks, tweeted in the mornig of Jan 6 that "the senators are going to get their steps in today." Fine people on both sides, folks!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

NASCAR is Trumpanista territory.

Funny thing is in 2018 the NFL had a net favorability of -11 among Republicans - the only sport to register a negative favorability by either party.  Of course, while GOP respondents may register "disapproval" at the NFL while their president was attacking it, there doesn't seem to be any indication that that translates to their viewing habits and/or being fans.  That metric does show more differences between sports - the NBA clearly skews Dem, NASCAR clearly skews GOP, and NHL and MLB are pretty even but slightly skew right. 

Either way, the differences are clearly predominately due to the racial makeup of the fanbase.  Pretty funny Kal's link shows that Boston teams consistently have one of the whitest fanbases across all four sports.

44 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

I think they think that their fans don't care that much about politics. 

The reaction to the anthem protests suggests otherwise. Also doesn’t help that basically everyone in a leadership position is an old white conservative.  

31 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

NASCAR is Trumpanista territory.

For sure. That's also why I was curious about college football given how big it is in the Southeast. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

The reaction to the anthem protests suggests otherwise. Also doesn’t help that basically everyone in a leadership position is an old white conservative.  

For sure. That's also why I was curious about college football given how big it is in the Southeast. 

It’s an interesting question.

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Either way, the differences are clearly predominately due to the racial makeup of the fanbase.  Pretty funny Kal's link shows that Boston teams consistently have one of the whitest fanbases across all four sports.

I dunno that that's all that surprising; Boston has been well known as one of the whitest and most racist fanbases out there. 

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The reaction where? We didn't see a whole lot of actual reaction from fans or fanbases. Ratings weren't down. Activities around the NFL (like fantasy football) weren't down. Were there some people at games who booed? Yeah, probably, but those are also not particularly representative of NFL fans as a rule - they're more affluent and tend to skew older. 

5 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

I dunno that that's all that surprising

Oh yeah I certainly wasn't surprised - particularly the Celtics fanbase being by far the whitest in the NBA.

9 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

We didn't see a whole lot of actual reaction from fans or fanbases. Ratings weren't down. Activities around the NFL (like fantasy football) weren't down.

Right, again, politicizing issues within a sport/league may polarize fans' attitudes/feelings towards that sport, but I don't see any indication that changes fans' behavior irt following said sports.

13 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Yeah the Boston fans being racist got a bunch of traction during the Lakers / Celtics showdowns in the 80s.

But hey, arguing over that rivalry helped convince Ed Norton to stop being a nazi.

30 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

The reaction where? We didn't see a whole lot of actual reaction from fans or fanbases. Ratings weren't down. Activities around the NFL (like fantasy football) weren't down. Were there some people at games who booed? Yeah, probably, but those are also not particularly representative of NFL fans as a rule - they're more affluent and tend to skew older. 

They booed a show of unity during the opening game this year, lol. I agree otherwise that their behavior didn't change that much when it comes to consumption habits, but it was polarizing and the NFL didn't accidentally placate its more conservative fans.

15 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Yeah the Boston fans being racist got a bunch of traction during the Lakers / Celtics showdowns in the 80s.

Go read what Celtics fans did to Bill Russell's house when he was winning them championships every year:

The already hostile atmosphere between Russell and Boston hit its apex when vandals broke into his house, covered the walls with racist graffiti, damaged his trophies and defecated in the beds.[78] In response, Russell described Boston as a "flea market of racism"

That was in 1966, and he had experienced racists abuses for years prior to that.

OMG. So asinine and destructive. I lived in Boston for a year. It should go without saying that I wouldn’t have been nice to someone “ doing” racism, but I probably missed things because I don’t think like a racist.( preposterous, illogical and destructive) and I didn’t know the sports history.

Archived