Watch Watched Watching: The Rambunctious Cinema of Terrence Malick

polishgenius

8 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

About to start a rewatch of Babylon 5. Am I better sticking to my dvds or watch it on Prime? I understand the streaming version has issues, but is it worse than the DVDs?

Last I heard they had greatly improved the B5 streams. They should be superior to the DVDs in most scenes. I think they fixed the issue with a couple of episodes getting cut off early.

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

Last I heard they had greatly improved the B5 streams. They should be superior to the DVDs in most scenes. I think they fixed the issue with a couple of episodes getting cut off early.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Ran said:

I think the end of the first season had him going back to Africa, but he returned the next season at some point, IIRC.

:o

I am pretty sure you will enjoy it. Wonderful, sparkling script by James Goldman adapted from his play, and the cast is just craaaaazy: Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, young Anthony Hopkins, young Timothy Dalton, Nigel Terry well before Excalibur, Jane Merrow, John Castle... fantastic film.

Here's a good, representative scene:

Man, I never once realized that was Dalton :o

19 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Watched the pilot of Ted Lasso.  Deeply unfunny for me, plus I want to kill the protagonist. Slowly.

You must be a ginger in real life, cause you clearly have no soul :P

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Man, I never once realized that was Dalton

His very first film role, too. Terry’s as well, and Hopkins’s second after a small part in The White Bus a year earlier.

There’s an interview with Hepburn somwhere or other where she talked about Dalton as being a beautiful young man. Heh. TBH, he would have made a fine Renly.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

You must be a ginger in real life, cause you clearly have no soul :P

Is that a reference I don't get, or are you just saying I'm a witch? :cool4:

I mean, I don't necessarily disagree, but....

53 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

I’m tapping out on Gunpowder Milkshake. I think it’d take a miracle to redeem what I’ve seen in the first forty-five minutes. It’s just bad. 

It's not super great. It starts out pretty slow. There are a couple of good action sequences - the standout is her arms getting paralyzed and fighting three thugs hopped up on laughing gas - but it's not all that awesome.

4 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

It's not super great. It starts out pretty slow. There are a couple of good action sequences - the standout is her arms getting paralyzed and fighting three thugs hopped up on laughing gas - but it's not all that awesome.

I think that was about to happen when I quit. I might try to finish it later, but I don’t feel very motivated. It’s sad, because there are quite a few actors that I like in the movie. 

I watched the final episode of Loki yesterday. It was alright, though I could have used some more resolution. I was waiting for a very long post-credit scene to add more context.

Afterwards I watched the marvelous Tammy and the T-Rex (1994) film that someone spoke about on the previous thread. It was bonkers and the fact that they had both early career Paul Walker and early career Denise Richards was beautiful. The realization that both went on to become relatively important actors made this movie even more enjoyable than you would expect based on the banana humor :) 

16 hours ago, Ran said:

His very first film role, too. Terry’s as well, and Hopkins’s second after a small part in The White Bus a year earlier.

There’s an interview with Hepburn somwhere or other where she talked about Dalton as being a beautiful young man. Heh. TBH, he would have made a fine Renly.

So did Hopkins only start starring in films relatively late in his career? Because I did think Dalton was a fair bit younger :) And yes, he would have been a brilliant Renly, I agree.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

I'm glad someone still knows the classics ;) @Mindwalker this is a clip from one of the best episodes of TV  documentaries ever :D 

EDIT: fixed a mistake

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Afterwards I watched the marvelous Tammy and the T-Rex (1994) film that someone spoke about on the previous thread. It was bonkers and the fact that they had both early career Paul Walker and early career Denise Richards was beautiful. The realization that both went on to become relatively important actors made this movie even more enjoyable than you would expect based on the banana humor :) 

That would be me, and yes, the film is amazing trash.

So, in your opinion, did Richard's character fuck the animatronic T-Rex?

ETA: It also needs to be restated, this movie only exists because someone called the director and told him they would have access to said animatronic T-Rex for two weeks and they had a week to write the script. The actors were allowed to change all their lines which is why it doesn't always make a ton of sense.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That would be me, and yes, the film is amazing trash.

So, in your opinion, did Richard's character fuck the T-Rex?

Is it meaningful to have an opinion about facts? :P

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Is it meaningful to have an opinion about facts? :P

How does the T-Rex get into her bedroom? How does no one see the giant T-Rex walking around town? Why do the cops not care about a party full of teens that have been ripped to pieces? 

Quite enjoying the second season of the Spanish series, El Cid, on amazon prime.  But I am having period history contretemps here.  At one point King Sancho of Castile sends his man, the supposedly young* Ruy/Rodrigo of Vivar, to take an army to a city, whose ruler isn't paying the taxes owed to Castile's throne.  How in the world can a kid command an army, moreover one who has no title, not family relationship with anyone powerful,  who isn't even a knight (a great number of plot points are involved, blocking of Rodrigo from achieving the state of knighthood)?

Quality of horses: A+

Quality of mules: A+

Quality of swords and blades: A+

Quality of castles and cathedrals and stable and scenery: A+

* The actor cast for Rodrigo is much too old (though young) to be the young squire of the first season, and this one too.  Evidently they think casting him too old for the young Rodrigo is OK, since then he'll be appropriately aged in the long career of the man who becomes mío Cid de Vivar.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Quite enjoying the second season of the Spanish series, El Cid, on amazon prime.  But I am having period history contretemps here.  At one point King Sancho of Castile sends his man, the supposedly young* Ruy/Rodrigo of Vivar, to take an army to a city, whose ruler isn't paying the taxes owed to Castile's throne.  How in the world can a kid command an army, moreover one who has no title, not family relationship with anyone powerful,  who isn't even a knight (a great number of plot points are involved, blocking of Rodrigo from achieving the state of knighthood)?

Quality of horses: A+

Quality of mules: A+

Quality of swords and blades: A+

Quality of castles and cathedrals and stable and scenery: A+

* The actor cast for Rodrigo is much too old (though young) to be the young squire of the first season, and this one too.  Evidently they think casting him too old for the young Rodrigo is OK, since then he'll be appropriately aged in the long career of the man who becomes mío Cid de Vivar.

I haven't been able to start watching it yet, but I'm looking forward to. Glad that at least the production values have remained top notch. The show is apparently called "The Legend of El Cid". I don't know if they changed it, or I just didn't notice when season 1 was released.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Glad that at least the production values have remained top notch.

My other problem is the actor who plays Doña Ximena Díaz, and also the way her character is played. She doesn't seem to possess the fire and presence that I at least, always imagined Ximena must have, from the way she's described in the poetry.

Archived