Semifinal: England v Denmark

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Honestly does it even matter? I realty don’t care. I can’t count the amount of times it’s happened against us down the years, one of my earliest memories was the ‘hand of god’ goal. 

The most egregious being us scoring against Germany and it very clearly being a goal and it not being awarded because the keeper was quick-thinking enough to boot it out and claim it didn't go in, despite very clear video evidence to the contrary. That was one of the cases cited to bring VAR in in the first place.

The final should be interesting but could turn into a clusterfuck, with both teams being a bit willing to throw themselves about if a gnat passes by.

26 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The most egregious being us scoring against Germany and it very clearly being a goal and it not being awarded because the keeper was quick-thinking enough to boot it out and claim it didn't go in, despite very clear video evidence to the contrary. That was one of the cases cited to bring VAR in in the first place.

The final should be interesting but could turn into a clusterfuck, with both teams being a bit willing to throw themselves about if a gnat passes by.

In fairness to the German keeper on that occasion, the spin of the ball brought it back out after it bounced, and he caught it and carried on. He may even have not realised it had gone over the line.

With regard to the stuff about tackles in the box further up the page- Defenders have always had to tread carefully in the box, that's nothing new. Players like Sterling and Grealish are just a nightmare to deal with in those situations.

4 hours ago, mormont said:

... then what you're really saying is that defenders should not even attempt to get to a ball in the box...

I don't want my defenders making a challenge in the box if they're not going to get the ball.

Didn’t know Piers Morgan was the editor of the National now 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Oh Gareth. Yes, it's definitely England that is the nation with a history of being invasion victims. 

Yes we are actually. It’s just we’ve tended to win for the past few centuries ( if you don’t think about the Germans and Dutch we invite to be our rulers)

I just found out that if England wins they also get the unofficial champion of the world title dating back to when England first beat Scotland and passing down over the many years since. Italy are the current holders.

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Oh Gareth. Yes, it's definitely England that is the nation with a history of being invasion victims. 

We will fight them on the bleachers... on the pitch... on the sidelines. We shall never surrender!!!

5 minutes ago, Leap said:

I mean, he's not wrong to draw a link for the Germany match, people do chant "two world wars one world cup" a fair bit after all. But I do think the line "People have tried to invade us and we’ve had the courage to hold that back" is a bit daft. This is the Euros. Every eligible team has been invaded/invading fairly often for millennia now. 

Its not a comment I would have expected from him, but I guess the fear of being invaded thing is part of British history and mythos.. not sure its something Southgate really needs to tap into though.

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

We will fight them on the bleachers... on the pitch... on the sidelines. We shall never surrender!!!

Now playing in India, Pakistan, the African continent, North America, with cameo in China. I could also add Australia and New Zealand to that list, but since nobody cares about those places, why should I? :leaving:

The football pitch on which the sun never sets.

Archived