Primetime Emmys 2021

Corvinus85

In the year preceding the nominations, when many people had to stay indoors, the Emmy voters apparently watched a total of five shows.

Streaming services have smashed networks. The Crown and The Mandalorian have the most noms. Lovercraft Country made in the best drama because the voters likely ignored the bad episodes. It also made it in the VFX category because somehow its effects were on par with the likes of The Mandalorian and WandaVision. Cobra Kai, one of my favorite recent shows, is apparently a comedy. Who knew? The Mandalorian again manages to have its cake and eat it.

But the most teeth gnashing nom I spotted is in the Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Don Cheadle for Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Yep, for delivering a couple of lines with his hands in his pockets. I don't know the rules, but I don't know, maybe CARL LUMBLY actually deserved this one. Yes, he appeared in two episodes, but both were pretty limited.

Here is the complete list. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/emmy-nominations-announced-updating-live-152925426.html

JFC did they just nominate anyone eligible from The Crown.  I like the show, and other than the Mandalorian it's just about the only nominated show I watch, but come on.  Claire Foy got a guest actor nod for reading a two minute speech - although admittedly that's like a five act play compared to Cheadle's role as Rhodey.

While I too gave the list a weird look (and not that I take the Emmys too seriously since they snubbed the Wire and Deadwood).. but what was everyone really expecting out of the last year? Given global events, you have to assume this is an outlier year instead of an indication of trend (even if some of the productions were completed before lock-downs began). To put it another way, what drama/comedy/actor/actresses from the shows last year (or whatever the specific qualifying window of time is) would you have nominated vs the ones on that list?

Queen's Gambit is a lock for me in anthology actress and anthology series  --- though to be fair, that and The Boys are the only shows I've seen across any category. Maybe costume too but I haven't seen the other period shows competing and that's probably tough competition. 

14 hours ago, WarGalley said:

While I too gave the list a weird look (and not that I take the Emmys too seriously since they snubbed the Wire and Deadwood).. but what was everyone really expecting out of the last year? Given global events, you have to assume this is an outlier year instead of an indication of trend (even if some of the productions were completed before lock-downs began). To put it another way, what drama/comedy/actor/actresses from the shows last year (or whatever the specific qualifying window of time is) would you have nominated vs the ones on that list?

Surely, in a category where a show gets three separate nominees, another show could have replaced one of those. 

I would have nominated The Expanse for a few things, but the Emmys, like the Oscars, seldom cares about actual SF, it cares about the popular kind. His Dark Materials had some pretty good acting, music, and visuals. (Decent writing)

I mean, I liked The Mandalorian (at least the first season, haven't got around to continuing), but despite the initial promise of being "elevated" Star Wars, it really isn't. Made me find Giancarlo Esposito boring, which is an achievement. 

Archived