Final: England v Italy

Why give penalties to the youngest players in the side? Putting all that pressure on Saka?! Mental

Looking at the two team talks before penalties you could imagine England losing. Nobody in the England camp knew who was taking what, Southgate looked totally flustered. 

2 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

So sorry, England.

The noise in the streets is already happening here.

Nothing here yet... I'm getting scared. Gotta take the dog out.

The better side won.

Southgate's conservative tactics has finally bitten him.

Bringing on Rashford and Sancho out from the cold with 2 minutes remaining to take penalties was a terrible idea. Henderson should have stayed on to take a penalty; he's also good at them and an experienced player.

Three black players missing - hang onto your hats for the flood of racial abuse coming their way.

See, what you guys were missing in the game was the sound of gunshots in the background. During the break I watched the golf tournament, the John Deere, and there's a gun range near the golf course. All during the play that I watched all you could hear was boom-boom-boom, and you wondered, is someone getting murdered on the golf course?

It was truly the most American golf game ever!

Yeah, this is why I asked before the game was over. I still think Southgate can say he’s the best English manager currently working. He got you to the final! Maybe he overthought it by bringing on Rashford and Sancho. But Jorginho also missed, you know? So did Bellotti. Experienced players can miss. And we don’t know what happened with Sterling, Stones, Grealish et al.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Henderson should have stayed on to take a penalty; he's also good at them and an experienced player.

I imagine he would have stuck his hand up to take one but he’s missed his last two penalties for England so they probably didn’t want him to. Rashford’s probably fair enough for me, he’s someone you’d generally back to score. Sancho and Saka are a little stranger but I assume they’ve volunteered.

ETA: I am surprised Grealish wasn’t ahead of Saka though. It even looked like Southgate was pointing to him in the huddle and he was nodding his head.

Just now, mormont said:

Yeah, this is why I asked before the game was over. I still think Southgate can say he’s the best English manager currently working. He got you to the final! Maybe he overthought it by bringing on Rashford and Sancho. But Jorginho also missed, you know? So did Bellotti. Experienced players can miss. And we don’t know what happened with Sterling, Stones, Grealish et al.

It's not that experienced players don't miss, more protecting 19 year olds from the consequences of missing for me. 

I’m not sure what happened after the second half began, whether Mancini changed things enough that England couldn’t react, whether Southgate genuinely believed he could hit Italy on the break ( despite those long passes never coming off and Sterling nor Kane getting past their backline) , or whether England ran out of steam and just sat tight and crossed their fingers 

Either way I’m starting to question Southgate now , even though I’ve been moatly Impressed with what he’s done

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Damn England fans are quick to turn on him.

That was always likely to be the case. The conservative brand of football he plays will never endear him to a lot of England fans unless he wins especially given the wealth of attacking talent at his disposal.

Deschamps faced the same criticisms for the same reasons but won a world cup.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

Fair. Though Donnarumma isn’t that much older, really. And is player of the tournament!

It’s a bit different for keepers though. It’s basically a no lose situation for them. Make a save and you’re a hero, don’t make a save and the taker’s expected to score anyway.

Archived