Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Corvinus85

Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

The problem with our CB situation isn't Maguire and Varane being both 28. In fact, it makes a lot of sense to play 'middle-aged' CBs now, considering we have Tuanzebe and Mengi (23 and 19) coming in from the academy, and they need a couple more years to get into the 1st team.

The problem is that we don't look interested to offload the players in between these two generations, who aren't very good themselves: we gave Bailly a fresh new contract, I think Lindelof had a new one around a year ago, and I don't even want to talk about Phil Jones.

I'm fine with Bailly and Lindelof as backups. Tuanzebe has shown some potential in flashes but right now he is most definitely not better (or even as good) than either Lindelof or Bailly and is as injury prone as Bailly is. He's also not a youngster anymore either - we need to send him out on loan or sell him because he is clearly 5th choice at United now. We are not doing his development any favours by hanging onto him just because he's an academy product. Phil Jones is unsellable.

Edited by Consigliere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really know what the fuss is about with Rooney. Like okay he shouldn't be getting into that state as a man of his position in the public eye, but '35 year old gets drunk' is hardly paper-worthy news, and there's no evidence that anything happened beyond him getting hammered and passing out in a chair. And if it did you'd have to wonder if he was in a fit state to have agreed to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't really know what the fuss is about with Rooney. Like okay he shouldn't be getting into that state as a man of his position in the public eye, but '35 year old gets drunk' is hardly paper-worthy news, and there's no evidence that anything happened beyond him getting hammered and passing out in a chair. And if it did you'd have to wonder if he was in a fit state to have agreed to it. 

I don't think you have seen all the pictures? He is a married man very much in the public eye with kids, he must be as thick as a whale omelette.

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

he must be as thick as a whale omelette.



I mean, we knew that already.
 

 

I'm not sure what pictures you're referring to other than the four that did the rounds on twitter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:



I mean, we knew that already.
 

 

I'm not sure what pictures you're referring to other than the four that did the rounds on twitter. 

Some stripper (or whoever she was) was riding him in a club. If I did that I'd be getting divorce papers immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Some stripper (or whoever she was) was riding him in a club. If I did that I'd be getting divorce papers immediately. 

 I mean that's between him and Colleen, I just don't see why we should care. 

 

 

But yeah the only one I've seen in the club is some blonde girl giving him a nuzzle. It's gonna be awkward at home but even there there isn't any indication he's cheating or anything else, even if his history suggests he might have been trying it. 

 

 

I'd be far more worried by the fact that he joined in Derby training to make up for a lack of numbers and put one of his players out of action for 12 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were Derby, though, I’d be wondering how Rooney is now going to discipline any of his players for doing dumb shit involving clubs, drink and/or dubious behaviour with young women. Or any other form of unprofessional conduct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mormont said:

If I were Derby, though, I’d be wondering how Rooney is now going to discipline any of his players for doing dumb shit involving clubs, drink and/or dubious behaviour with young women. Or any other form of unprofessional conduct. 

By chopping them down in training and injuring them, apparently!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, polishgenius said:


I feel like calling a 28 year old aged and here for his last hurrah is a bit of a stretch. 

 

8 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah, 28 is a central defender still in his prime. Varane at the end of this deal could maybe be described as 'aged' but now? No.

For some reason I thought he was more like 30-31.  Maybe because he’s been visible at a top club for so long already.  That’s a good price for a multi title winning CB at his peak, even considering his contract.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Police now investigating an allegation of blackmail against Rooney. 

Obviously nobody deserves to be blackmailed, but in his place he should not be putting himself in a position for that to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The probably with Varane is that in the last season or two, he has been too error prone. Seems like he spaces out of games. Perhaps it's a matter of motivation.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Alaba left Bayern because he didn't want to play as a CB anymore. If that's the case, out of the frying pan and into the fire, it seems, because clearly he and Militão will be the starters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Tottenham concluded the Lamela-Gil swap. Honestly I never watched Gil but I guess Lamela won't be missed for them with his fitness issues. 

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Police now investigating an allegation of blackmail against Rooney. 

Obviously nobody deserves to be blackmailed, but in his place he should not be putting himself in a position for that to happen. 

It's insane how a deed that is not considered criminal can be used as a tool against a person. It still can damage one's reputation to a high degree, sometimes to a point of no return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Alaba left Bayern because he didn't want to play as a CB anymore. If that's the case, out of the frying pan and into the fire, it seems, because clearly he and Militão will be the starters.

That was just a convenient excuse. Alaba left Bayern because they refused to bend over and pay him €20+ million per year. He will happily player wherever Ancelotti wants him to since Real accepted his demands and handed him a 5 year contract at €24m/year + a signing bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There's a report that Inter rejected a 130 million offer from Chelsea for Lukaku. I don't know if that's true, but that's a great chance to make a profit on him, considering his age, the fee paid to bring him, and salary.

Plus, Conte is not here anymore so the new manager won't rage quit because his favourite player is sold.

 

Edited by The Sunland Lord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

There's a report that Inter rejected a 130 million offer from Chelsea for Lukaku. I don't know if that's true, but that's a great chance to make a profit on him, considering his age, the fee paid to bring him, and salary.

Plus, Conte is not here anymore so the new manager won't rage quit because his favourite player is sold.

Marotta did give an interview a few days ago saying that Inter will not even consider any offer for Lukaku.

 

ETA. Di Marzio reporting that progress is being made between Chelsea and Sevilla for Jules Kounde. Optimism that the deal will be concluded soon for a fee of around €30-35m + Zouma.

Edited by Consigliere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Marotta did give an interview a few days ago saying that Inter will not even consider any offer for Lukaku.

I don't see why, when a 22 year old Hakimi was sold for 70 million to PSG after just one year of his contract, while Lukaku is 28 year old, with a big salary, and unlikely to improve at this point. 

That is to say, if an offer has arrived.

Edited by The Sunland Lord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Di Marzio reporting that progress is being made between Chelsea and Sevilla for Jules Kounde. Optimism that the deal will be concluded soon for a fee of around €30-35m + Zouma.

Being included as a makeweight in an international transfer must be a deeply weird experience. Like, a major development in your entire life and career is being treated as a footnote in someone else's career move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I don't see why, when a 22 year old Hakimi was sold for 70 million to PSG after just one year of his contract, while Lukaku is 28 year old, with a big salary, and unlikely to improve at this point. 


Because as talented as Hakimi is there are loads of good right backs and even a lot of the cheaper ones, while not as gifted, may be easier to fit in on a tactical basis (specifically playing RB as well as RWB), and Inter will have been reasonably confident of being able to replace him for a reasonable price. 

On the other hand the chances of finding a good replacement for Lukaku aren't that high even if they dedicated the full 130mil to the search - they're not getting any of the players definitely better than him and other options they might be able to get, like maybe DLC or En-Nesyri, are a huge gamble in a position they couldn't afford to fail in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the €30-35m + Zouma for Koundé deal happens, then the report about the 130m offer for Lukaku sounds a bit weird. I mean, one move is possibly one of the smartest this window, while the other looks like something only a Woodward-run club would try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...