LØkI - see ya later, LØkIgator (Spoilers)

Kalbear

9 hours ago, Week said:

Ok ... ?? Weird opinion to read into and get upset about - though what else is the point.

The point is that not everybody likes that TH Loki is not the main character and has been made to look weaker than the new character as well as having his personality reduced to being the nice guy pretty much in 2 episodes. Just watch Avengers 1 or even his later films. This Loki is not the same guy in any way.

And the other problem is that this treatment has a very strong chance of carrying into She Hulk and Hawkeye.

19 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

The point is that not everybody likes that TH Loki is not the main character and has been made to look weaker than the new character as well as having his personality reduced to being the nice guy pretty much in 2 episodes. Just watch Avengers 1 or even his later films. This Loki is not the same guy in any way.

And the other problem is that this treatment has a very strong chance of carrying into She Hulk and Hawkeye.

I don’t think it’s really been a problem in Loki to be honest, and I’m generally sensitive to that sort of thing. When they introduced a female Loki and made her a baddass Ninja Loki I did think ‘oh here we go!’ 

But Loki through most of his appearances in the movies always appears to have a softer side and his villainy is mostly motivated by weakness. 

I don’t really have an issue with him doing a bit of soul searching during the show, it’s been quite fun and he’s such a great character, giving him more depth isn’t a problem 

Interesting that the Ravonna scene was 2018.  If we assume that's when she was pruned/whatever, that's the same year in the MCU timeline (and, well, our timeline) as Infinity War - and thus the same year Loki dies.  Hmm..

I would have liked the episode to have some type of resolution, or at least make some semblance of sense.  Like, if Jonathan Majors "weaponized" Alioth to defeat the multiverse versions of himself, and Alioth - as we've seen with Old Loki and been told - devours the variants from branch realities...then why should we be worried about other Jonathan Majors'?  Seems as if we're stacking more bullshit on top of bullshit.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

No end credits scene?  What is this?!?

There was an end credits scene. Kind of.

Spoiler

They stamp Loki's case file with "LOKI WILL RETURN IN SEASON 2".

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Interesting that the Ravonna scene was 2018.  If we assume that's when she was pruned/whatever, that's the same year in the MCU timeline (and, well, our timeline) as Infinity War - and thus the same year Loki dies.  Hmm..

I would have liked the episode to have some type of resolution, or at least make some semblance of sense.  Like, if Jonathan Majors "weaponized" Alioth to defeat the multiverse versions of himself, and Alioth - as we've seen with Old Loki and been told - devours the variants from branch realities...then why should we be worried about other Jonathan Majors'?  Seems as if we're stacking more bullshit on top of bullshit.

He defeated the other versions of himself in the comicbook way. They lived to fight another day. Hence why he isolated and hid the main MCU universe to protect it from the other universes.  Now that he is dead and the sacred timeline is branching out, it will expose the main MCU universe to the dangers of the other Kangs and the MultiVerse in general.

His own words were, 'all I had to do was manage the flow of time and prevent any further branches.'

Interesting finale. 

Spoiler

To basically have 50% of the episode be a monologue by one character is pretty ballsy, or dumb, or lazy, but luckily the performance was so entertaining, it worked. 

I don't actually know if I want more seasons, I would have preferred it to just end there really. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

There was an end credits scene. Kind of.

Reveal hidden contents

They stamp Loki's case file with "LOKI WILL RETURN IN SEASON 2".

Yeah saw that.  Definitely doesn't count as a scene.

48 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:
Spoiler

He defeated the other versions of himself in the comicbook way. They lived to fight another day. Hence why he isolated and hid the main MCU universe to protect it from the other universes.  Now that he is dead and the sacred timeline is branching out, it will expose the main MCU universe to the dangers of the other Kangs and the MultiVerse in general.

His own words were, 'all I had to do was manage the flow of time and prevent any further branches.'

