Watch Watched Watching: The Rambunctious Cinema of Terrence Malick

polishgenius

2 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Well guns aren't an issue. Not one gun was fired in the lost world.  Clearly public safety was meaningless when it was more important to get the t rex away and unharmed.

Seems odd that the cops wouldn't shoot at her, it's been too long since I've made it through that movie without wandering off before the ending. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

The jeep one doesn't bother me, didn't he leave the door open? You have to assume it was a different dilophosaurus though.

He left his door open. Why was the other door open, or did the dilophosaurus go in and turn around? Mind you they're bigger than the raptors and there's no way a raptor could have done that...

ETA: Dodgson! They've got Dodgson there!

I've always wanted to by that travel bag, but have yet to find it. 

15 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

Tammy and the T-Rex: Uncut is about to air on TMCw. If I hadn’t quit smoking recently I’d probably watch it. 

You watch that shit with pride!

Currently watching Raging Bull. I'm not entirely sure if I've ever watched this from start to finish in one sitting, but the film is amazing, though very bleak. 

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Blood Red Sky is entertaining, but it's a far cry from good.

I just watched that movie and would rank it that way as well.  The first half was really good.  The second half of the movie was a bit ridiculous and confusing for me.  

I only finished the movie because of the lead actor Peri Baumeister.  I read on imdb that she was in season 2 of The Last Kingdom.  Did she do good work in that role as well?

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Boy did I see a movie. I wish I had watched it in German, or in the blended English-German option, but I got the pure English version and the dubbing wasn't great. 

Blood Red Sky is entertaining, but it's a far cry from good. I one day hope to have the strength to have my hand cut off field medic style and five minutes later be ready to still be in charge and handling everything just fine. 

Yeah, the movie unfortunately fails in the final act, but it was pretty good up until shit hits the fan.

2 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I only finished the movie because of the lead actor Peri Baumeister.  I read on imdb that she was in season 2 of The Last Kingdom.  Did she do good work in that role as well?

In case you're familiar with the books, she played Gisela. Her role wasn't that big, but she did well.

I finally saw Godzilla v. Kong yesterday. I had only recently discovered Kong: Skull Island which was an absolute blast, so I was hoping to get another surprisingly good blockbuster out of this franchise. After all, if Disney - with the surprisingly excellent Cruella - is able to put together a live-action remake that is actually good, anything is possible. Unfortunately, it is more a film along the lines of the 2014 Godzilla than a Cruella or Kong: Skull Island delightful summer blockbuster surprise.

I can only say that it was a real letdown. In every way imaginable, this was a step down from Kong: Skull Island. There was almost zero humor, the VFX was somehow worse than Kong and the film was almost entirely lacking in directorial flair (no Tom Hiddleston cutting his way through a pack of flying lizards with a katana). Even the often praised arc with the little girl did nothing for me. Then there is the world-building that was just insanely stupid and left so many questions unanswered. I also didn't feel like the villains were very well thought through, in the sense that their plan didn't seem particularly villainous. 

The worst aspect of the film was definitely the subplot with Paper Boy, Deadpool 2 kid and that chick from Stranger Things. Every second of that was excruciating. Particularly the fact that the conspiracy theorist turned out to be right across the board was such a tone deaf move from the film makers side. In the age of anti-vaxxers and Trump shills  that is just plain irresponsible.

Next up I watched Blood Red Sky. I am surprised on the lackluster response here as I thought it was pretty good. Certainly not a master piece as there are to many logic fails, but it was still a fun ride. I think a lot of people were perhaps thrown off by the fact that it wasn't the vampire equivalent of Snakes on a Plane. It was a good action thriller. I liked the creature design, the acting was serviceable and they made some good use of the setting. I also really liked how bleak the film was willing to go. Definitely not something you'd see in a Hollywood film.

A list of some logic fails and/or inconsistencies like:

Spoiler

1. What was the plan of the villains?

2. Who is Dr. Brown and what is his plan?

3. What medicines did they give her to keep her vampirism under control.

4. Why were there three air marshals and a bullet proof car on board?

5. Why were the British troopers so  stupid? 

6. Why did Faruk not do anything useful between landing the plane and feeding all the SWAT team members to the vampires?

The biggest distraction for me was the structure of the film. I didn't mind it but I felt like they left some pretty substantial questions unanswered.

Spoiler

Where did the vampire curse come from? How did it function? How did they want to cure it? I'm not sure how any of it works and that's a major flaw in my book.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why are you surprised about the lackluster response when you also highlight that the film has so many problems? 

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, the bullet proof car, that alone is a "Dafuq" moment. 

Well, barring the mediocre use of the framing device none of the issues I described have major repercussions on the plot. They are bad enough to ensure that you can't see this as a great film but I did think this was a pretty good action horror film overall. I don't think it had more of these issues than the average film in this genre.

For some reason I keep comparing this movie to the Taken franchise (perhaps the euro influence?). It's not as bad as any of the Taken sequels but it's somewhat below the first Taken in quality due to the mediocre use of the framing device. If that one problem was fixed, I don't think any of the other smaller problems would register.

The sad thing is that most of the problems could probably be solved together

Spoiler

e.g. the criminals are there to kidnap someone high-profile who is traveling in that armored car (and because someone high-profile is there, there are three marshals on board). Heck, you could even link this to our vampire. Perhaps Brown arranged this transport and one of his competitors hired the goons to blow up the plane.

