Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

21 minutes ago, Nero C. C. A. Germanicus said:

What?

Nobody has mentioned how Solyent singlehandedly drove Wijnaldum from Liverpool? Shame on you guys!

There are work situations wherein, if you feel valued and appreciated, you will stay on longer despite not receiving all the remuneration that you deserve.

But when you are underpaid AND underappreciated, it is easy to leave.

For professional athletes, they have an added layer of "appreciative onlookers" that the rest of us don't.  I may have to consider the expectations and assessment of the Board, and my boss, and my peer group, and my staff.  The professional athlete today has all of those plus however so many fans online and the press.

When the tone of the reporting is, "Gini isn't working hard enough because he isn't paid like he wants" and the tone of the idiocracy online is "You lazy black @#$%", you can see how departing becomes an attractive option.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Social media is such that I've no doubt he received plenty of abuse whilst he was with us, but he left because he wanted more money and a longer contract than we were willing to offer, not because of any abuse.

You would say that, yeah.

I do tend to agree, though.

If this does go through it'll be incredibly stark how different our transfer dealings are since Woodward stepped back and whatshischops got promoted to DoF. Two key transfers in the most key positions, sorted before the season starts? Da fuck is that.

Some reports coming through now that talks with Real Madrid are at an advanced stage and it's just final details to be sorted out - fee expected to be around €50m. 

There's also increasing reports that PSG are going to make a formal offer for Pogba.

I really really don't wanna lose Pogba but if he's not signing a new contract and PSG offer enough to get a proper replacement, we should. 

Of course, some of our fanbase are gonna just rejoice on the basis that Pogba leaving means Van de Beek will definitely play instead, even though Pogba spent significant chunks of last season in a position he wasn't competing with VdB in, but... 

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I really really don't wanna lose Pogba but if he's not signing a new contract and PSG offer enough to get a proper replacement, we should. 

Of course, some of our fanbase are gonna just rejoice on the basis that Pogba leaving means Van de Beek will definitely play instead, even though Pogba spent significant chunks of last season in a position he wasn't competing with VdB in, but... 

I don't think we will get anything more than €50m for Pogba. Maybe we will look at Neves if he leaves since we would need someone to replace his long passing range from deep. The Camavinga talks have died down and was reported that the player prefers a move to Spain. The profile of midfielder that Solskjaer has been trying to get in and that we have reliably been linked to under him has been B2B ball carrier types (Bellingham and Camavinga) so I wouldn't be too surprised if Renato Sanches' name pops up.

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

As good as Pogba can be, I think United will benefit from getting someone more consistent in, even if their peak isn't quite as high.

Yeah. I'm not too fussed about losing Pogba. He's class on his day but those days are few and far between. He basically only shows up for about a third of a season and is either injured or meh for the rest. I'd have been more disappointed if we renewed him on 350-400k wages. He's done nothing at United to warrant that. Bruno has done more for United in 1.5 seasons than Pogba has done in 5 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Luiz and Thiago Silva made it fashionable to sign aged CBs for a last hurrah, although Varane would be some way ahead of either.  This deal and Sancho are good signings for gaps in the United team, and once again United have very deep pockets for their transfers.  All the Glazer hate really overlooks just how much they’ve funded this squad, even when they weren’t getting great returns.

CM probably needs to be addressed too, but that will depend on whether Pogba runs down his contract — which doesn’t seem to suit anyone. 

43 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

All the Glazer hate really overlooks just how much they’ve funded this squad, even when they weren’t getting great returns.

All the Glazer hate is for them saddling the club with debt from a leveraged buyout which has seen close to a billion pounds drained out of the club to service that debt. The Glazers get more than enough returns out of the the club regardless of how United perform on the pitch since the club pays out more in dividends every year than all the other clubs in the premier league combined. 

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

He's class on his day but those days are few and far between. He basically only shows up for about a third of a season and is either injured or meh for the rest.

See I think this is unfair. He isn't at his best that often but Pogba just keeping it simple moving the ball about is still more effective at getting the ball through to the forwards than the vast majority of other players. The problem is less that than lapses in concentration mean he can't be a deep-lying or even box-too-box mid without a better full DM than the ones we've got and he isn't gonna replace Bruno in a no10 role, so it's awkward finding a fit for him. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Luiz and Thiago Silva made it fashionable to sign aged CBs for a last hurrah, although Varane would be some way ahead of either.  

I feel like calling a 28 year old aged and here for his last hurrah is a bit of a stretch. 

Yeah, 28 is a central defender still in his prime. Varane at the end of this deal could maybe be described as 'aged' but now? No.

Pogba, well I know it's not original to say this but it's true: can't see the point in keeping him. Not sure I ever really saw the point in signing him. He was good sometimes, but for the money Man U paid in fees and wages, they surely could've done better. 

The problem with our CB situation isn't Maguire and Varane being both 28. In fact, it makes a lot of sense to play 'middle-aged' CBs now, considering we have Tuanzebe and Mengi (23 and 19) coming in from the academy, and they need a couple more years to get into the 1st team.

The problem is that we don't look interested to offload the players in between these two generations, who aren't very good themselves: we gave Bailly a fresh new contract, I think Lindelof had a new one around a year ago, and I don't even want to talk about Phil Jones.

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What the fuck is wrong with Rooney? Can he make his mind up? Is he into grannies or teenagers? 

He is a man of many flavours. He only setttled for his wife as a (mathematical) compromise between tenny and granny, so that you couldn't judge him anymore.

Archived