Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I don't think it's likely that Messi did it out of the kindness of his heart. Barca most likely gave some other stuff up to compensate for lower salary.

He took a 50% pay cut but in exchange for a longer contract - recent reports say that his contract will be for 5 years.

Will he stay at Barca for the full five years, tho?

I don't mean that as in throwing a tantrum and forcing a move next year, more like as in: I thought his career plan involved ending his active career in Argentina. I think it's unlikely that he will leave Barca/Europe before the next World Cup. After that he might very well spend his final years in Argentina with an optional stop over in the MLS.

I don't know if this would work in football, but NHL teams used to do something similar with players well over 30. They'd sign the contract for something like 11 years even though no one really expected him to play throughout the contract. After a while, the player would no longer be in the roster but would still get paid. It would ensure that the players deserved salary would not count towards the cap throughout all those seasons and even during seasons it would count it would be less than it would otherwise be. Also, players would ensure some income even after practically retiring.

Chelsea reportedly offering Tammy Abraham and CHO as part of the deal for Haaland, rejected from what I read. I'm biased here, but from Dortmund's perspective, I can see that being a lucrative deal. Tammy and CHO are 23 and 20 respectively. I can see a world where they go to the Bundesliga and do quite well putting the ball in the back of the net. Young talent is what Dortmund do best with. They get TA and CHO, they have a couple productive seasons, and then flip them to a bigger team. 

I just wonder what the cash is once we would throw TA and CHO in. I would imagine Dortmund would still want 100-115M.

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm pretty sure the swap deal rumours are nonsense.

Very well would could be. I still think highly of CHO but wonder if/when he'll ever get a solid chance that isn't dependent on injury/match competition. The system we run now doesn't do him much favor being tucked inside, or playing at wing back. 

Also reading that Marc Guehi may be on his way to CP permanently. He played well at Swansea last season and I was looking forward to seeing how he'd progress this year. He'll be the second young academy CB we send off permanently after Tomori. Rudiger, Christensen, Silva all have one year left on their contracts so I'm not a fan of sending the young talent away, but one must afford Haaland somehow I suppose. 

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Very well would could be. I still think highly of CHO but wonder if/when he'll ever get a solid chance that isn't dependent on injury/match competition. The system we run now doesn't do him much favor being tucked inside, or playing at wing back. 

Also reading that Marc Guehi may be on his way to CP permanently. He played well at Swansea last season and I was looking forward to seeing how he'd progress this year. He'll be the second young academy CB we send off permanently after Tomori. Rudiger, Christensen, Silva all have one year left on their contracts so I'm not a fan of sending the young talent away, but one must afford Haaland somehow I suppose. 

Rüdiger will sign an extension soonish. He was put off last season after Chelsea desperately tried to offload him uner Lampard, then Tuchel came and Rüdiger was a key player once again. So he wanted to see how the managerial position would develop before signing a new contract. Now that Tuchel's position seems pretty secure after the CL triumph and his automatic contract extension Rüdiger will be more (than) willing to enter contract talks with the club. That didn't happen earlier because he wanted to play the Euros first. Silva's days are obviously numbered given his age. Christensen might be up for an extension, too.And you are still (altho loosely) linked to Bayern's Süle.

That Haaland deal is not happening. Dortmund are kinda adament about them not seeing off both Sancho and Haaland this year. With Sancho sold to United that means Haaland is staying.

Going back to Süle, Bayern are willing to part ways with him (he is also entering his last year of his contract). Rumoredly 30-40m € is how they value him. If you don't want to spend that money on him, you can probably offload CHO in a swap deal there.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Not sure if this is the best use of our resources. Yeah, he's a decent player, but whether he's better than what we already have is up for debate. If we do not drop it large on a striker I will be most disappointed.

20 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Rüdiger will sign an extension soonish. He was put off last season after Chelsea desperately tried to offload him uner Lampard, then Tuchel came and Rüdiger was a key player once again. So he wanted to see how the managerial position would develop before signing a new contract. Now that Tuchel's position seems pretty secure after the CL triumph and his automatic contract extension Rüdiger will be more (than) willing to enter contract talks with the club. That didn't happen earlier because he wanted to play the Euros first. Silva's days are obviously numbered given his age. Christensen might be up for an extension, too.And you are still (altho loosely) linked to Bayern's Süle.

