Why is Marwyn making the long journey to meet Dany?

Falcon2909

Marwyn is currently travelling by ship to meet Dany. But why make the journey? 

Since he has managed to light a glass candle he should be able to use it to talk to Dany like Quaithe does. He doesn't need to make the lengthy, risky voyage to meet her. He can advise her though his glass candle.

To talk through glass candles both should have one. Dany has none. Otherwise you can give only dreams or illusions. Between Quaithe, Euron and Marwyn trying to influence Dany at the same time, she can get easily crazy. It might well be that it requires a lot of effort to find the target. Much like the palantirs.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

To talk through glass candles both should have one. Dany has none. Otherwise you can give only dreams or illusions. Between Quaithe, Euron and Marwyn trying to influence Dany at the same time, she can get easily crazy. It might well be that it requires a lot of effort to find the target. Much like the palantirs.

Quaithe was able to live-chat with Dany when she was atop the pyramid in mereen. Dany asks how did she get here, quaithe says through 'another way' - meaning that they were chatting live, quaithe was not sending dany a dream/illusion/recorded message

12 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

Quaithe was able to live-chat with Dany when she was atop the pyramid in mereen. Dany asks how did she get here, quaithe says through 'another way' - meaning that they were chatting live, quaithe was not sending dany a dream/illusion/recorded message

A short chat that hardly influence Dany's actions.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

A short chat that hardly influence Dany's actions.

My point is - you don't have to have a glass candle in order for somebody with a glass candle to contact you.

10 hours ago, SocratesSnow said:

One word. Dragons. He wants to see them for himself. 

Will he arrive during the battle in mereen? and those dragons will be in the air with no one to tame them until dany returns months later.

6 hours ago, Orion2 said:

he doesnt want to get shanked by the maesters

hope those grey sheep open their eyes and stop being anti-magic. if they don't, they should be killed

Daenerys has never met Marwyn.  Why would listen to him if he tries to cold-call her out of thin air?  At least she already knew who Quaithe was.  If she recognizes Marwyn's name, it would be because he trained Mirri Maz Door, hardly an asset.  If he wants to be listened to, he is going to have to be there.  Also, he will give better advice if he is present to see how Daenerys acts, reacts, responds, etc. to events. 

Your suggestion also depends on the glass candles being reliable, accurate, and easy to use, and that they do what you want, when you want. I doubt that is the case.  Magic in Westeros doesn't work that way.  It is mysterious, poorly understood, and not particularly reliable, and GRRM likes it that way.  He doesn't want to make it easy to do stuff by magic.  Marwyn's traveling to Daenerys because dealing with her long-distance just isn't going to work.

Do we actually know that Quaithe uses a glass candle to communicate with Dany? It's a popular theory here, but I don't think there's any confirmation in the text. Even if she does, we don't know that Marwyn can do it.  He has some ability with the glass candles, but we don't know if he's mastered that skill.

Marwyn is an Archmaester; his rod and mask are Valyrian steel.  He may know more about magic and dragons than anyone else in this world, or at least anyone West of Asshai.  He's spent much of his life studying the higher mysteries, the ancient prophecies, and probably the history of House Targeryen.  And he's a man of action, not someone who sits in a tower reading old books and writing new ones.

When he heard Maester Aemon (Targeryen)'s thoughts from Sam, he headed for the docks at once. We know he can use a glass candle to see things at a distance, at least to another building in the Citadel.  Perhaps he's been looking much farther, monitoring events in Slaver's Bay.  Sam's report must have given him the final piece of some puzzle, helped him decide what he must do.  Probably he's going to do some things that require him to be there himself, not just send instructions to Dany.

21 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Since he has managed to light a glass candle he should be able to use it to talk to Dany like Quaithe does. He doesn't need to make the lengthy, risky voyage to meet her. He can advise her though his glass candle.

Daenerys Targaryen is the most important person in the story.  If you notice, a lot of very importance characters are making their way to Essos to meet Her Grace.  It's almost as if Marwyn was waiting for her all these years.  Transferring information is not his only objective.  He wants to protect Daenerys. 

17 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Daenerys Targaryen is the most important person in the story.  If you notice, a lot of very importance characters are making their way to Essos to meet Her Grace.  It's almost as if Marwyn was waiting for her all these years.  Transferring information is not his only objective.  He wants to protect Daenerys. 

Or maybe he wants her dragons for himself like the warlocks wanted, or to sacrifice her

"Hey there Dany, complete stranger calling you in your dreams via the magic telephone (even though the text has not shown that I can, in fact, call people in dreams using the magic dream-o-phone)."

