Young Rhaenyra and Alicent Cast

Westeros

HBO has confirmed two new names of actresses cast in the in-production House of the Dragon, and these are particularly interesting as they reveal that flashbacks will be used to convey part of the background to the events of the Dance of the Dragons. Per Hollywood Reporter, Milly Alcock and Emily Carey are part of the cast of the production. Alcock will be playing a young Rhaenyra Targaryen while Carey will play a young Alicent Hightower.

Click for full-sized image

View the full article

Yeah I made a big post about this a a full month ago:

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/158939-hbo-announces-production-begins-on-house-of-the-dragon/page/11/&tab=comments#comment-8689423

The cast is pretty open about who they're following on Instagram, and these ones were openly taking photos with Fabien Frankel (Criston Cole). But this is how we first found out Graham McTavish had joined the cast (we saw Fabien Frankel following him, then realized Graham took his mask off in a spy photo).

Repost of my speculation list on who might have joined the cast based on their Instagram follows:

• Milly Alcock - Australian actress followed by Ty Tennant, Fabien Frankel, AND director Clare Kilner.  Age 20. Now confirmed as Young Rhaenyra.
  • Emily Carey - Followed by Ty Tennant, Milly Alcock, AND Clare Kilner, and she follows Ty, Fabien, and Olivia Cooke. Age 18. Played 12 year old Diana in "Wonder Woman".  Confirmed as Young Alicent.
  • Anaïs Gallagher - Followed by Olivia Cooke, Fabien Frankel, and Milly Alcock. Age 21. Appears in party photos with Fabien and Milly. NOT a career actor, might just be a friend.
  • Ty Tennant - son of David Tenant. actually made an instagram post saying he was working on "House" with a dragon emoji, but then deleted it when fans took notice. Possibly Aegon II, based on his age?
  • Nenda Neururer - followed by Emma D'Arcy, and started following several HotD fan accounts on Instagram, even relatively obscure ones. Possibly Laena Velaryon? She's half-black and half white (her father is German). STRONGLY resembles one of the masked women we saw at the Cornwall shoot.
  • Millie Brady - follows Paddy Considine, and Fabien Frankel recently started following her. Plays Aethelflaed of Mercia on The Last Kingdom. Was going to start in that "Clan of the Cave Bear" reboot but the pilot got canceled. Possibly playing Jeyne Arryn, based on her age? (27, loosely the same as Rhaenyra's actor)

At the HBO industry event 2 weeks ago, many reporters tweeted that they saw the trailers for HOTD and the 3rd season of Succession, the Succession trailer dropped today. I predict we'll get the teaser for HOTD at SDCC.

Ooh this changes some things. I had wondered how they were going to cram so much into the first season, but now it looks like maybe they’ll start well into Rhaenyra’s adulthood and do flashbacks to explain much of the story—which would be a huge departure from GOT’s format. I’m wondering if Criston Cole will already be Rhaenyra’s enemy when the show starts, and the flashbacks will show her rejection of him. 

9 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Ooh this changes some things. I had wondered how they were going to cram so much into the first season, but now it looks like maybe they’ll start well into Rhaenyra’s adulthood and do flashbacks to explain much of the story—which would be a huge departure from GOT’s format. I’m wondering if Criston Cole will already be Rhaenyra’s enemy when the show starts, and the flashbacks will show her rejection of him. 

My question is "how substantial are the flashbacks going to be?" I doubt they'd announce this as major casting if they intend for them to only show up for a two-minute half-arsed scene. I'm interested in how much there is in store for these two.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 11:55 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

New theory: when we meet Season 1 Rhaenyra, she’s in a loveless marriage with Laenor, and Harwin is her sworn shield/lover (I’m still holding out hope that they cast him, since there were pictures of a little boy with brown hair on the Driftmark funeral set). Criston despises her, and we learn through flashbacks that they had a fling when she was younger, which ended badly when Rhaenyra refused to give up her claim to be with him. 

I have a feeling that Otto is going to more or less pimp young Alicent out in order to beguile Viserys. It is going to be pretty weird if they show an actual teenager seduce a middle-aged man though. . . 

As things stand now, it is pretty likely the show covers at least two time periods. It could be the adult timeline starts very shortly before the Dance, or kind of in the middle - in 120 AC, say - and as the things deteriorate between the two factions we get long flashbacks that depict the backstories of the various characters.

It could also be flashbacks from an earlier point in time - say, the tourney of 111 AC, or 113 AC, when Rhaenyra marries Laenor.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:48 AM, Lord Varys said:

As things stand now, it is pretty likely the show covers at least two time periods. It could be the adult timeline starts very shortly before the Dance, or kind of in the middle - in 120 AC, say - and as the things deteriorate between the two factions we get long flashbacks that depict the backstories of the various characters.

It could also be flashbacks from an earlier point in time - say, the tourney of 111 AC, or 113 AC, when Rhaenyra marries Laenor.

If you were to guess, which of the minor characters are cut and which ones would have expanded roles?

2 hours ago, Sotan said:

If you were to guess, which of the minor characters are cut and which ones would have expanded roles?

That is very difficult to say.

At that point, I don't expect Mushroom and Eustace to play big roles, and it seems clear that Mysaria, Princess Rhaenys, and Ser Harrold Westerling play bigger roles in the show they did play in book.

But since most of the crucial Dance players only become prominent during the Dance - especially the youngsters - it is pretty hard to guess who is going to be cut.

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That is very difficult to say.

At that point, I don't expect Mushroom and Eustace to play big roles, and it seems clear that Mysaria, Princess Rhaenys, and Ser Harrold Westerling play bigger roles in the show they did play in book.

But since most of the crucial Dance players only become prominent during the Dance - especially the youngsters - it is pretty hard to guess who is going to be cut.

That's a good guess. I have no clue, I really thought they would cut one of the dragon twins-probably Rhaena, and it looks like they both might be in it, if set photos are to be believed.  And I completely forgot about Mysaria and Princess Rhaenys, mostly because we haven't seen any images of them in costume, official or otherwise. Rhaenys' role being expanded I understand, she's a bad ass, but Mysaria I'm kind of surprised. 

• 2 weeks later...

La Garde de Nuit noticed this: a UK acting agency let it slip that David Horovitch has joined the cast:

https://twitter.com/gardedenuit/status/1424642527878123520

He's a veteran Shakespearan actor, frequently headlining plays like King Lear and Prospero in the Tempest. An elderly man, 75 years old. I wonder who he could be playing?

He has sort of a Lyman Beesbury vibe to him.

https://winteriscoming.net/2021/08/11/david-horovitch-joins-cast-game-of-thrones-prequel-house-of-the-dragon/

Archived