Watch Watched Watching: The Rambunctious Cinema of Terrence Malick

polishgenius

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How does the T-Rex get into her bedroom? How does no one see the giant T-Rex walking around town? Why do the cops not care about a party full of teens that have been ripped to pieces? 

Both the film makers and the characters weren't very good at their jobs?

And I don't think the T-Rex got in her bedroom per se, but  

Spoiler

Throughout the film, you can clearly see that it's extremities have Reed Richards like expansion skills so I'm pretty sure only part of it went in there :P 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Both the film makers and the characters weren't very good at their jobs?

And I don't think the T-Rex got in her bedroom per se, but  

Hide contents

Throughout the film, you can clearly see that it's extremities have Reed Richards like expansion skills so I'm pretty sure only part of it went in there :P 

I don't think Tammy and the T-Rex needs spoiler tags. Yes, the T-Rex has extendo arms that are very nimble unlike actual T-Rex arms.

This is a movie, after all, that ends with Richards doing a striptease for Walker's brain in a fish bowl....

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think Tammy and the T-Rex needs spoiler tags. Yes, the T-Rex has extendo arms that are very nimble unlike actual T-Rex arms.

This is a movie, after all, that ends with Richards doing a striptease for Walker's brain in a fish bowl....

My favorite scene of the film without a doubt. .

And I don't know, I want to preserve the shock of the experience for anyone interested in checking it out ;)

EDIT: I'm actually surprised this film isn't talked about more. Everyone knows about The Room, Samurai Cop and Troll 2, but Tammy and the T-Rex surely deserves inclusion in that worthy company. It isn't as brilliant as The Room, but it can go toe to toe with all the other titles in my book.

42 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

My favorite scene of the film without a doubt. .

And I don't know, I want to preserve the shock of the experience for anyone interested in checking it out ;)

EDIT: I'm actually surprised this film isn't talked about more. Everyone knows about The Room, Samurai Cop and Troll 2, but Tammy and the T-Rex surely deserves inclusion in that worthy company. It isn't as brilliant as The Room, but it can go toe to toe with all the other titles in my book.

Tammy and the T-Rex is a lot better than those movies. Troll 2 doesn't even have actors in it. 

Started watching Guns Akimbo. Remember being mildly intrigued by the trailer a while ago and then heard nothing about it. Guess things didn’t go well because it’s now on streaming.

I think it is an aggressively bad movie though. One of those that feels like it’s trying to be cool and modern and about the ‘youth’ but is written by your dad.

Also feels like it’s directed by a teenager.

I can’t seem to find anything to watch. Finished Brave New World it was kinda meh, especially the last two episodes. 
And now for some inexplicable reason I started the latest season of the handmaid’s tale, which is an instant regret. To be honest, after hatewatching The Bold Type, I kinda don’t feel like wasting time another series I only watch so I can rant about it. I really want to find something enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I think I made it about 5 minutes into Guns Akimbo before I gave up,  and I feel like I have a very, very low bar for over the top action movies. 

I think I made it 20 mins in and it was super shit. Like properly bad. Embarrassing really.

Shame as I really like Radcliffe and thinks he’s done some ok stuff since Potter, but this was misjudged. Guess he saw the outline of the movie and agreed to do it. But it’s amateurish stuff. 

Turns out the director has really only ever done one other movie called Deathgasm :ack:.. and was a visual effects guy on Lord of the Rings. Explains a lot

Question for the well-informed.  That fire some, by now even many, years back that destroyed so much of the major studios' back catalog -- was by chance Lady Hawk caught in that destruction?  Is that the explanation for why we aren't seeing Lady Hawk streaming anywhere?

~~~~~~~~~~

By-the-by: Amazon Prime has the first two episodes of Domina up for no-fee watching.  Couldn't get through even the first episode. This is a pretend Roman period drama for the CW YA audience.  It's AWFUL because the dialog, the characters, everything, is preposterous. The production values are of the cheap too -- to put it mildly. Holy cow!

~~~~~~~~~~

By-the-second-by: (Eric) Rohmer Bros/Guys are a Thing. https://www.gq.com/story/meet-the-rohmer-guy

It has caught my notice then, that the Bergerac series (1981-1990), located on the Isle of Jersey, the male characters, in the first season, even John Nettles, dress Rohmer, particularly that very snug fit of the pants from crotch to waist.  Can you imagine, John Nettles in those pants?  That's how fit he was prior to Midsomer Murders.

Gunpowder Milkshake: Meh. Uneven. Great in parts. Not so in others. Felt like it was directed and edited by multiple people or a single person who couldn't make up their mind.

Death of Stalin: Gets better every time I see it. Brilliant movie.

Michael Clayton: I revisit this every once in a while. I don't know why. Great film. Great performances. One of the most chilling cold blooded murders I've seen in a film.

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Is that the explanation for why we aren't seeing Lady Hawk streaming anywhere?

Per justwatch.com, Ladyhawke is available for digital rental/purchase on Amazon, Apple TV, Google Play, Youtube, etc.

And in Sweden it's streaming on Disney+, apparently.

Just finished The Big Lebowski. I'm going to shock a lot of people, but this was actually my first experience with the Dude. I never really got around to it before, even though it has been on my watch list for years. I can definitely see why this film has so much cult appeal. It's very watchable, for lack of a better word and I really enjoyed the flow of the story. Great cast as well, with some very good dialogue. 

