Semifinal: Italy vs Spain

2 hours ago, mormont said:

It’s a semi final and they’re rarely classics of free flowing football, but I’m excited just the same!

I was wrong but also very right!

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

This sucks. But maybe we’ll get attacking Italy back? 

Likely. I don't think either England's nor Denmark's midfield will be able to starve the Italian midfield of possession the way Spain did.

4 minutes ago, Leap said:

Hopeful that, should England beat Denmark tomorrow (big if) we may have a chance with some of these holes the Italy squad are starting to show but Spain just weren't quite able to exploit. 

There's absolutely no chance England (or Denmark) will be dominating the midfield against Italy the way Spain did.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

There's absolutely no chance England (or Denmark) will be dominating the midfield against Italy the way Spain did.

No, but England don't need to to win. Which isn't to say I'd expect England to win, but they have a much better forward line than Spain and importantly one that is better at forcing open gaps via dribbling in tight spaces. Also at finishing. 

Not as confident this team is going to beat England in the final, if it comes to that. Yeah, they won’t harry them like Spain did but they have a good defence too and potentially better strikers.

The irony of a Brazilian winning it for Italy at penalty kicks. 

Morata should be banned from taking penalties. Spain apparently didn't do much penalty prep, and it showed now and against the Swiss. 

Spain dominated, but their creativity largely suffered when they closed in on the Italian box, except for Morata's goal. One positive for Spain is their physical conditioning - 3 matches in a row to extra time, and only in the last 10 minutes of this game they showed tiredness. They were overall more energetic. Italy struggled mightily, but that counterattack where Chiesa scored was one of the best of the tournament. I would say Spinazzola was definitely missed to give Italy a more incisive attack, but Emerson played well.

Loved Chiellini's attitude. I think this tournament may be it for him, and he's enjoying every moment.

Archived