MLB 2021: The Shohei Must Go On*

kairparavel

Cubs got a lode of prospects. Really about the best that you could hope for -- we'll see how it pays off. It puts a lot of pressure on an entire group of prospects to help remake the core of the dynastic crew that ended the Cubs drought.

Would have liked to see the Sawx make a stronger play for Gray or Maeda (as was rumored to be connected with Rays). Then again -- the farm system is in a rebuild and they (allegedly/apparently/self-imposed*uh*ly) little financial flexibility.

So, my take on winners and losers of the deadline:

Winners:

Dodgers: The Dodgers got the two best payers moved at the deadline. Sure, it cost two top prospects, but one of those guys, Ruiz, was completely expendable.

Twins: The Twins got a pretty great haul for Berrios.

Honorable mention to the Cubs and Nats, who recognized their situations and did what they had to do.

Losers:

Padres: The Pads watched the Dodgers get Scherzer and Turner, and the Giants get Bryant, while they came away with nothing. They’re third in the division, and the two teams ahead of them just got better.

Rockies: WTF are these dummies doing? How is it that they didn’t move anyone? They should be tearing it all down and selling the parts.

Bradford Doolittle called the Cubs and Twins losers. 

I'd begrudgingly call the Yanks a winner.  What they gave up for Rizzo and an innings-eater in Andrew Heaney is almost entirely negligible (the almost being I still have a bit of prospect crush on Alcantara).  And while they gave up three guys I like for Gallo, he does also help next year.  I did not expect them to upgrade/patch up the team as much as they did without giving up any of their top 8-10 prospects.  All that being said, it's still annoying as fuck they're giving up more/better prospects just so they can stay under the luxury tax.

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

I kinda see his point re: the Cubs. They have the money to have resigned at least one of those guys, and that they’re crying poor is both ridiculous and bad for baseball. But that’s all bigger picture stuff. In the narrower view, they got good returns for players that were departing at the end of the season. As for the Twins; they traded a #3 starter for two high end prospects. That’s a win.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All three would get hurt before the fight started. 

I dunno as long as they didn't have to run to the fight I think they'd be alright.  Interesting Gallo took ARod's old number (13), the first Yank to do so since.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno as long as they didn't have to run to the fight I think they'd be alright.  Interesting Gallo took ARod's old number (13), the first Yank to do so since.

I don't really know much about Gallo, but I don't actually view either Judge or Stanton as fighters. They both seem like the type of guy who would just be like, "Really, do you actually want to do this?" And the response from any sane guy has to be "fuck no."

Voit is the guy I'd be afraid to fight.

I mean, sure, both Stanton and Judge seem like very affable guys.  Doesn't mean they couldn't kick the shit out of most other baseball players.  I don't know enough about Gallo either.  Voit does seem to have that intensity going for him, yeah...

Mets fail to sign first rounder (10th overall) Kumar Rocker. Anyone who’s been following this year’s draft class knows that it was one of the draft’s biggest surprises that Rocker fell all the way to 10, so the fact that the Mets didn’t sign him (reportedly didn’t even make an offer) says they were real spooked about his medicals. Either that, or they’re just being the Mets.

50 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

says they were real spooked about his medicals.

Sounds like that's the case.  It's hardly unprecedented.  Far be it from me to not make fun of the Mets, but this stuff happens, and all it means is they'll get the 11th pick next year.

It's been a pretty embarrassing saga for the Mets. Screws over Rocker - he wasn't going back to Vandy so he now has to chill for a year and then re-enter the draft. Steve Cohen tweeted about what an investment asset a draft pick is -- which is pretty gauche. Ugly. 

Archived