Spoiler

His own words were also that Alioth was "capable of consuming space and time itself."  And that he "ended the multiversal war."  If his other versions are just out there in their own versions of the universe, then he didn't end shit and "weaponizing" Alioth did not apparently do anything.  I suppose you could rationalize it that Alioth acted as a deterrent, but (1) wouldn't it/he still? and (2) the show should make this clear and follow its own internal logic.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah saw that.  Definitely doesn't count as a scene.

Hide contents

His own words were also that Alioth was "capable of consuming space and time itself."  And that he "ended the multiversal war."  If his other versions are just out there in their own versions of the universe, then he didn't end shit and "weaponizing" Alioth did not apparently do anything.  I suppose you could rationalize it that Alioth acted as a deterrent, but (1) wouldn't it/he still? and (2) the show should make this clear and follow its own internal logic.

Yes, Alioth is a nuke but with our kang's death can't be weaponised by anyone else (yet). He ended the multiversal war as much as a ceasefire/cold War is ending active war. The threat is now the other evil kangs who've been waiting for this chance to find and attack our universe with our kang dead.

ETA: I'd wager while our kang hid the main MCU universe, the multiversal war continued and the true *kang the conqueror defeated his other versions and rules the multiverse minus the MCU universe. He will be the next thanos level threat to our heroes. 

16 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:
  Hide contents

Yes, Alioth is a nuke but with our kang's death can't be weaponised by anyone else (yet). He ended the multiversal war as much as a ceasefire/cold War is ending active war. The threat is now the other evil kangs who've been waiting for this chance to find and attack our universe with our kang dead.

ETA: I'd wager while our kang hid the main MCU universe, the multiversal war continued and the true *kang the conqueror defeated his other versions and rules the multiverse minus the MCU universe. He will be the next thanos level threat to our heroes. 

Yeah, again, if that's the case the show should make it clear, not speculatively pulled together by people on the internet.  Especially in an episode that is, like, 90% exposition.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Was that “Kang”?  I never thought Kang would be that… jovial.

That was "a" Kang.  Other versions that we're likely to see going forward may be of different dispositions.

Honestly, I'm just happy that a character teased on a Marvel show actually did appear in the end, even if they never mention him by his proper name.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well, it's a version of Kang.  As he warns though, probably safe to say his other version/s we'll be meeting are much worse.

Looks like Jaxom was right and it was more Immortus than Kang? That's one way to introduce your next major villain!

Definitely my favorite of the three shows so far. My one complaints is that they could have done more with the idea of variants of MCU characters. Specifically in the "void" episode. The only one we got was Throgg. I understand wanting to keep the focus on Loki and I wouldn't have taken away a minute of Old Loki's screen-time but it would have been neat if Loki had to team up with like a Monica Rambeau who took that test  flight instead of carol. and maybe a happy, well-adjusted Nebula who never met Thanos. Evangeline Lilly as Ant-Woman. Or a version of Batroc who contracted leprosy. 

I don't really buy the "Because Lokis survive" explanation for why the place all variants are sent was 99% Lokis.

Maybe in season two. Otherwise there's What If to scratch that itch I guess. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In the more recent variations of the comics, some versions of Kang have become quite the characters. Very funny.

It was a good if brief season, and it’s literally opened wide the MCU ballgame. Looking forward to S2.

The execs at DC/WB whatever must be incandescently flummoxed and how effectively Marvel has instituted the live action cockblock. They’ve been beaten at every single turn. It’s amazing.

There's a lot of theorising that the upcoming What If...? show, which I think is the next MCU show (Hawkeye doesn't land until the winter, IIRC), isn't actually a purely theoretical elseworlds scenario, but is an actual peek at the other universes and the variants who exist there.

I’d hope that Marvel takes the same level of risk and creativity with its next movies, so far I don’t feel there’s much hope of that 

Eternals is something of a high concept and Dr. Strange 2 and Ant-Man 3 look like they're directly following up on these series, so they look promising at least. Shang-Chi bringing in the real Mandarin could set up a lot of craziness as well.

Archived