MLB 2021: The Shohei Must Go On*

kairparavel

Schedule for 2022 is out. I may actually get to attend a game next year (let's be real: none of us know what the world looks like in 2022).

May even get to bring my gf to her first ever baseball game, which would be quite excellent.

See... I have to look forward to next year. This year is too depressing.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

LA teams are really into collecting old fogies. 

If this is a dig at Dodger legend Albert Pujols, shame on you! The man is playing like a 39 year old again.

24 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

If this is a dig at Dodger legend Albert Pujols, shame on you! The man is playing like a 39 year old again.

I just looked at his career stats and yeesh, has there ever been a drop off like that from an elite player after changing clubs? He had a >.900 OPS every season with the Cardinals and never got about that mark again. Guess that's what 41 going on 45 looks like.

14 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Tim Anderson walk off home run at the Field of Dreams. Hollywood couldn't script a better ending. 

Saw something on my social feed earlier that the movie came out in 1989 and final on the scorecard was:

1 (out) 9 (bottom inning) 8 (Yanks) 9 (Sox)

My friend and I did a road trip last year and stopped at the Field of Dreams. Pretty cool if you are a fan of the movie and baseball. $20 per car "donation". The gift shop was a let down, nothing related to the movie, must be a licensing thing. Walked the field and enjoyed it.  We also saw the stadium they built for this game, it was supposed to happen last year a few days after we were there.

So can his contract be voided by a morality clause? Or do the Dodgers just cut him loose to the tune of 80 million? And compounding all this is this country's terrible history in convicting sexual assaulters and abusers so breaking ties prior to a guilty verdict is a different kind of bad look.

See other posts on the Field of Dreams.

SI had a nice article about the game and hopes for it to become an annual outing.

• One hundred two years in five easy steps: Shoeless Joe Jackson played with Red Faber (who was from Iowa), who played with Billy Sullivan (who was from Chicago), who played with Bob Feller (Iowa), who played with Minnie Miñoso, who was managed by Tony La Russa.

7 hours ago, kairparavel said:

So can his contract be voided by a morality clause? Or do the Dodgers just cut him loose to the tune of 80 million? And compounding all this is this country's terrible history in convicting sexual assaulters and abusers so breaking ties prior to a guilty verdict is a different kind of bad look.

I believe the way it works is the Dodgers have to wait until the MLB investigation is done before they can invoke a morality clause. They can of course cut him at any time, but I think if they do it before the MLB investigation is over it makes it much more difficult to get out of paying the rest of the contract.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I believe the way it works is the Dodgers have to wait until the MLB investigation is done before they can invoke a morality clause. They can of course cut him at any time, but I think if they do it before the MLB investigation is over it makes it much more difficult to get out of paying the rest of the contract.

Well, they can cut him whenever they want, so let's not pretend that's a thing.  You're right though in terms of actually nixing the contract - whether it will count against their luxury tax, overall salary, etc.  I don't know exactly how that works.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I meant there's no real reason to "wait" for the MLB investigation to conclude, as you suggested.

Kair asked about invoking the morality clause, and I answered that to do so successfully the Dodgers need to wait for the MLB investigation to finish. As I understand it, if they cut him before the MLB investigation is over, even if the investigation eventually turns out to be damning, Bauer’s people can argue, probably successfully, that he was cut for PR reasons, rather than moral reasons. The evidence of this would be that the Dodgers cut him before the investigation was complete. If the Dodgers want to avoid cutting a $100 million check to a rapist, they need to wait. 

Archived