U.S. Politics Independance Day edition

DireWolfSpirit

1 hour ago, DMC said:

But hey, arguing over that rivalry helped convince Ed Norton to stop being a nazi.

AND YOU'RE WELCOME.

53 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

OMG. So asinine and destructive. I lived in Boston for a year. It should go without saying that I wouldn’t have been nice to someone “ doing” racism, but I probably missed things because I don’t think like a racist.( preposterous, illogical and destructive) and I didn’t know the sports history.

Racism can absolutely be overt -- it's more in a "apartments and affordable housing hurt real estate values" and "are you lost?" respect where communities are extremely segregated, so the small PoC population is either transient (academic) or segregated to majority minority areas/cities (Roxbury, Dorchester, Springfield, Chicopee, Lawrence, etc.). In that physical segregation there is enormous wealth disparity -- Boston property is worth a lot more than a large house in Gardner. So, there is almost a white-Boston that the world sees and a Black Boston that is visible to those who live there and engage with the space physically.

-- I was recently back in my hometown, not far from Boston, where my wife and I were sitting outside at a new, local brewery having a beer while waiting for takeout. There was a "Black Lives Matter" sign on the porch -- which made my wife remark on how she had not seen a Black person since we got in our car in Boston. It's true -- my public high school class of 400 had 2 Black students (other diversity existed -- with many kids from south east Asia). The separation is classist and physical -- which leads to an 'out of sight out of mind' in some areas.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m a little confused.  Are you agreeing with my point that sarcasticly fanning the flames of Trumpanista rage is a bad idea or is your point that anything anyone does that detracts from the Trumpanista narrative is going to piss them off?

I’m saying it depends. Some taunts against them are well worth utilizing.

Others not so much. Sarcastic admissions of rigging the election by public or political figures doesn’t help.

Humpty Dumpty now calls his delta spreader events Make America Great Again Victory Rallies.

In other news,

Two-thirds of Democratic primary voters in Arizona say they would support a primary challenge to Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) if she continues to oppose filibuster reform in the Senate, according to a new poll from the progressive think tank Data for Progress.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/563905-poll-two-thirds-of-az-democratic-primary-voters-would-back-primary

Couldn't happen to a better person...

18 hours ago, Kaligator said:

Turns out that the NFL is like most sports in general, and also is not the most Republican - that'd be the NHL. 

I assume that's looking at US fans only? Because I would think Canadian NHL fans would ensure that it has the most liberal fanbase overall.

23 minutes ago, Fez said:

I assume that's looking at US fans only? Because I would think Canadian NHL fans would ensure that it has the most liberal fanbase overall.

Considering that most of the country is part of the fan base, and 60+% vote for centre left parties, that is an easy assumption to make.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Canada has a lot of their own type of conservatives though.  They're just different.

Pelosi rejects Jordan, Banks for Jan. 6 Committee:

In a statement, Pelosi said Democrats in her caucus had raised specific objections to Jordan and Banks "and the impact their appointments may have on the integrity of the investigation."

“With respect for the integrity of the investigation, with an insistence on the truth and with concern about statements made and actions taken by these Members, I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan to the Select Committee," she said.

Was there ever any doubt that McCarthy would turn it into a clown and grievance show? I mean, after dragging out procedures as much as possible. What else can you do when you're complicit in the crime you're supposed to be investigating and have no intention to come clean?

Meanwhile, in Texas:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texas-senate-education-bill-white-supremacy_n_60f50cf6e4b01f11895b2dc3

Texas Senate Bill Drops Teaching Requirement That Ku Klux Klan Is ‘Morally Wrong’

In a new political low in Texas, the Republican-dominated state Senate has passed a bill to eliminate a requirement that public schools teach that the Ku Klux Klan and its white supremacist campaign of terror are “morally wrong.”

The cut is among some two dozen curriculum requirements dropped from the new measure, along with studying Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, the works of United Farm Workers leader Cesar Chavez, Susan B. Anthony’s writings about the women’s suffragist movement, and Native American history. (...)

Though the new bill essentially erases the cautionary lessons to be learned from the Ku Klux Klan, Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick praised the legislation for rejecting “philosophies that espouse that one race or sex is better than another.”

Parents “want their students to learn how to think critically, not be indoctrinated by the ridiculous leftist narrative that America and our Constitution are rooted in racism,” Patrick, who presides over the Senate, added in a statement.

4 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Was there ever any doubt that McCarthy would turn it into a clown and grievance show? I mean, after dragging out procedures as much as possible. What else can you do when you're complicit in the crime you're supposed to be investigating and have no intention to come clean?

Meanwhile, in Texas:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texas-senate-education-bill-white-supremacy_n_60f50cf6e4b01f11895b2dc3

Texas Senate Bill Drops Teaching Requirement That Ku Klux Klan Is ‘Morally Wrong’

In a new political low in Texas, the Republican-dominated state Senate has passed a bill to eliminate a requirement that public schools teach that the Ku Klux Klan and its white supremacist campaign of terror are “morally wrong.”

