MLB 2021: The Shohei Must Go On*

kairparavel

I swear this season has seen me  the angriest or most ambivalent I've been for a Cardinals team in a decade.  June was goddamn infuriating with 9 wins and major injuries. Stunningly bad late inning losses multiple times, setting team records for incompetence.

Well, not a decade - 15 years, when the stacked 2006 team massively underperformed, alienated our fanbase, had three separate 7 game losing streaks, was one game over 500 and promptly fell into a championship. 

So again yep sorry Mysh, we will survive Mad Max somehow then win on some gritty bullshit in the 8th. You're fucked.

I missed this last weekend as we were road tripping until Wednesday. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/10/trevor-bauer-leave-2021-season-playoffs/

The eighth and final extension of Bauer’s paid leave this season was the result of an agreement between baseball and the players’ union, the official said. With roughly three weeks left in the Dodgers’ schedule and MLB’s investigation of Bauer ongoing, there was no real possibility of Bauer returning to play this season.

I read elsewhere [LA Times] that the temporary restraining order was lifted last month because 

the judge ruled that there was “no supportable evidence” that Bauer would be likely to “harm or even have contact” with the accuser. The judge also ruled that, although the woman’s injuries as pictured were “terrible,” they were sustained within the limits of sexual activity set by the woman.

If that were the case then I guess this whole investigation/administrative leave is like, one big misunderstanding! 

But my favorite talking point is from the WaPo link:

In a hearing over whether to grant the woman a more permanent protective order last month, Bauer’s attorneys argued that the woman encouraged him to engage in rough sex in an effort to ruin his career and win a financial settlement.

When people talk about rape culture, and specifically deny it's existence, that argument right there is one that enables it to continue. 

Fuck Trevor Bauer and the attitudes and systems within MLB, the law, and society that keep this bullshit going. 

Well the season is almost over and I can say it has been a really good one for the Detroit Tigers. They are still below .500 but they actually look like they can beat anyone. They also can lose to anyone but that part was expected. They already exceeded Vegas win total projection and have a winning record against teams in the playoff picture!!??? Was a stat I saw during a game recently so not sure on exact numbers.

They have two legitimate big hitters in the minors who will likely make the roster next year. Have to say I am impressed by AJ Hinch and the job he has done this season keeping their minds on track. 

Haven't been following the close of the season since the Twins have been such a disappointment, but the AL East battle looks to be wild for the next week and a half. Sucks that one of these teams is going to miss out when any of them would have run away with it if they were in the NL East. 

Yeah the AL East/wild card battle is getting pretty crazy.  The Yanks are clearly the least likely to make it into the elimination game - having to play both the Sox and Jays on the road and then Tampa while the Sox/Jays' other opponents are Baltimore (both), Minnesota (Jays), and Washington (Sox).

I've taken the lowered expectations tack at this point, so I'd be pleasantly surprised if they even make it to the elimination game.  A silver lining from this season for the Yanks has been their prospects.  A lot of them have taken big steps.  McDaniel just had on article on the surging prospects for each team, here's NY's blurb:

Anthony Volpe, SS

Volpe may be the single most surprising rising prospect in baseball. The report on him entering pro ball was solid average tools, great feel for the game, feel to hit and below average power. As a 20-year-old, he hit 27 homers across both A-ball levels while hitting just under .300 and getting on base over .400, and showing above-average tools across the board. He's at the top of a long list of risers for the Bombers: C Austin Wells (power-and-patience bat, improving behind the plate), RHP Randy Vasquez (low-A to Double-A this season as a starter), LHP Ken Waldichuk (2019 fifth-rounder is a pitch-design standout with towering strikeout rates), CF Everson Pereira (another elite feel/good tools type growing into his power) and SS Oswald Peraza (102nd on the preseason list to 42nd on the midseason list).

I'm headed to Tuesdays Cardinals game, and through my buddy's buddy, will have the best seats of my life - just off screen behind home plate.

Since this is the most baffling Cards team in a decade, winning 14 in a row after I spent the last three months absolutely trashing them, I fully expect a dull, disappointing loss. I truly have no idea what the hell is going on with this team.

The WC game against the Dodgers,  whose roster is like 2 orders of magnitude above us, or the inexplicably good Giants,  will be weird. 

One game "playoffs " is absolutely stupid for baseball. Cranky old man yelling at kids, but I would be completely happy forever with 3 division Champs and one WC. The regular season grind should be compelling, every win counts. This coinflip game garbage is lame.

Big day for the Yanks with a win over the Jays and the Soxs losing to maybe the worst team in the league. This afternoon all three teams had a >80% chance of making the playoffs. Yanks gained slightly while Boston dropped below 75% and the Jays are at less than 35%. 

I can't even talk about my own ridiculously unlikely team but my compadres up in Seattle are absolutely who I'm rooting for out in the AL. Its crazy out there right now. Each day until 162 (or maybe 163) will make or break a season for a team.

I absolutely loathe this continuing playoff expansion beyond one wild card team,  but boy has this September been amazing.

Archived