That Haaland deal is not happening. Dortmund are kinda adament about them not seeing off both Sancho and Haaland this year. With Sancho sold to United that means Haaland is staying.

Going back to Süle, Bayern are willing to part ways with him (he is also entering his last year of his contract). Rumoredly 30-40m € is how they value him. If you don't want to spend that money on him, you can probably offload CHO in a swap deal there.

Yeah anything we get from Silva is house money at this point. I just don't like the idea of offloading talent in their early 20's in a position that we've had trouble with in recent years till Tuchel's arrival. What if Tuchel has a shit season, gets sacked, now we're stuck with Rudiger and Christensen that were wildly inconsistent prior to Tuchel being hired? That makes me uneasy. Either or, I understand the need to raise funds for big transfers, so worth the roll of the dice. 

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to sell Haaland now opposed to next summer when his release clause triggers for a far less amount? That's why I'm saying from their perspective to take about 100M or so for Haaland, get CHO and TA, let them prosper, and sell them if they wish for a ton of money like they've done with Dembele, Pulisic, Auba, etc. I get that their performance isn't guaranteed but the Bundesliga will likely be more welcoming to goal scorers opposed to PL.

19 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah anything we get from Silva is house money at this point. I just don't like the idea of offloading talent in their early 20's in a position that we've had trouble with in recent years till Tuchel's arrival. What if Tuchel has a shit season, gets sacked, now we're stuck with Rudiger and Christensen that were wildly inconsistent prior to Tuchel being hired? That makes me uneasy. Either or, I understand the need to raise funds for big transfers, so worth the roll of the dice. 

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to sell Haaland now opposed to next summer when his release clause triggers for a far less amount? That's why I'm saying from their perspective to take about 100M or so for Haaland, get CHO and TA, let them prosper, and sell them if they wish for a ton of money like they've done with Dembele, Pulisic, Auba, etc. I get that their performance isn't guaranteed but the Bundesliga will likely be more welcoming to goal scorers opposed to PL.

Not a dig against CHO and Abraham, but they are clearly not on the same level. And it's a bit of a roll of the dice if they'll hit that level and both are completely different types of players. For Dortmund to part with Haaland you'd have to throw crazy BIG money at them. 160-180m € might change their mind (at least that's the numbers that are circulating). Haaland's release clause is 80m € next season (some reports claim it's going to be north of that, as his release fee is rumoredly tied to achievements, if he hits those the the release fee gets higher and he has apparently hit a few last season). Dortmund think it's better to hold on to their World Class forward to help them qualify for the CL again. CL qualification (and thus CL money) is an integral part of their calculus. Anyway, if you follow Dortmund's valuation of Haaland of being worth 180m (yeah, I take the biggest value), and you offer 100m + the two of them. That means you'd put a price tag of 80m for the pair of Odoi and Abraham. Which looks inflated for a rotation (Odoi) option and a back up striker. Odoi I could see going for 30-40m if a club really wants him (and that's the most Chelsea could hope for imho), but Abraham? Tammy Abraham is a fun player, but absolutely not 40m worth of fun. Dortmund is not Sheffield United and Chelsea is not Liverpool.

Apparently Chelsea have put a £40m price tag on Abraham. That's the fee a few of their journos have reported that the club is looking for which might explain why there has been little to no interest. Maybe one of the mid or lower premier league clubs decide to pay that. Brighton have £50m from the Ben White transfer and are desperate for a CF.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Tammy Abraham is a fun player, but absolutely not 40m worth of fun.

In the current climate for strikers? He almost definitely is. Having a Prem-competent striker is such an advantage and there's such a lack of proven quality in that role all over that there are no foreign options that aren't really a massive gamble. Leicester can take a 23mil punt on Patson Daka coz they've still got a bit of time before Vardy is out of the picture but in a climate where Ollie Watkins is costing 28mil straight out of the championship and as mentioned Brewster cost 23, a striker we know can score 15 goals in the league is gonna tempt offers even at 50mil. 

Surprised Nketiah is leaving, I like his style. Lot of hustle, good movement. He'll be a steal at 15mil.

Archived