Heresy 237 The Ballad of Trouserless Bob Baratheon

Black Crow

1 hour ago, Melifeather said:

While Black Crow is mulling over which topic to expand on in the next Heresy, I too was thinking of topics that maybe we haven't addressed fully. I thought of three that I'd like to know more about:

1) What the Starks Forgot

2) What Were Rickard's Southron Ambitions 

3) The Significance of the Royce's Bronze and Iron Armor

And in case it is needed I could elaborate why I think the series ended with ADwD and GRRM, being the unreliable narrator, just "forgot" to tell us.

20 hours ago, alienarea said:

And in case it is needed I could elaborate why I think the series ended with ADwD and GRRM, being the unreliable narrator, just "forgot" to tell us.

Go on... we still have a page to go on this one.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, Melifeather said:

What Were Rickard's Southron Ambitions

I think Rickard Stark and Jon Arryn were attempting to consolidate power in the kingdom.  Perhaps in response to Aerys growing madness.  Presumably the Maesters or some Maesters were involved.  While it's tempting to assume that Harrenhal was Rhaegar's response, I tend to doubt it. 

Aerys suspicion of Rhaegar's motives at Harrenhal don't add up to Rhaegar trying to stave off a threat to Aerys' rule.  There is no reason that Rhaegar would have gone behind Aerys' back if that was his motive.

Nor do I think that Rhaegar's motive was to secretly assemble a Great Council to remove his father.  The events post Harrenhal seem to conclude that Rhaegar was still invested in keeping Aerys on the throne.  At least for the time being.

My guess is that Harrenhal was Rhaegar's continuing preperation for the Battle for the Dawn.  Which explains why so many young nobles, (and their King's blood) were invited.  Nothing inflames passions like a tourney apparently.  And apparently there was a belief that nothing hatches stone dragons like the blood of royal bastards.

Ironically if true, then Rhaegar's attentions may have been where Rickard's should have been, preparing for a Long Night.  Which could explain why a Night's Watch recruiter was invited to Harrenhal to try and recruit young knights to join the watch.

4 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Go on... we still have a page to go on this one.

In short:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramatic_structure

It starts with this link, move on to Freytag's pyramid. He structures the drama into five steps (i.e. books)

Introduction (A Game of Thrones)

Rise (A Clash of Kings)

Climax (A Storm of Swords)

Return or Fall (A Feast for Crows)

Catastrophe (A Dance with Dragons)

If we go by the main characters of the original synopsis, most them have reached their destination:

- Bran becomes a tree

- Jon saved the wildlings, sealed the wall and died

- Arya completed her training

- Daenerys is with the Dothraki

- Tyrion in Mereen 

If we take the books as a snapshot of life, it is true they cannot have an absolute end and most questions remain open.

The end of the series is how each of us imagines it.

18 hours ago, LongRider said:

Oh goody, then all my ships will find safe harbors. :love:     :lol:

That's not a bad sentiment. I long for GRRM to finish this saga in the way he wants and before I shuffle off this mortal coil. But if, for whatever reason, he doesn't, then I don't want somebody else coming along to finish it on his behalf. That somebody might be infinitely more talented than the hapless mummers crew, but I still want GRRM's ending or nothing.

38 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

That's not a bad sentiment. I long for GRRM to finish this saga in the way he wants and before I shuffle off this mortal coil. But if, for whatever reason, he doesn't, then I don't want somebody else coming along to finish it on his behalf. That somebody might be infinitely more talented than the hapless mummers crew, but I still want GRRM's ending or nothing.

Ditto.  I think we'll we'll get the next one within two years.  

On 8/20/2021 at 10:32 AM, alienarea said:

In short:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramatic_structure

It starts with this link, move on to Freytag's pyramid. He structures the drama into five steps (i.e. books)

Introduction (A Game of Thrones)

Rise (A Clash of Kings)

Climax (A Storm of Swords)

Return or Fall (A Feast for Crows)

Catastrophe (A Dance with Dragons)

If we go by the main characters of the original synopsis, most them have reached their destination:

- Bran becomes a tree

- Jon saved the wildlings, sealed the wall and died

- Arya completed her training

- Daenerys is with the Dothraki

- Tyrion in Mereen 

If we take the books as a snapshot of life, it is true they cannot have an absolute end and most questions remain open.

The end of the series is how each of us imagines it.

Well, Feast and Dance are really two halves of a single book. I'm thinking Winds and Spring will be two halves of the ending.

6 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Well, Feast and Dance are really two halves of a single book. I'm thinking Winds and Spring will be two halves of the ending.

Maybe, maybe not.

Jon (dead) and Bran (tree) reached the end of their stories.

From a certain point of view (Obi-Wan ;) , Tyrion, Daenerys and Arya did, too.

Archived