Which character would surprise you the most if he or she survived TWOW?

Tukata12

I mean, we all kind of have our expectations and our little predictions for who will die in TWOW, and some characters seem way more likely to die than others, considering their plot and/or the situation they're in at the end of the last book (or the start of TWOW). But what if one of these characters you're sure will die in TWOW actually survived against all odds and was still alive at the end of TWOW? Which character's survival would be the most unexpected (and if they survive, how do you see their plot evolving past the point where you were sure they would actually die?)

This is George RR Martin you're talking about. 

George 

RR

Martin 

Self explanatory post 

You shouldn't be surprised at anyone's death is what I mean. That's exactly why we love him. Though we momentarily hate him for a loved one's death. 

I'm going for the cheap answer and saying "anyone already shown to die". Viserys Targaryen is a fine candidate, for instance. Or Tywin Lannister. It would surprise me greatly if they were alive at the end of TWoW.

Possibly even more so for long-dead historical characters. Rhaegar Targaryen, Beron Stark, Aegon the Conqueror, Lann the Clever ... their appearance would be most surprising indeed.

Unless the book ends in a flashback? Gah, you never know with GRRM.

Certainly I'd be surprised if Shireen survived. GRRM has basically said that will be a plot point at some point, and you have to think based on Stannis' status at the moment, he is getting close to his last resort. There are two ways to look at it though. If she isn't dead, either GRRM has not progressed the plot enough and will need 2 more books (kill me), or Stannis makes some actual progress in his efforts and has not gotten to his lowest point.

Archived