14 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Just finished up The Night Manager. Late to the party, but Loki left me wanting more T. Hidds. I thought it was well done and it's the first time I've enjoyed Tom Hollander. 

:agree:

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Well, barring the mediocre use of the framing device none of the issues I described have major repercussions on the plot. They are bad enough to ensure that you can't see this as a great film but I did think this was a pretty good action horror film overall. I don't think it had more of these issues than the average film in this genre.

For some reason I keep comparing this movie to the Taken franchise (perhaps the euro influence?). It's not as bad as any of the Taken sequels but it's somewhat below the first Taken in quality due to the mediocre use of the framing device. If that one problem was fixed, I don't think any of the other smaller problems would register.

The sad thing is that most of the problems could probably be solved together

Reveal hidden contents

e.g. the criminals are there to kidnap someone high-profile who is traveling in that armored car (and because someone high-profile is there, there are three marshals on board). Heck, you could even link this to our vampire. Perhaps Brown arranged this transport and one of his competitors hired the goons to blow up the plane.

Taken seems like a bit of an odd comparison tbh.

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Next up I watched Blood Red Sky. I am surprised on the lackluster response here as I thought it was pretty good. Certainly not a master piece as there are to many logic fails, but it was still a fun ride. I think a lot of people were perhaps thrown off by the fact that it wasn't the vampire equivalent of Snakes on a Plane. It was a good action thriller. I liked the creature design, the acting was serviceable and they made some good use of the setting. I also really liked how bleak the film was willing to go. Definitely not something you'd see in a Hollywood film.

A list of some logic fails and/or inconsistencies like:

Hide contents

1. What was the plan of the villains?

2. Who is Dr. Brown and what is his plan?

3. What medicines did they give her to keep her vampirism under control.

4. Why were there three air marshals and a bullet proof car on board?

5. Why were the British troopers so  stupid? 

6. Why did Faruk not do anything useful between landing the plane and feeding all the SWAT team members to the vampires?

The biggest distraction for me was the structure of the film. I didn't mind it but I felt like they left some pretty substantial questions unanswered.

Hide contents

Where did the vampire curse come from? How did it function? How did they want to cure it? I'm not sure how any of it works and that's a major flaw in my book.

Like I said in my previous post, the final act was weak, as for me it turned an interesting horror-thriller into a typical shlock horror-thriller with the requisite gore. And the writers slightly cornered themselves into that final act, because of a key plot device.

Spoiler

Vampiric transmittal. We see in the flashbacks that the protagonist becomes a vampire just because of a simple bite on her hand. Therefore, every time someone got bit on the plane, they were now becoming vampires. But unfortunately, they were inconsistent about time of transformation and difference between being transformed, and being just dead. Based on the little visuals clues throughout the movies, these vampires seemed to fall somewhere between 30 Days of Night and classical supernatural vampires, though much closer to the 30 days ones.

I don't think it's important what is the origin of the vampires. It's just a singular movie about a well known trope. This is even emphasized in the movie where characters automatically reach the conclusion that she is a vampire; unlike in other vampire movies where people don't know what they're faced with until they're told. I also don't think it's quite as important to know what drugs she was taking.

It's clear that there is a more SF element here about the vampires. Dr. Brown was going to give a her full bone marrow transplant, probably with the intent of completely changing her blood. Whether that would have worked or not we don't know. The movie chose to go bleak at the end, instead of hopeful.

Yeah, the bullet proof car was a crap device to use. And the guy not dying when burned inside it was also crap. At the very least his hair should have been ashes. What the hell? This leaves the end open, because who knows, maybe some vampires survived the explosion.

I have no idea how many air marshals a transatlantic flight has. Do you? The hijackers' plan was definitely convoluted and needed a bit more development. Crash the stock market to get rich, by creating a false flag terrorist attack? For a moment there, I was sure we were going into spy agency territory, but I guess not. I did appreciate the realism of the hijackers taking over the plane. With modern day security, it's much harder to achieve another 9/11, I should think, but not if you have one or two inside men.

I must say that this was the first frame story I've seen for a horror-thriller movie. Bold move, nearly paid off.

Well, that deteriorated quickly. The first season of The Good Fight was nice, but the second one is poorly written and goes completely off the rails after 5 episodes or so. And not in A Good Way.

Watched Mare of East town this weekend. I enjoyed it but it didn't grab me. I liked the two different story lines and how the told them. However

Spoiler

I didn't like the twist at all. I was perfectly fine with the dad/cousin/uncle fucker whatever he was, being the killer, that made more sense than tossing in an 11 year old out of no where. I mean unless I missed some clues somewhere this made as much sense as the guy getting locked up but we know the gun he had wasn't the murder weapon so ballistics don't matter I guess.

I watched an older movie, Layer Cake, sort of gangster movie with pretty decent case before they were stars. I liked this but don't have a desire to ever see it again.

Spoiler

I did  get a kick out of him getting killed at the end by the jealous wanna be lover.

Also watched a movie called Wander. Strange movie that makes you question what you are watching

Spoiler

Assumed that a couple characters were in his head and they weren't. Of course I was only half paying attention to this as I was getting bored and looking at phone during most of the movie.

Archived