Watch Watched Watching: The Rambunctious Cinema of Terrence Malick

polishgenius

I mean pretty much every ‘best animated shows of all time’ lists I’ve seen have listed Batman TAS as the absolute top show ever. Think that might have changed in recent years because there have been some really strong shows released but most list still have it top 5… and Xmen isn’t there at all.

Anyway, I get maybe you were too young at the time to appreciate it, but that doesn’t excuse your extreme wrongness here 

12 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

85 episodes. And it was continued in The New Batman Adventures (24 episodes) and then Batman Beyond (52 episodes) and 5 films. and a daytime Emmy. It also tied into JL and JLU. Also every nerd in this solar system knows who Kevin Conroy is. I can't remember who played Jubilee.

Yeah i think it’s still the best iteration of Batman going and I include the Nolan movies there. Conroy is how I imagine Batman, and it’s pretty much gone on to influence all DC animation ever since. 

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I mean pretty much every ‘best animated shows of all time’ lists I’ve seen have listed Batman TAS as the absolute top show ever. Think that might have changed in recent years because there have been some really strong shows released but most list still have it top 5… and Xmen isn’t there at all.

Anyway, I get maybe you were too young at the time to appreciate it, but that doesn’t excuse your extreme wrongness here 

LOL, Simpsons or South Park are the greatest animated shows of all time, depending on your tastes or I suppose age.  Full stop.  I'd argue a lot of other comedy animation series come after that - Rick and Morty, Archer, even MacFarlane's, whatever.  I don't really care if IGN and whatnot want to overrate it to appease their fanbase, it's ridiculous.

If you want to say it's the best animated superhero series, well, like I said, I don't have much of a frame of reference.  All I can tell you is prepubescent me thought it was kinda stupid.  I don't know what that says about everybody else, but there it is.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL, Simpsons or South Park are the greatest animated shows of all time, depending on your tastes or I suppose age.  Full stop.  I'd argue a lot of other comedy animation series come after that - Rick and Morty, Archer, even MacFarlane's, whatever.  I don't really care if IGN and whatnot want to overrate it to appease their fanbase, it's ridiculous.

If you want to say it's the best animated superhero series, well, like I said, I don't have much of a frame of reference.  All I can tell you is prepubescent me thought it was kinda stupid.  I don't know what that says about everybody else, but there it is.

Well good for you for having different opinions.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Well good for you for having different opinions.

Asserting either Simpsons or South Park are the greatest animated shows ever is decidedly not a "different" opinion.  Outside of this thread at least.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Asserting either Simpsons or South Park are the greatest animated shows ever is decidedly not a "different" opinion.  Outside of this thread at least.

Fine. Batman TAS is still incredibly highly rated by most people… you didn’t like it, you are wrong. That’s ok. It’s ok to be wrong m.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Fine. Batman TAS is still incredibly highly rated by most people… you didn’t like it, you are wrong. That’s ok. It’s ok to be wrong m.

...Seems like you're much more interested in telling me I'm wrong than actually having a discussion.  I actually never said I didn't like the Batman cartoon.  I just said I liked the Xmen cartoon more.  You're the one that seems to be obsessed with me being "wrong" about that, somehow.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

The Simpsons at its best (seasons 3-8) is still the GOAT. 

I'd extend that to season 10, but to each their own.

Also, when discussing the best animated show, it's probably wise to say the best English language animated series. Anime fans may place a number of cartoons ahead of the ones that are popular in the West.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, when discussing the best animated show, it's probably wise to say the best English language animated series. Anime fans may place a number of cartoons ahead of the ones that are popular in the West.

To me the golden age starts at s2. On a rewatch, I was shocked how good s2 is. Expect the episode Dancing Homer.

But s9 is too inconsistent to be part of the golden years. The principle and the pauper, and lost our Lisa are two of the worst which clash heavily with incredible episodes like the joy of sect and city of New York vs homer Simpson. And s10 created the jerkass homer who gets new jobs repeatedly and acts like a little child too much. There are greats like the Japan one but there's far too much average to just plain bad.

So s2 to s8 are the best it would ever be. Yeah s8 has moments that represent how bad the show would soon become eg the phony kidnapping turning homer into an ott action hero, but the showrunners even admitted they had to try new things and thought the show would end soon so its not surprising that it would feel different with making meta episodes like the poochy one being about the show in real life, or homers enemy being about putting someone from the real world into Springfield and hating it so much he would kill himself.

Overall though s8 is still damn good. Shame that what came after would get it so wrong.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Simpsons starts to get patchy around the 8-9 mark and by ten I think there are some actually ‘duff’ episodes, but also some of my favourites.

