MLB 2021: The Shohei Must Go On*

kairparavel

Much better seeing the on players than the pics I saw leaked before. Still pretty bad. The City Connect jerseys and hats have been a train wreck too.

The players wearing their own (home or away) uniforms was better anyway.  Talk about fixing a problem that didn't exist.  Guess they really wanted more merchandise money.

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

And Tywin et al., you and me are gonna fight now. I don’t care how many of you there are.

Now you got me imagining the Neo/Mr. Smiths fight in Matrix Reloaded.

5 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Sorree Goblin King. I didn't know.

I’ll forgive you, this time. 

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Shit, you’re getting me excited for this fight.

17 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

And Tywin et al., you and me are gonna fight now. I don’t care how many of you there are.

I should warn you that I once had a brown belt with two black stripes in Taekwondo when I was 10 or 11 years old. 

15 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Also, on the subject of Shohei: did anyone else catch Stephen A. Smith’s racist hot take about him?

Racist? Idk. Xenophobic? Yes. Ignorant and bigoted? 100%

I liked him a long time ago, but he's really just a clown to be laughed at these days, and has been probably since I graduated from college.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

This dude's codpiece will prevent him from flying all around. Easy win, probably a flawless victory. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I liked him a long time ago, but he's really just a clown to be laughed at these days, and has been probably since I graduated from college.

He's always been a joke. 

Anyway just looked it up, and regardless of the racial/xenophobic implications, what a dumbass point to begin with.  Like anyone gives a shit what Mike Trout or Bryce Harper say, or that it'd help with "box office."  Hell if anything Bryce Harper could probably use a translator - perhaps that'd curb his tendency to sound like an idiot. 

Also, I remember Matsui continued to use an interpreter his entire career.  He obviously knew quite a bit of English, but did it to ensure his words weren't, well, misinterpreted.  It's the same reason heads of states use interpreters in joint press conferences.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

He's always been a joke. 

Anyway just looked it up, and regardless of the racial/xenophobic implications, what a dumbass point to begin with.  Like anyone gives a shit what Mike Trout or Bryce Harper say, or that it'd help with "box office."  Hell if anything Bryce Harper could probably use a translator - perhaps that'd curb his tendency to sound like an idiot. 

Also, I remember Matsui continued to use an interpreter his entire career.  He obviously knew quite a bit of English, but did it to ensure his words weren't, well, misinterpreted.  It's the same reason heads of states use interpreters in joint press conferences.

He's a wrestling character, and it's only gotten worse with time and more exposure, but he did use to be a good basketball analyst, many years ago. 

Otherwise I agree. MLB has been terrible at marketing their stars, and Trout and Harper are kind of bland anyways. Some of these younger players seem like they have a lot more star power. 

As far as translators go, so what? I've told you before I lived in a country for a short time and couldn't speak the language very well. Do you think I would want to give an interview on national TV? You know you're not able to articulate what you want to say if you're not fluent in the language, and at that point it's like wheels going off of a car. None of these guys want to sound dumb, hence why the need for translators is obvious and understandable. And for what it's worth, Shohei does speak to his coaches and teammates in English, so the whole point was dumb.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I should warn you that I once had a brown belt with two black stripes in Taekwondo when I was 10 or 11 years old. 

And I was briefly on my Junior High wrestling team. This fight is gonna be epic!

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

He's always been a joke. 

I think Darvish said he uses an interpreter in interviews so that both audiences, in the US and Japan, can understand what he’s saying.

And the idea that Trout or Harper would be a better face for MLB is ludicrous. Trout is an amazing ball player, but, and I’m sorry, he’s like the most boring guy in the world. And Harper is what, like maybe the 40th best player in the game? Maybe. Shohei has so much more charisma than either of them, and is way funner to watch. The face of the MLB really should be Max “Machismo” Muncy (and the legs of the MLB should be Walker Buehler) but failing that, you couldn’t do much better than Shohei. Too bad he’s stuck on the Angels.

12 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

And I was briefly on my Junior High wrestling team. This fight is gonna be epic!

Yeah, but I did letter varsity football as a RB and safety, so you may not want these problems. Goblins are really slow, after all.

Archived