The most flawed part of ASOS

Canon Claude

1 hour ago, Groo said:

Sure, although this is another version of dealing with Robb first over dealing with Stannis. Note that there's an important difference between an enemy that is boxed in and an enemy that has nowhere to go to. Robb was close to being trapped in the Riverlands but he had somewhere to go. He could rebuild if he could get back to the North. Stannis, on the other hand, didn't appear to have anywhere else to go. Again, my point is just about timing. The original poster was bothered by Stannis being ignored in the third book while Tywin kept focusing on Robb.

And my thought was that Robb was trapped in the Riverlands; the Lannisters are to the south and west, the Vale had closed its borders, and the Ironborn held Moat Cailin. Unless he could get his army around the Neck, Robb was trapped.

3 hours ago, Groo said:

Sure, although this is another version of dealing with Robb first over dealing with Stannis. Note that there's an important difference between an enemy that is boxed in and an enemy that has nowhere to go to. Robb was close to being trapped in the Riverlands but he had somewhere to go. He could rebuild if he could get back to the North. Stannis, on the other hand, didn't appear to have anywhere else to go. Again, my point is just about timing. The original poster was bothered by Stannis being ignored in the third book while Tywin kept focusing on Robb.

Apart from the logic of the situation, Stannis brooding at Dragonstone actually felt natural to me. Stannis didn't naturally attract followers. To get his army he had to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat with the shadow babies. After the Blackwater he was back to no army and few followers. No one was going to flock to his banner. In fact, I would say the world seemingly ignoring Stannis at Dragonstone is in keeping with his whole personality and character arc.  

He also had to deal with Robb before stannis because of the situation in the Vale. With a large chunk almost in open rebellion AND the fact there are significant blood ties between the Arryns and Starks and Tullys, it makes sense to sort those two things out first. I don't recall if LF hatched his plot for Lysa before or after the RW, but the plans are being done in tandem for a reason.

17 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He also had to deal with Robb before stannis because of the situation in the Vale. With a large chunk almost in open rebellion AND the fact there are significant blood ties between the Arryns and Starks and Tullys, it makes sense to sort those two things out first. I don't recall if LF hatched his plot for Lysa before or after the RW, but the plans are being done in tandem for a reason.

It happens before the RW. Robb is still very much alive when Littlefinger leaves for the Vale.

Archived