Its pretty hard to compare western shows to anime. I find anime to be working from a completely different rule book mostly and it can be a very frustrating watch. I can count on one hand the ones I’ve sort of enjoyed and the rest I’ve found to be incomprehensible nonsense.

Batman TAS is rated very highly on imdb so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately I couldn't get into it. I lasted 10 episodes and honestly couldn't see how it differentiated itself from other animated kids' shows.

For me the top animated show is Avatar: The Last Airbender. If we're including anime, Cowboy Bebop and The Legend of the Galactic Heroes are up there.

I like the old school stuff, what can I say.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Can't believe there's any discussion about the best animated show

Duggee is fucking amazing. Didn’t rate it when I stuck it in front of my little one but you quickly realise how genius it is 

Stick stick stick..

On top of that, if the BBC do one thing well it’s kids tv. Comparing it to basically any other output for toddlers especially and they just seem to understand how to talk to young people. Teletubbies obviously exploded but things like In the Night Garden are borderline insane but absolutely work for a tiny young mind. 

There’s even stuff for older kids like Horrible Histories that was taken really seriously by putting top class comedic talent in charge, who have now all gone on to bigger things. 

1 hour ago, Ghostlydragon said:

To me the golden age starts at s2. On a rewatch, I was shocked how good s2 is. Expect the episode Dancing Homer.

But s9 is too inconsistent to be part of the golden years. The principle and the pauper, and lost our Lisa are two of the worst which clash heavily with incredible episodes like the joy of sect and city of New York vs homer Simpson. And s10 created the jerkass homer who gets new jobs repeatedly and acts like a little child too much. There are greats like the Japan one but there's far too much average to just plain bad.

So s2 to s8 are the best it would ever be. Yeah s8 has moments that represent how bad the show would soon become eg the phony kidnapping turning homer into an ott action hero, but the showrunners even admitted they had to try new things and thought the show would end soon so its not surprising that it would feel different with making meta episodes like the poochy one being about the show in real life, or homers enemy being about putting someone from the real world into Springfield and hating it so much he would kill himself.

Overall though s8 is still damn good. Shame that what came after would get it so wrong.

55 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Simpsons starts to get patchy around the 8-9 mark and by ten I think there are some actually ‘duff’ episodes, but also some of my favourites.

Its pretty hard to compare western shows to anime. I find anime to be working from a completely different rule book mostly and it can be a very frustrating watch. I can count on one hand the ones I’ve sort of enjoyed and the rest I’ve found to be incomprehensible nonsense.

I think the core of the golden age of the Simpsons is seasons 4-8, and then it's up to the individual how much they want to include from the first ten seasons overall. And there's still some good stuff in the few seasons after 10, but the drop off becomes really obvious after that and there's little worth revisiting.

While I was furloughed last summer I decided to binge every Treehouse of Horrors episode and they were dreadful once you got past season 20 or so, but I'll still watch each new one that comes out. 

Also, while discussing the best animated shows of all time, Futurama absolutely needs to have a seat at the table, with possibly the best single episode ever in Jurassic Bark.

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the core of the golden age of the Simpsons is seasons 4-8, and then it's up to the individual how much they want to include from the first ten seasons overall. And there's still some good stuff in the few seasons after 10, but the drop off becomes really obvious after that and there's little worth revisiting.

While I was furloughed last summer I decided to binge every Treehouse of Horrors episode and they were dreadful once you got past season 20 or so, but I'll still watch each new one that comes out. 

Also, while discussing the best animated shows of all time, Futurama absolutely needs to have a seat at the table, with possibly the best single episode ever in Jurassic Bark.

Absolutely. What an ending. Same as the endings in luck of the fryrish and game of tones.

Its amazing how perfect futurama is right from the start. Its full of sad moments like fry realising he will never see his family again as well as hilarious moments like fry thinking a suicide booth is a payphone. And all the mad ideas feel like that will be real in 1000 years time.

Yeah Futurama may be the sweetest cartoon ever.  Jurassic Bark is just all kinds of :crying:, and the "original" series finale with the holophoner....I'm a little verklempt already.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah Futurama may be the sweetest cartoon ever.  Jurassic Bark is just all kinds of :crying:, and the "original" series finale with the holophoner....I'm a little verklempt already.

I don't like retcons, but the one from the first movie establishing that a version of Fry did make it back to Seymore is one I approve of.

That episode also has one of my favorite jokes

"I like you Seymore, you're not constantly judging me, Like all the other dogs.

....are you?"

Archived