Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

7 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Given that Giroud has moved on, it may well be that Chelsea would prefer that Abraham stays.

I agree. Werner leading the line isn't exactly an abundance of goals based on what we saw last season. Need some backup. I'm hoping Werner can improve on his scoring with a competent coach and an actual preseason without restrictions. May just do him some good. 

So we seem to be bringing in a backup keeper. Exciting times!

..also, we're linked with wingers all around. Townsend (seems more or less done), Gray, McNeill, Leon Bailey. I do think we may be in the market for a winger. Yes, indeed.

Which suggests Benitez is going for the simple plan regarding next season - when you have a tall and athletic CF, give him crosses. 

(Sure, I would wager he has more plans than that. But ... seems an okay bet.)

30 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

It sounds like Everton are going to need to get another midfielder too...

From the details in the papers it could technically still be one they were trying to get rid of anyway, but yeah, uhhh, it does seem to be the one the rumours were about on the weekend. 

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

From the details in the papers it could technically still be one they were trying to get rid of anyway, but yeah, uhhh, it does seem to be the one the rumours were about on the weekend. 

If it wasn't who I think, I'd expect them to deny it rather than their wife  

Most people seem pretty sure who the player is, though I'm not sure we should be saying it out loud on the forum. Anyone curious could always pop over to Twitter and see who's trending alongside Adam Johnson.

Anyway, Liverpool are finally managing to shift a few of their fringe players. Grujic has gone and Awoniyi is close behind, with Wilson hopefully on his way soon too. Hopefully we can scrape enough money together to get ourselves another forward.

18 minutes ago, john said:

The police announced it was a 31 year old experienced international. I don’t think they’re particularly interested about hiding the identity.

The police announced it was a 31 year old (though some quotes have it without the age and none of them link to the statement, though that might be spokespeople simple emailing different newspapers different statements). They didn't announce it was a player at all, let alone an international, that seems to have come from a source the Mirror has at the club. Obviously Everton have since confirmed it's one of their first team players, unless in a vanishingly unlikely coincidence two North-Western Premier League footballers have been arrested for the same charge on the same day. But there's still no 'official' source for the international player bit.

Tickets acquired for a pre-season friendly in a couple of weeks! Honestly, watching arsenal games is probably the thing that excited me the most about moving to england.

Nice thing is that the arsenal women play on the same day as well and I get to watch both games.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The police announced it was a 31 year old (though some quotes have it without the age and none of them link to the statement, though that might be spokespeople simple emailing different newspapers different statements). They didn't announce it was a player at all, let alone an international, that seems to have come from a source the Mirror has at the club. Obviously Everton have since confirmed it's one of their first team players, unless in a vanishingly unlikely coincidence two North-Western Premier League footballers have been arrested for the same charge on the same day. But there's still no 'official' source for the international player bit.

Technically Everton haven't confirmed their statement relates to this story, and I don't think the Everton statement confirmed an arrest or charge, just a police investigation. But it is an unusual coincidence.

Also, good to see everyone's not naming any names here - we don't want to get the board into legal trouble for contempt.

Moving on from the fantasies of a senior Evertonian international about adventures in Willie Wonka's chocolate factory. To another blue club in another league, and moving back to racism. No, this isn't about me taking another shit on the blue Glaswegian club. It's about Lazio.

Elseid Hysaj has just moved there on a free from Napoli. And as part of the ritual to integrate new players into the squad, he also had to stand on a chair and sing a song. His pick was the Italian anti-fascist anthem Bella Ciao. Luis Alberto shared the performance on social media, and it went down as predicted with the Lazio Ultras. According to media reports they tried to confront Hysaj at the team hotel, and on a bridge in Rome a banner appeared, which they signed. It read "Hysaj is a worm. Lazio is fascist." One of the Ultra leaders was quoted by the news Agency Adnkronos with the words "Historically, our fans have always been rightwing extremist. And I say that with pride" Somebody wearing the Lazio kit and singing Bella Ciao with pride was completely crazy and inexcusable.

The club tried to distance itself from its fans (as is tradition).

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Elseid Hysaj has just moved there on a free from Napoli. And as part of the ritual to integrate new players into the squad, he also had to stand on a chair and sing a song. His pick was the Italian anti-fascist anthem Bella Ciao. Luis Alberto shared the performance on social media, and it went down as predicted with the Lazio Ultras. According to media reports they tried to confront Hysaj at the team hotel, and on a bridge in Rome a banner appeared, which they signed. It read "Hysaj is a worm. Lazio is fascist." One of the Ultra leaders was quoted by the news Agency Adnkronos with the words "Historically, our fans have always been rightwing extremist. And I say that with pride" Somebody wearing the Lazio kit and singing Bella Ciao with pride was completely crazy and inexcusable.

The club tried to distance itself from its fans (as is tradition).

To think that as a kid, Lazio was my favorite Italian club because of some of its players. Ignorance is bliss.

Why does this club exist?

18 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

That's a bizarre incident.

Glad Hysaj did that, he probably knew he'd piss them off. No way anyone doesn't know what their fans are about. But it's not only them that are fascists on there.

I am inclined to believe that you are giving Hysaj too much credit. I also think, that he knew what his new fans are, when he signed there. However, I don't think he spent too much thought on the song and its story. If he wanted to make a political statement, he wouldn't have signed there and published a message about not wanting to play for racists and fascists instead.

Undoubtedly. Italian football is full of those. But Lazio is just the biggest and ugliest pile of shit club.

Archived