Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

4 hours ago, baxus said:

Didn't Liverpool bring in a coach to improve their throw-ins a couple of seasons ago? I think it was some Danish guy who also works with some Danish club(s).

He is working across the continent I think. So he is also working for one Bundesliga club (Leipzig or Hoffenheim IIRC). He just doesn't work for more than one club per league I think.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

It seems to me that these American owned clubs are maybe looking at American football where there is a coach for just about everything.

Not really. Quite a few clubs have set piece coaches now, or coaches who are primarily responsible for that. E.g. one of our former players (Florian Bruns) is now an assistant at Freiburg and he's responsible for their set pieces. He has an excellent reputation, and Gladbach considered poaching him a few years ago. And Freiburg is pretty far from an American owner model.

Going back to the Liverpool throw in coach. The coaching staff is pretty much the choice of the headcoach/manager. So Klopp brought him in (after reading about im somewhere I think). Generally speaking the trend for ever more profesionalized (and thus specialized) training and recovery has been going on for a while. Remember that one of Klopp's first orders of business was bringing in a nutrionist. Mona Nemmer, whom he poached from Bayern, in 2016. I am surprised she hasn't published a cooking book. As that would probably sell quite well.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Remember that one of Klopp's first orders of business was bringing in a nutrionist. Mona Nemmer, whom he poached from Bayern, in 2016. I am surprised she hasn't published a cooking book. As that would probably sell quite well.

I may be woefully out of touch, but I'm really struggling with the concept of healthy German cuisine, much as I love it!

It's looking less likely that Saul will join Liverpool. Reports picking up in Spain that Barca and Atleti are in talks for a swap deal involving Griezmann and Saul. Apparently talks are advanced and Saul would prefer to remain in Spain as would Griezmann.

19 hours ago, Hereward said:

I may be woefully out of touch, but I'm really struggling with the concept of healthy German cuisine, much as I love it!

Couldn't be worse than bangers. Those things caught him by surprise by his own account. When he first saw those as a meal option at the training ground his reaction was: Ok, I am not an expert, but that can't be the right choice of food for professional athletes.

Anyway, like I said, I think her trying to sell a cookbook under the title A Meal for Champions - a collection of healthy and tasty dishes from Anfield. (or something similar along those lines) could sell quite well.

Anyway, moving on from the value of healthy diet and where to place bangers in the food pyramid.

Back to racism in football.

A former youth coach from Bayern has been suspended by the German FA for 18 months for  racist conduct.

Back story.

Back in August a TV segment at one of the public tv stations brought to light accusation of racism of a member at Bayern's academy. He was basically racially abusing kids. Shortly after that chat logs appared in which the person in question inserted himself into the discussion of the signing of players with racist slurs. Then Bayern Boss Rummenigge announced the launch of an internal investigation and consequences. The police also felt compelled to start an investigation.

Bayern dismissed the coach in question and announced further changes on a structural and on a personnel level. Oh, right the age level was the u9 to u15.

The junior coach at first tried to sue Bayern over his dismissal, but he withdrew the case in January.

I think he was also linked to similar position at Nürnberg, but they decided against the hiring after a public outcry and a backlash from part of their fan scene. That guy was (and hopefully still is) basically way too toxic for any professional club to hire.

The latest chapter is now the 18 month suspension. He has accepted the suspension, which runs out in January 2023. My cynical guess is, he hopes that things will have cooled down and forgotten by then.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It's looking less likely that Saul will join Liverpool. Reports picking up in Spain that Barca and Atleti are in talks for a swap deal involving Griezmann and Saul. Apparently talks are advanced and Saul would prefer to remain in Spain as would Griezmann.

Too funny that Griezmann joined Atleti after they won the league in 13/14 then joined Barca only to not win the league while Atleti won it again :D . 

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

He doesn't want to go to another club?

More likely every club not named PSG or Man City is on the verge of being broke, and neither of them wanted to pony up the money to get Messi, so he was kind of stuck taking a below market contract with Barca. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

More likely every club not named PSG or Man City is on the verge of being broke, and neither of them wanted to pony up the money to get Messi, so he was kind of stuck taking a below market contract with Barca. 

Not true tho. PSG approached him.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

He did last year, and they are in a worse place this year. 

Last year Bartomeu was still there to run the club into ground. I am inclined to believe Messi, that Barca is his club, and that his push for a move was to no small part down to his frustration/desperation over Bartomeu's handling of the club. And half his wage is still very well paid. Now Laporta is back and apparently he was able to soothe his anger. Make no mistake, if Bartomeu hadn't been forced out, Messi most certainly would have left.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not true tho. PSG approached him.

Last year Bartomeu was still there to run the club into ground. I am inclined to believe Messi, that Barca is his club, and that his push for a move was to no small part down to his frustration/desperation over Bartomeu's handling of the club. And half his wage is still very well paid. Now Laporta is back and apparently he was able to soothe his anger. Make no mistake, if Bartomeu hadn't been forced out, Messi most certainly would have left.

That's true.

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Why would Messi stay at Barca on half the money knowing they have to get rid of almost everybody to balance the books? 

I don't think it's likely that Messi did it out of the kindness of his heart. Barca most likely gave some other stuff up to compensate for lower salary.

Archived