I'm not the biggest Coen brothers fan (I think the only film of theirs I have seen and unequivocally loved was the often overlooked Inside Llewyn Davis), so I was surprised that I enjoyed this so much. I can see myself rewatching this in years to come, which is not something I can say of many films.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Tammy and the T-Rex is a lot better than those movies. Troll 2 doesn't even have actors in it. 

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man :P I guess it depends on the way you look at it. All the other films I mentioned are terrible when compared to the standards of what most of us would consider a good film, but so is Tammy. 

You might give Tammy a slight edge because it has real actors in it and its technically a more competent film, but it has just as many plot holes, nonsensical dialogue, continuity errors and other hallmarks of truly bad film as the others.

What separates films like Tammy, Samurai Cop, etc. from other bad films is that they all manage to be hilarious in their stupidity. Stuff like Paul Walker eating the flower, the random T-Rex groping of Tammy and other scenes had me in stitches. They are like a separate category of anti-film which transcends the common standards and manage to be great despite their flaws.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Question for the well-informed.  That fire some, by now even many, years back that destroyed so much of the major studios' back catalog -- was by chance Lady Hawk caught in that destruction?  Is that the explanation for why we aren't seeing Lady Hawk streaming anywhere?

~~~~~~~~~~

By-the-by: Amazon Prime has the first two episodes of Domina up for no-fee watching.  Couldn't get through even the first episode. This is a pretend Roman period drama for the CW YA audience.  It's AWFUL because the dialog, the characters, everything, is preposterous. The production values are of the cheap too -- to put it mildly. Holy cow!

~~~~~~~~~~

By-the-second-by: (Eric) Rohmer Bros/Guys are a Thing. https://www.gq.com/story/meet-the-rohmer-guy

It has caught my notice then, that the Bergerac series (1981-1990), located on the Isle of Jersey, the male characters, in the first season, even John Nettles, dress Rohmer, particularly that very snug fit of the pants from crotch to waist.  Can you imagine, John Nettles in those pants?  That's how fit he was prior to Midsomer Murders.

Young me thought John Nettles was very hot as Bergerac (in an older man sort of way). I remember being quite disappointed when Midsomer Murders started and I realised he'd turned into a middle aged man in a well-padded suit.

LadyHawke - one of my favourite movies too.

14 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

Young me thought John Nettles was very hot as Bergerac (in an older man sort of way). I remember being quite disappointed when Midsomer Murders started and I realised he'd turned into a middle aged man in a well-padded suit.

LadyHawke - one of my favourite movies too.

Nettles is very good, as is the ensemble cast. The location and period make this series a most interesting watch, though I'm in the US and it's 40-some years later.  I really appreciate how neither the Bergerac character or the story lines are superficial -- otoh, I've only seen a few of the first season's episodes so far.  It was Nettles casting that brought me in.

I so enjoyed Midsomer Murders, for most of the series, as always dependable entertainment that could take me through whatever horrors I might be going through, though of course being in the US it only became available like so much prime quality Brit tv very late in my life via first, dvds, and then streaming.  I know what the problems are with MM.  And now it's not what it was, but what is?

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Nettles is very good, as is the ensemble cast. The location and period make this series a most interesting watch, though I'm in the US and it's 40-some years later.  I really appreciate how neither the Bergerac character or the story lines are superficial -- otoh, I've only seen a few of the first season's episodes so far.  It was Nettles casting that brought me in.

I so enjoyed Midsomer Murders, for most of the series, as always dependable entertainment that could take me through whatever horrors I might be going through, though of course being in the US it only became available like so much prime quality Brit tv very late in my life via first, dvds, and then streaming.  I know what the problems are with MM.  And now it's not what it was, but what is?

MM seems to be on permanent broadcast/repeat here in Australia, even for those who don't have streaming services. While it's been good to see more diverse guest casting, I agree that it seems to have lost a lot of spark and humour in recent years. I guess it's just gone on too long. It's probably considered Nana TV here, but I'm pretty much in that demographic now (great-aunt at least).

I grew up in an anglophile household and our national broadcaster had a lot of British shows (and still does). Now I've got Britbox and Acorn, I really enjoy the nostalgia of revisiting some of them. As you say, a good antidote to horrors around us and some personal bereavements last year.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@JEORDHl,

If I don't like this movie, it's your fault I just stubbed my toe and cracked my nail. Full stop. That said, The Winter Soldier is a go.

Jealously wishing I could watch it for the first time too. Enjoy.

I watched Pig with Nicholas Cage today and it was superb, really enjoyed it. Old man Cage without an excess of crazy, quite restrained. I joked about the trailer back in the trailer thread thinking it looked like 'John Wick, retired chef' but that's doing this movie a tremendous disservice. Alex Wolff is great and Adam Arkin excellent in their respective parts, but its Cage that carries the movie. Wonderfully shot with a pacing befitting its restraint, there are a couple scenes which I'm not ashamed to say bought a tear to my eye. If you're a foodie you'll relish this. If you're a chef you'll savour it.   

7 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Jealously wishing I could watch it for the first time too. Enjoy.

I thought it was pretty good. Cap just isn't one of my favorite characters, though Evans has come a long way since Not Another Teen Movie.

Archived