The cut is among some two dozen curriculum requirements dropped from the new measure, along with studying Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, the works of United Farm Workers leader Cesar Chavez, Susan B. Anthony’s writings about the women’s suffragist movement, and Native American history. (...)

Though the new bill essentially erases the cautionary lessons to be learned from the Ku Klux Klan, Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick praised the legislation for rejecting “philosophies that espouse that one race or sex is better than another.”

Parents “want their students to learn how to think critically, not be indoctrinated by the ridiculous leftist narrative that America and our Constitution are rooted in racism,” Patrick, who presides over the Senate, added in a statement.

It’s a real wonder why women and non-whites tend to vote Democratic. Must be do to the SJW brainwashing/s

On 7/20/2021 at 6:24 AM, DMC said:

Interesting poll showing "wokeness" is actually more popular than it is unpopular - with a plurality not giving a shit either way.  32 percent of respondents consider themselves to be "woke" compared to 23 percent that do not.  13 percent are unsure and another 31 percent don't know what "woke" means.  Additionally:

It's almost as if those that harp about "wokeness" being a pervasive problem throughout society are simply a distinct minority that like to whine about anything that allows them to hear the sound of their own voice.

I do think sometimes people are being unreasonable when they think they’re being woke.

Lindsey Ellis did a great video on being cancelled.
I do concede however for many it’s just a way to shut down any rhetoric or action they don’t like as “woke” without doing the labor of explaining on what exactly they find wrong with the actions and rhetoric and question.

Just take it as a given most people don’t like it so shut up about that woke stuff and be ever fearful about being perceived as it.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I do think sometimes people are being unreasonable when they think they’re being woke.

Lindsey Ellis did a great video on being cancelled.
I do concede however for many it’s just a way to shut down any rhetoric or action they don’t like as “woke” without doing the labor of explaining on what exactly they find wrong with the actions and rhetoric and question.

Just take it as a given most people don’t like it so shut up about that woke stuff and be ever fearful about being perceived as it.

Although wokeness* annoys me no end, I doubt it influences many voters whose votes aren't already decided. I think those of us who follow politics forget that most of what we obsess over never even crosses the radar of most Americans, who are focused on living, working, recreation, etc. So I doubt that anything Robin DiAngelo says changes elections.

(*As a diehard liberal, it pains me to admit this.)

EDITED: I enjoyed Ellis's video, but Natalie Wynn's was IMO even better. It's the length of a feature film!

6 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I guess the next step is saying the Nazis were actually fighting against racism.

4 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I guess the next step is saying the Nazis were actually fighting against racism.

They went there quite some time ago.  Not even beginning with "good people on both sides."

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

They went there quite some time ago.  Not even beginning with "good people on both sides."

Donald Trump was the least interesting thing about the Trump years, because, when the rubber meets the road, he's a simple guy. Avarice plus ego. What's more interesting is how many Americans were either enthusiastic about supporting him, or were reluctant but willing to do so anyway. I'll be thinking about that for a long, long time.

17 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

"WW2 started because the French and Brits were scheming to prevent Germans from uniting as a people."

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I don't think so.  I think, as the poll suggests, the vast majority of people either don't give a shit about wokeness or view it favorably.  I also agree with the above that it's very unlikely to be a salient factor driving voting behavior.  Railing against wokeness or cancel culture may be a good way to rile up the base, and thus a tactic for GOP candidates to employ during primary season, but it's not going to get you very far in a competitive general.  Put another way, it's virtue signaling.

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

You are familiar, aren’t you, with the fact that Germany invaded Poland because they claimed the Polish government and people were attacking the ethnic German population? Poland had ceased to exist before WW 1 because it had been divided up between Russia, Prussia and Austria, and was restored to nationhood after the war. Many of the ethnic Germans who had “settled” in western Poland after partitions were done remained and the Nazis created propaganda films using actors to show Germans being attacked by Poles, their houses burned down and being driven off their farms. The German army had to bring these racist actions to an end!

7 hours ago, L'oiseau français said:

You are familiar, aren’t you, with the fact that Germany invaded Poland because they claimed the Polish government and people were attacking the ethnic German population? Poland had ceased to exist before WW 1 because it had been divided up between Russia, Prussia and Austria, and was restored to nationhood after the war. Many of the ethnic Germans who had “settled” in western Poland after partitions were done remained and the Nazis created propaganda films using actors to show Germans being attacked by Poles, their houses burned down and being driven off their farms. The German army had to bring these racist actions to an end!

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

"WW2 started because the French and Brits were scheming to prevent Germans from uniting as a people."

:ninja:

Archived