"I'm a maester from the kingdom ruled by those who overthrew and killed your father, eldest brother, sister-in-law, niece, and nephew...  also, technically, I am subservient to the current ruler here."

"There is some danger from other people, who are also maesters, but you should total trust me for... reasons."

"Oh, and it is possible that I taught/knew the magi woman who kind of murdered your husband and child."

"Don't worry, it is cool."

THAT, is why not.

My question is when is Marwyn going to meet her and what is he going to find when he gets to Meereen?  Assuming that Dany isn't there when he arrives, but Victarion and Moqorro have arrived.  Will Tyrion meet Moqorro again and what will he make of Marwyn?

Presumably Marwyn has seen what is going on in Meereen by way of glass candle.  He may be going for other reasons than to advise Dany.

Moqorro to Tyrion:

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion VIII

"Someone told me that the night is dark and full of terrors. What do you see in those flames?"

"Dragons," Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros. He spoke it very well, with hardly a trace of accent. No doubt that was one reason the high priest Benerro had chosen him to bring the faith of R'hllor to Daenerys Targaryen. "Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

Dragons on the loose:

Spoiler

The white dragon is in play and falls at Tyrion's feet in a game of cyvasse:

The Winds of Winter - Tyrion I

"This." Mormont's longsword was in his hand. As the rider turned, Ser Jorah thrust it through his throat. The point came out the back of the Yunkishman's neck, red and wet. Blood bubbled from his lips and down his chin. The man took two wobbly steps and fell across the <i>cyvasse</i> board, scattering the wooden armies everywhere. He twitched a few more times, grasping the blade of Mormont's sword with one hand as the other clawed feebly at the overturned table. Only then did the Yunkishman seem to realize he was dead. He lay facedown on the carpet in a welter of red blood and oily black roses. Ser Jorah wrenched his sword free of the dead man's neck. Blood ran down its fullers.

The white <i>cyvasse</i> dragon ended up at Tyrion's feet. He scooped it off the carpet and wiped it on his sleeve, but some of the Yunkish blood had collected in the fine grooves of the carving, so the pale wood seemed veined with red. "All hail our beloved queen, Daenerys." <i>Be she alive or be she dead.</i> He tossed the bloody dragon in the air, caught it, grinned. "We have always been the queen's men," announced Brown Ben Plumm. "Rejoining the Yunkai'i was just a plot."

"And what a clever ploy it was." Tyrion gave the dead man a shove with his boot. "If that breastplate fits, I want it."

A Search of Ice and Fire | 'white dragon'

The question is what does Marwyn know about binding horns and dragon lore?

On 7/6/2021 at 4:46 AM, Falcon2909 said:

Being with her in person allows him to advise her as events unfold. From the Citadel, he has no real way to know what she is facing on a day-to-day basis.

Plus, I'll echo what others have said. She has no idea who Marwyn is, no reason to believe or trust in anything he has to say -- especially if she happens to remember the name of the maester who taught MMD the healing ways of the Sunset Lands.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, SocratesSnow said:

One word. Dragons. He wants to see them for himself. 

I can understand this.  Many would risk their lives to see dragons and the most beautiful girl in the world.  

On 7/7/2021 at 2:15 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Marwyn didn't jump to Rhaegar and Stannis.  He knew them to be fakes.  Dany is the real hero.  

14 hours ago, Rondo said:

Marwyn didn't jump to Rhaegar and Stannis.  He knew them to be fakes.  Dany is the real hero.

Marwyn is the guy that doesnt trust prophecies at all. It's Aemon that thought Dany was the hero

The same reason Aemon wanted to go to Dany:

"No one ever looked for a girl," he said. "It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought . . . the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young, but later he became persuaded that it was his own son who fulfilled the prophecy, for a comet had been seen above King's Landing on the night Aegon was conceived, and Rhaegar was certain the bleeding star had to be a comet. What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one, born amidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it." Just talking of her seemed to make him stronger. "I must go to her. I must. Would that I was even ten years younger."

A Feast for Crows - Samwell IV

Worth noting that it sure sounds like Marwyn has Targaryen blood too...

"If I tell you, they may need to kill you too." Marywn smiled a ghastly smile, the juice of the sourleaf running red between his teeth. "Who do you think killed all the dragons the last time around? Gallant dragonslayers armed with swords?" He spat. "The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can."

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V

On 7/8/2021 at 11:16 AM, John Suburbs said:

Plus, I'll echo what others have said. She has no idea who Marwyn is, no reason to believe or trust in anything he has to say -- especially if she happens to remember the name of the maester who taught MMD the healing ways of the Senset Lands.

This is such a good point.  

Archived